Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone run a race holster with a Limited?

LeviSS

I've stuck to kydex thus far, but have not been happy with fit of my Bladetech holster.

I've considered going RHT, but have read a few reviews of them being tight and needing some tweaks.  I might still try one.

I've pretty much decided Limited division is where I'll be for a while, so I'm curious about a race holster.  I've never tried one.

I was looking at the DAA Alpha X.  I really hate to spend $200 for something I might not like.

I'm looking for general thoughts, experience with the Tanfo Limited and race holsters, model you use, etc.

Can't speak to the Tanfo side of things but I recently decided to commit to Standard (IPSC) from Production.  Because I wanted to try a Thumbrest on my Tac Sport I figured it was just easier to go race holster and Bought an Alpha X.  I've used it for a few local matches and some dry fire now and I doubt I'd go back to kydex even if I return to Production.  The only concern I have with it would be seated starts but I'll just  be extra cautious with those starts.

I've got a Limited converted to Open with a Safariland race holster. It's been really weird dealing with a gun that comes loose/out of the holster so easily, coming from kydex in production.

You'll get used to it quickly like I did. After 1 dryfire session of about 20 minutes just goofing around, I felt comfortable with the holster. I still prefer kydex holsters but for open, there isn't really any other option.

I use the DAA Alpha X holster with my Limited. when i first got it , it was very tight in the block. gun would get hung up on the draw sometimes but not every time. I assumed i was trying to rip the gun out toward the target and not lifting enough, even after a few hundred draws but that was not the case.  I noticed some roughness or burs on the trigger guard as it was scrapping derlin out of the block. Took a fine file to the guard while test fitting often, all is well now , smooth.

Think the X simplified the adjustments so less that would come loose.  On my magnetic RM I had to file/sand the delrin block to fit the trigger guard for the system to work properly.  (I had to do the same treatment on the Glock inserts for all my plastic pistols to fit as well.)  

I use a Guga Ribas speed holster with my Tanfo Limited, very smooth mechanism, very light, 100% recomended!

If you get rid of your Tanfo you can keep the holster because it is universal, just have to adjust to your new gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using a magnetic DAA Race Master for ~2 years.   One thing about the RM's (and some other race holsters) is that they require only a very small amount of movement for the draw as compared to a kydex gun-bucket, but they require the force vector/angle of draw to be pretty closely aligned with the direction of travel of the locking block.  If your draw stroke drags the gun out the front of the kydex, as opposed to a lift-then-forward movement, then you may have some re-training to do.  IMO, it is worth it for the advantages, but you may go through a month of sticky/tied-up draws that cost you a second or two.  Some people get frustrated/discouraged by this and give up before they get past it and become race-holster-haters.  ;)  

I'm using the DAA Racer Holster with my Elite Limited Custom - but it required a little tweaking. 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/racer-holster?osCsid=15b7b1c5d0f83151a58af14a1e26a981

The trigger guard was way too tight a fit in the trigger guard channel.  But, after a few runs with a dermal on each side of the channel, it fit perfectly and securely.  I decided to mod it myself rather than send it back because I figured I would another one with the same issue.

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 3:54 AM, Sc0 said:

Think the X simplified the adjustments so less that would come loose.  On my magnetic RM I had to file/sand the delrin block to fit the trigger guard for the system to work properly.  (I had to do the same treatment on the Glock inserts for all my plastic pistols to fit as well.)  

u like spend 200 usd  for holster that  u  need to file and fight with it to draw the gun  and it will harm finish of your gun?

ghost new type  and guga and safari  much better than any daa "holster";)

before u order  try few types from other shooters from yours club.

Edited by yigal

I tried a DAA alpha for my limited and open tanfoglio and even after hours of very careful fitting and adjustments could not get it to work. Contacted DAA and they recommended a new insert block and the drop support bracket for another $70. I ordered both and tried it. The support bracket wasn’t long enough to fit my comp and I wasn’t about to try sitting another insert. Sent it all back and ordered a Guga ribas. Takes adjusting it to the gun but the holster is awesome. No complaints on the Guga.

Others have used the DAA without issue but I won’t try another for a Tanfo. Sharp trigger guard proved problematic.

23 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I tried a DAA alpha for my limited and open tanfoglio and even after hours of very careful fitting and adjustments could not get it to work. Contacted DAA and they recommended a new insert block and the drop support bracket for another $70. I ordered both and tried it. The support bracket wasn’t long enough to fit my comp and I wasn’t about to try sitting another insert. Sent it all back and ordered a Guga ribas. Takes adjusting it to the gun but the holster is awesome. No complaints on the Guga.

Others have used the DAA without issue but I won’t try another for a Tanfo. Sharp trigger guard proved problematic.

comp. holster must be simple.

as few shooters said to adjust guga r. holster u must finish  mech. engineer deg. ;)

shooters that said that daa best holsters probably didn't try real comp. holster.:o (draw is easy and smooth, gun has  no play and seat securely in the holster and leave it only u draw it and not from his own will );)

A Cr Speed WSM II, specifically set up for a Tanfoglio is what was used to win the last 7 x IPSC World Shoots.

5 x in Open division, 1 x in Production and 1 x in Standard division.

No better holster out there.

26 minutes ago, 1911aow said:

A Cr Speed WSM II, specifically set up for a Tanfoglio is what was used to win the last 7 x IPSC World Shoots.

not correct . there is.

u just didn't saw.;)

4 hours ago, 1911aow said:

Love my cr speed.