Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ooops!

Shooter Grrl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wha' happen? That doesn't look like your gun, nor David's.

It was my brand new gun! Shot number 8 while we were sighting it in :(

Not exactly sure what caused it - most people say it had to have been a squib - but all the rounds are accounted for in the target. 8 shots, 8 holes. We were both watching them hit! The round that left that case hit the target at the exact spot we were expecting it to! Weird stuff!!!

was that this past weekend in memphis?

ouch!

is there any part of the gun that isn't broke?

lynn

p. s. do you need to borrow my extra gun for the nationals?

It happened Friday night, so no, not at Memphis. And no, there isn't a single unbroken part! I've never seen a slide bulge before - that was kinda kewl ;)

David gave me his gun to use and is using our back up gun. We were able to get all the parts together for a new gun and our mostest wonderful gunsmith is going to build it in a week for us so we should be okay for the Nationals. Thanks for offering though! Shooters is the bestest people :wub:

Ouch.

Only 8 rounds.

The one pic seems to show a brass ring (front of chamber) where the case was not head spacing on the case mouth. Also, it looks like there is a crease, just forward of the chamber, in the leade area.

If that C-more is toast...can I have that plastic cover plate that goes on the bottom of the C-more...that hides the C-more internals??? :unsure:

C-More was always very generous with me too. Even though I don't use one anymore I have to say they treat people well.

Looking at the damage I'd guess your gun fired out of battery or else 2 bullets went down the barrel at the same time [and somehow punched thru the target].

OUCH! I am so glad you're OK! It sure looks to me that the barrel may have had some problems. In the photos it looks like there is some old discolored break right at the top locking lug area and then the rest of the break is new. I wonder if the barrel fractured when it was proof fired, then finally gave way when you fired the 8th shot.

Nolan

Damn' this is one of the weirdest thing I've seen !

I'm glad you're Ok and got all your physical integrity and all your fingers !

Let us know if you ever get the answer on why it happened .

I'm sure there is a God above the shooters !

Can't tell for sure from the pictures but I don't see any deformity on the barrel.

If it is true there is no deformity that implies brittle failure, which could be bad heat treatment and stress relief. (Just guessing from pictures provided.)

Glad no one was hurt.

Shooter girl, glad you're OK. Have seen about 8 of these type blow ups. Have one lying on my desk a customer sent in. What happens is about a 1/2 powder charge gets in & lays in the bottom of the case & when the primer goes off , it flashes across all the powder & detnates it all at once instead of burning from the rear down the barrel . KABOOM. very nasty.

Could this have been caused by a low powder charge in the round. I was told by a friend who has been shooting and reloading for a long time that a low powder charge can cause a lot of damage. This is how he explained it to me:

When a round is loaded with a powder charge that is low enough that the powder level runs below the primer when the bullet in horizontal ie.. in the chamber, then when the primer is ignited the sparks disperse over the top of the powder which causes the powder to burn from the top down. Instead of from back of the case to the front. He said this changes the way the force is applied by the gasses, it can cause the gasses to push up more than against the bullet. :blink: He showed me a revo with the top half of the cylider and the top strap blown completely off, and said that this is what caused the failure.

Is this a viable possibility or should in brain dump this idea to make room for more useless info?

I've seen a Glock 20 that suffered the same demise - the low powder charge issue. Apparently, a small charge of 540 in that size case makes for a big bang.... Similar results to Shooter Grrrl's.... eeek....