Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor freelance problem

I Can 't get more than 38 rounds in the magazines. The first mag is the newer type  that are more black in color , which would not feed anyway,The second mag is older which also didn't work. They were both made by the same company who supplied colt . I also tried different tension on the screw, factory spring with and without bottom plate, and the longer mag spring Taylor recommended on the newer model magazine, which would jam after 5 to 7 rounds every time.

I went to a 32/10 instead of 32/32. Less unwieldy and gets me 42 reloadable. Is that what you're doing  here? I had to flip springs so they wouldn't slip past and jam "sandwiched lockplate thing", and it still took 3 assembly trial and errors.. But reliable now

13 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What color is the follower? The problem you may have is the base of the follower is hitting the Taylor Freelance base pad lip. You may have file the base pad so the follower goes into the base pad. Thanks, Eric

Yep. This right here.

There's a little printed sheet that comes with the extension explaining the problem. Even with a better bevel on the follower you'll feel it catch, but it'll work. 

47 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: What color is the follower? The problem you may have is the base of the follower is hitting the Taylor Freelance base pad lip. You may have file the base pad so the follower goes into the base pad. Thanks, Eric

If these are Colt/Metalform they will be stamped and welded Steel , the crappy ASC/Cprod are plastic but can be made to work also

ETA: NVM I thought this was a coupler

Edited by bladewurk
On November 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Where exactly do you file on the base pad or follower?

On November 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM, TRUBL said:

sounds like the follower mmmmmight be hitting on the extension? Try chamfering the bottom of the followers especially on the sides

I give up. I did all that was mentioned and all I got was 39rds that stuck the follower in the extension. I held the base pad in my hand looking at the follower in it and wondered how am I going to get it out, when stupidly I started to probe it with a small screw driver when it launched out. I can't find the follower. Any one know where I can purchase the follower only. The magazine came with my colt PCC when I purchased it years ago so it is a metalform I think. 

32 minutes ago, lucas said:

I give up. I did all that was mentioned and all I got was 39rds that stuck the follower in the extension. I held the base pad in my hand looking at the follower in it and wondered how am I going to get it out, when stupidly I started to probe it with a small screw driver when it launched out. I can't find the follower. Any one know where I can purchase the follower only. The magazine came with my colt PCC when I purchased it years ago so it is a metalform I think. 

I have two TF extensions and have the same issues. And since I am in CA, they (the folks at TF) will not give me any help as they swear up and down it is illegal for us in CA to have any kind of hi cap mags....which is (currently) not true.

Hello.

I only have older ASC and C-Products mags and they have the orange followers. I also bought a bunch of Wolf extra power springs which are longer than the factory springs. I have sanded the followers and have tried everything I can to get them to work with no joy.

And since I am currently stuck in CA, there is no chance of acquiring new mags.

So I have a couple of cool paperweights with TF engraved on the bottom......cool. :angry:

Right now my big stick is a ASC 32 rounder spliced with a 10 rounder via a Taccom splice. This gives me 45 rounds and runs 100%.

Edited by BigBamBoo

Hello: I think the problem is the tang that sticks up on the follower on the Metalform magazines. It catches on the magazine bottom causing the salt shaker. If you load a couple more in it then it jams the spring in the base pad. I'll see what I can do to it to solve the problem next week. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am having the same problem with the follower on my Glock mags hitting the back of the TF 10+1 extension.

Does anyone have any photos of how much material needs to be shaved off the back of the extension.

PS what pisses me off is that this is a known issue so why hasn't TF addressed it and put the bevel there before they sell it!

Spending $55 dollars on a product and not having it work is BS!

I have one with a Glock big stick.  Two times I have sanded the edges of the follower, hit and miss. I tried it with an ETS mag, too big a step on the back side to work at all. The TF is very frustrating, it may work for a while, then not. It seems to be ok with up to 37rds.

I have a Dawson +4 on an ETS and an MBX mini on a Glock and both are 100% For big capacity MBX is the way to go !

No one should have to be working on these to work. There has been a lot of documented issues with them not working   , why ?  I know that mags have different dimensions, but account for it in the production better.  T/F owes it to the shooters that are keeping the lights on !

I tried to run the Wolff +5% springs in mine since I stole the factory metalform spring to run in my 20+TF basepag mag as my main reload...

No dice. The Wolff springs are more rectangular, corners are less round, and they hang up in the transition AND they don't stack as short (more coils) so I can only get 36 or so rounds in there (forget exact #). Went back to running factory springs in the 32+10 and put the wolff in a regular 32 I use for classifiers, practice, etc. Wasted money to figure out that didn't work, oh well. 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:33 AM, troupe said:

No one should have to be working on these to work. There has been a lot of documented issues with them not working   , why ?  I know that mags have different dimensions, but account for it in the production better.  T/F owes it to the shooters that are keeping the lights on !

Good point, there is no reason for this!

Also with all the posts on here, it is an issue !

I may try to send mine back and get another MBX mini !