Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS slide stop

Mountbkr

Got a question for the experts here. Single stack major {45} what's your opinion on whether or not the slide stop should be operative? I know in open and limited most are disabled but have had a couple of people say they seem to believe it should be operative for SS, thoughts, reasons one way or the other?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My opinion:  for the divisions that limit us to 8 or 10 rnds (SS, Prod, L10) I want the slide stop to be operational.  For Limited it doesn’t matter as much since I hope to never go empty during a stage but have modified my mag’s followers to not trip the slide stop when empty.  

I think it should definitely be operative on a single stack. You will have a lot of mag changes and possibly run dry on steel especially. In open and limited you should never really run dry so have a slide stop that doesn’t work is not a big deal. 

Slide lock in USPSA is a personal preference when discussing Single Stack.  I assume the majority of competitors  run active slide stops (open on last round), but that does not mean it’s the best for everyone.  If you are interested in running a passive slide stop go for it.  It boils down to whether you believe you are faster and more reliable dropping the slide stop or sling shoting the slide. The truth will present itself in the timer.  Either way, if you know your stage plan there shouldn’t be a situation where an empty gun (slide lock) reload catches you off guard.

Edited by JWard79

Keep it.  Among many other reasons, sometimes you will purposely go to slide lock on those once in a while stages that demand it.  You want the slide lock reload to be as fast as possible, which means having the slide locked back and releasing it with the reloading hand's thumb while regaining grip is faster than having to run the slide after seating the magazine.  A faster slide lock reload, whether purposeful or not, is best with the slide locked back.  And, like mentioned above, you will want the notification you ran dry on that Texas star.

18 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

If all you shoot is SS run it the way you will.

IF

you shoot more than one division set them all up the same

I disagree with this, if you shot Hi cap divisions as well as single stack you will want the slide stop to work even if your limited guns doesn't.  My reasoning is if your used to having 20 rounds you will end up running dry and may instinctively rack the slide to get going again only to find that its still empty, if the slide locks back its a good indicator to your brain that its out not malfunctioning.

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I disagree with this, if you shot Hi cap divisions as well as single stack you will want the slide stop to work even if your limited guns doesn't.  My reasoning is if your used to having 20 rounds you will end up running dry and may instinctively rack the slide to get going again only to find that its still empty, if the slide locks back its a good indicator to your brain that its out not malfunctioning.

Everybody's got to do what they need to do for them.

I'm just an A class limited and SS shooter so my 2cents is worth what you paid.

Look, the reason for no slide lock in Limited and Open is the following:  if you don't modify the followers, the slide will lock back with one round in the mag.  If you do modify the followers, everything will work fine until the spring looses tension, and then it won't lock back anymore.  To get around the modifications required, most just grind up the SS do it can't lock the slide back.

To each his own, I say.  However, all of my pistols have fully functional slide stops.  I absolutely want it for any 1911.  For hicaps, I would prefer it, but don't always allow it.  For instance, on my CZ TS I can have the slide lock back with no loss of mag capacity.  In my 2011 pistols, I use MBX mags with competition followers that will not allow lock back.  I do have special lock back followers that I swap out when appropriate, but for USPSA Limited and Open I prefer full capacity.  On three occasions in the past two years I have run dry and heard the dreaded click.  There are lots of reasons you can lose count on a stage.  When you do it costs you way more time to click, rack, click, oh crap, drop mag insert and rack.  Your stage is hosed at that point.  If I didn't lose mag capacity, I'd always enable slide lock. 

Not sure what mwray is suggesting as the right answer, but I would concur with the majority and say that the Single-Stack slide stop should be functional. It will inevitably get used on about half of stages at least once and on some stages a whole bunch if you get your stage plan off...

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Look, the reason for no slide lock in Limited and Open is the following:  if you don't modify the followers, the slide will lock back with one round in the mag.  If you do modify the followers, everything will work fine until the spring looses tension, and then it won't lock back anymore.  To get around the modifications required, most just grind up the SS do it can't lock the slide back.

Another reason for ltd and open shooters to disable the slide lock is to keep the longer mag from being over inserted and hitting/breaking the ejector in the heat of the moment!

Slide lock in SS major isn’t always necessary but it has moments where it is very helpful as Robert pointed out. Even though one of the main goals is to try to avoid slide lock as much as possible. Which is why most of the SS shooters carry so many mags. It easily becomes a bad habit of when your feet move you mash the mag release

7 hours ago, mwray said:

Slide lock in SS major isn’t always necessary but it has moments where it is very helpful as Robert pointed out. Even though one of the main goals is to try to avoid slide lock as much as possible. Which is why most of the SS shooters carry so many mags. It easily becomes a bad habit of when your feet move you mash the mag release

It easily becomes a bad habit of when your feet move you mash the mag release!!! LOL

Boy howdy!!!!  I shoot a lot of Single Stack matchs (Lvl 2,3,4 in the beginning of the year so I shoot SS a lot in the beginning of the year and get real used to "move your feet "mash" the mag release"

It's always a real joy when you go back to Limited or Open, plan your stage and after the first 4 target you hit the mag release!!! LOL

In all honesty it doesn't happen much as my stage plan is usually based on mag changes.

BUT sometimes it does and its time to start laughing at yourself and being glad I don't do this for a living!

Short story figure out which is best for you and do it. Obviously people do it both ways.

Happy Thanksgiving! and God bless!

Edited by jcc7x7

I thought the only reason to have it disabled in Ltd was to maximize the rounds on your magazine...if I could still get 20 in there and have the slide hold open I’d prefer it, I’ve been a SS guy most of my time shooting though so that may play a part in my thinking.