Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry load

Djp55

Hey all,

Been reloading for a bit now and am now looking to get into reloading for my carry gun as well as my competition. I know these will be different loads, so looking for input. I like carrying JHP and I shoot a m&p shield 9mm (only saying it because maybe the short barrel matters?). Any suggestion on what bullets and powders are appreciated, specific weights for both really appreciated. I know I can grab some bullets and go by book loads but just wondering what others use. 

Thanks

What he said /\. It's a bad idea to reload your defensive carry ammo. Every defensive pistol instructor I've ever worked with has said to use factory premium defensive ammo. Low flash powder, better QC, Nickel plated brass, and if you ever use it to defend yourself you don't have to explain to a jury why you developed such an awesome "man-killer" load in your basement.

That is all pretty reasonable. Do you somehow make a load similar to your factory defensive round to use to get more acclimated to the recoil and such, or just shoot the gun and don't worry about it? Probably overthinking it all more out of boredom than anything, but curious nonetheless. 

7 minutes ago, Djp55 said:

That is all pretty reasonable. Do you somehow make a load similar to your factory defensive round to use to get more acclimated to the recoil and such, or just shoot the gun and don't worry about it? Probably overthinking it all more out of boredom than anything, but curious nonetheless. 

Yes. Right now I'm not reloading, (Or I would load my own) but I'm lucky that Federal AE 147 gr. mimics their 147 HST, which is my 9mm carry load.

A 115gr FMJ over 5.65gr of WSF at 1.130” makes 139pf in a Glock 34.

It’s pretty cheap to reload and feels exactly like the 147gr Federal HST I carry: I have stagger-loaded a magazine and you can’t tell which is which. At all.

No need to buy JHP bullets to practice with the ammo you carry. It took me three tries to develop that load, but once I figured it out, I load some up whenever I want to practice with carry ammo.

6 hours ago, Djp55 said:

looking to get into reloading for my carry gun . I like carrying JHP in my M&P Shield 9mm

Long time ago, Illinois State Police switched to a 115 gr JHP +P+ load ...

That's what I carry in my carry guns (KelTec P11 and S&W M&P C9mm.

Illinois Police said after their 800th shooting with that load, that No One

who had sustained a center hit with the +P+ load Ever Returned Effective

Fire at their police officers.

Especially with a short barrel, I'd try to get as much velocity as possible (+P+ loads).

Then, as Memphis mentioned, you can duplicate a similar load with FMJ's and

a fast powder to get the same "feel" as your carry load.    :) 

Rolling your own to carry is a personal choice. Some do so to be able to run 100s of rounds to function test and not break the bank. Others do so to assure 100% QC of each round. Some do so to mimic their EDC ammo to practice with.

The following are some loads I worked up to mimic my carry ammo of choice, HST. The powders used are low flash, nickle is once used and primers are CCI. 

147gr HST OAL - 1.150:

sillohoutte - 5.0gr

n350 - 4.8gr

be-86 - 4.7gr

These loads in my 5" Schuemman barreled 2011 were producing roughly 1000fps. Which mimics the factory 147gr HST. 

Don't load your own carry ammo, not that you can't, but sometimes defense lawyers may argue that you had to make something more deadly that what the cops use. However be sure to function fire any carry load in any platform you have to make sure it runs. I use WIN SXT 127 +P+ for my Glock and Shield. Just for reference, my USPSA loads are a 124 TC Bayou on top of 3.4 grs of TG at 1.100" OAL, Goes about 1,040 fps out of a G17 but only 970 fps out of a Shield.

Edited by 9x45

6 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Don't load your own carry ammo, not that you can't, but sometimes defense lawyers may argue that you had to make something more deadly that what the cops use. 

Citation please.

Let's not have this turn into a legal discussion. The OP requested load data not legal advise. We are all adults and we make the choices that best fit our needs.

Unless people have load data to post, please refrain from drifting this thread any further. 

I prefer HST, but they aren't easy to come by. Speer also makes a great bullet and much easier to come by. You might have to try several and see what's reliable and accurate in your gun.

858, only what the Deputies tell us in CCW renewal class in California. And sworn officers are not allowed to use reloads, of any kind, period. You can do what you want.

By the way, if you are using mixed brass, like Freedom Munitions, IMT, AmmoLoad or MaxxTech, they have a stepped case that can separate during firing leaving a brass sleeve in the chamber and a dead gun. But maybe you already knew that as an experienced reloader.......

dZbHwYIl.jpg?1

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, v1911 said:

I prefer HST, but they aren't easy to come by. Speer also makes a great bullet and much easier to come by. You might have to try several and see what's reliable and accurate in your gun.

couple of older studies done by law enforcement rated the speer gold dots really high for the " one shot stop" bullet.

And they shoot accurately

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, 191138sc said:

+1  Never load for your carry gun. Buy the very best defensive loads from companies such as Corbon or Federal.

This is a common opinion. There has never been a documented case (as per my recent research. Perhaps some law experts could chime in here...) where a defendant in a self defense situation has been tried and convicted of any additional charges due to using handloaded ammo.

I load my house gun ammo. Don't carry, even though I have had the permit since 1978...

IMHO of course.

On 10/3/2017 at 2:15 PM, 858 said:

Load your own carry ammo. 124gr Gold Dot in mixed brass. Eat your heart out know-nothing instructors, it's too bad you hate people who want to defend themselves on a budget.

Yea, don't listen to those top gun school instructors, or LEO, or gun lawyers, what do those know nothing guys know anyway. Listen to a guy on the internet..... 

And, by the way, what's the load recipe?  What powder type and charge weight? what OAL? What does that chrono at out of what gun? It's only those little details that build credibility.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

I load my house gun ammo. Don't carry, even though I have had the permit since 1978...

IMHO of course.

Well then you'll never have to worry about it, now will you?   Course here in California we have something called civil court. You know, even though the cops said it was clean...