Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR tax stamp

I heard that urban legend about them getting done quicker when I filed mine back in late Feb but have not seen or heard anything that bares this out.  My understanding is that the ATF has put an artificial limit on the number of stamps to be approved by the contractor they use to do the paperwork on a weekly or monthly basis which is why it takes so long to approve a 3 page application but that could be urban legend as well ...

5 hours ago, Gary H. said:

about the time they get the wait times under control, they'll pass the hearing bill, making silencers legal, and there'll be a 8 month wait for cans!

Um...if that bill passes there will be no wait because will no longer need the stamp.  No?

I submitted for my tax stamp in mid January 2017 and received it last week.

I also submitted another in early January 2017 for a suppressor & have not received anything back.

Edited by 3guns
typo
12 hours ago, Gary H. said:

they'll be selling so fast, everyone will be sold out. There will be a production back log

I would buy 2 suppressors tomorrow if the tax stamp went away (.223 OSS suppressor and a 9mm). However, not willing to tie up funds and wait 5-6  months for another toy right now. I have a 308 can, a 45 can, and a 22 can. More than enough for now. I'll wait until times come down to 2-3 months or until the HPA passes (which will never happen). 

54 minutes ago, mike NM said:

Like mentioned above..... No reason the process can't be done in minutes NOT months.... Our taxpayer dollars at work...

I can see having an actual person look over your first NFA purchase. After that, I'm not sure why they don't just do an updated background check (done in minutes) and mail you a stamp. It's not like anything changed.

I would expect every bit of 8 months.  My sbr and silencer paperwork went in in late Feb.  I don't expect to be shooting my pcc sbr until next month at the earliest.  Still working load development so I have something I can do.  Currently at 96 PF @100% reliability.  Need to see where the floor is and then start to factor in accuracy before settling on a load for this steel challenge gun

I think it really depends on the type of submission.  Form 1 Trusts are taking about a year per NFA Tracker but Form 1 Individuals are coming back in 3-4 months.  Looks like Trusts are getting a lot more scrutiny than in the past due to the new requirements of 41F.

Doug

59cbe508bea2c_NFAForm1.thumb.png.489086b3b44bc0061d300e5d9b39a45c.png59cbe54be7d89_NFAForm1Trust.thumb.jpg.9bd69b1bfb10ede9bb70b7453d36a009.jpg