Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Reloading Poll

650 reloading poll  

120 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you that have a 650, how many rounds do you load in one setting

• Less than 100
    • 100 to 300
    • 300 to 500
    • Over 500
    • Over 1000

I bought 2 of the 4 pack tubes when I got my 650.  I will usually fill all of the tubes while i'm watching TV or something in the house, then take them all out to the press when I'm ready to load.  I also tumble enough 9mm brass to have a few thousand of cleaned brass ready to load on hand.  I try to do somewhere between 500 and 900 (using all the filled primer tubes) in a sitting.

I have had a few occasions when I was really in the reloading zone and did several thousand while listening to an audiobook or podcast, that sure it nice having enough ammo for a couple months.

I am actually only loading about 100 at a time because I usually shoot on my lunch break at work and I can't be gone from work long enough to shoot more than that. Besides, I use my press more often when I don't load so much at one time. I find using my press more often is more fun for me than loading 500 or 600 rounds at one time and then not using it for several weeks.

I probably could have got by with just keeping my 550b as my lone press but I had the urge to buy a new press so I got the 650 to go with the 550b

This is just my personal philosphy on it...the primer tube only holds 100 primers.

You have to stop anyway.

So I take the loaded ammo akrobin off the press and go sit down on the sofa.

For pistol, I put them directly into those plastic flip lid boxes bullet down and pass my fingers across the primers to check for any high primers....and any irregularities in overall length.  Then I pass a red Sharpie marker over the headstamps.

For rifle, I case gauge my rounds first and then put them in those plastic flip lid boxes.  Do the same finger swipe and marker stripe thing.

Then I will go back to the press...load it up with primers and powder and possibly cases.  And then crank out another 100.

With my 650, I will end up with something goofy happening where I don't load exactly 100 rounds.

The reason I do that...taking a break every 100 rouds...is it prevents fatigue.

It prevents "assembly line hypnosis".

But the most important thing is if I ever do catch a mistake, I'll have less than 100 rounds that I have to pull the bullets from.

Do you shoot all of the ones you load or do you shoot some and stockpile the rest.

I keep an inventory of 1000 rounds for myself and 500 for my son's PCC. 800 reserve and 200 for matches for me and 300/200 for my son. That's why I reload between 200 and 400, time available to reload between matches or if I need to load for my son too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I both shoot so I usually have 4 to 5 of the 50 cal. ammo cans of each caliber we shoot on hand at any given time.  There are occasions that we get the urge and shoot an entire can in one range session.  I have received bullets that were the last run on a set of restriking dies(coated bullets) that ended up being too big and had to send them back. They came in right before a sectional and that could have been real bad if we hadn't had the stockpile.  The bullet company resized them and made it right but it took 2 weeks.  We generally order 4 to 8 cases at a time due to the fact that I don't get paid  on a set time table.  Besides on rainy days it is a great time to load up!

I like to keep around 1000 loaded rounds for each caliber that i shoot.  I load 100-300/day after work.  The number of days during the week that I reload is dependent upon my practice and match schedule.

I use the Vibra prime unit (I know some folks love it, others hate it; I'm in the former group) to reload primers so it only takes a minute or less per 100.  When I take a break to reload primers, I case gauge all the  loaded rounds, refill the bullet tray and do some other QC checks. 

Not the fastest way to reload, however I am not looking to break the world reloading speed record.  If reloading were a USPSA sanctioned activity, I'd be a C/D ranked reloader.  All alphas (quality/accuracy) however my times (speed)  would be miserable. 

I have 9 extra primer tubes and a vibra prime. I turn on the scale and let it warm up while I load tubes, feed mr bullet feeder, pour powder, and fill the case feeder. 1000 rounds goes pretty quick so sometimes I just keep going. It's just nice knowing I wont have to load for a week or two.

32 minutes ago, Nugget said:

I have 9 extra primer tubes and a vibra prime. I turn on the scale and let it warm up while I load tubes, feed mr bullet feeder, pour powder, and fill the case feeder. 1000 rounds goes pretty quick so sometimes I just keep going. It's just nice knowing I wont have to load for a week or two.

Roger that!  It's great just loading on the rain days and shooting the rest of the time.  Although I know people who have more fun loading than shooting, I am not one of them. Bullets down range relieves stress!

Before Mark 7, 500.
After Mark 7, makes ammo while I'm playing Call of Duty, till I get tired of poking primers waiting for mark 7 to announce whether their fancy primer collator will be adaptable to work with Dillon presses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-500 depending on how much time I have. I usually only work on it for 1-1.5 hours including loading primer tubes, loading and chamber checking? I use the Shockbottle 100 round case gauges. So all rounds are checked. Adds about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was loading on a 650 I would load whatever came in the box of bullets I was loading.

For 9mm that was 750, for 40 it was 625, and for 45 it was 500.

But I'm an OCD accountant so maybe that had something to do with it.

I usually open a box of bullets and quit when they are gone. Boxes of 500 bullets and before I start I fill 5 primer tubes so I don't have to stop loading to fill primers.

Edited by GR8GIFT

Do you go shoot all those after you load them or do you stockpile and use them over time

I usually load 1-2 thousand a session and does that for about 3 days, so I have about 5 thousand rounds. I shoot 500 once a week so that will last me almost 2 months. I always start loading again when I am down to 1-2 thousand rounds.

I load 500, it takes about an hour give or take.  Then I take a break away from the press for a while, do something else around the house before I go back and load another 500.  

Depends on what the coming week schedule is. If I have a major match coming up, then obviously more. I do have a 500 round stash of 9 Major in case something breaks on the 650 that isn't in the spare parts kit. :blink: