Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm thinking about getting a new open gun built.

magpulled

With putting up a post requesting a suggestion for gunsmith, you would have as many choices or suggestions as doing a google search. IF you want to have a gun built by a smith, you would want to find a reputable smith that warrants his work. That is key! Why not buy a pre built open gun from CK Arms, STI, or CZ? They make excellent guns that go bang right out of the box with little or no break-in period. I had a gun built many years ago by a reputable smith and it was a beauty! The problem was that it was so unreliable at first that I had to measure and check each bullet to ensure feeding, and even then it would have jams. I talked to the gunsmith and he said that it had to be broken in. After nearly 4000 rds, it was shooting much more reliably. That was a lot of matches and frustration during this 'break-in' period that would have been avoided if I would have bought pre-built gun. I now shoot a czechmate and it has never let me  down. With my experience, the best built gun is the one that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, magpulled said:

5k but I don't want to spend 5 grand today and not get my gun next year, lol

Go to Shooter's Connection and buy an off the shelf CKARMS.  Their open guns with a steel grip are only 4k and you can have it next week.  I am very pleased with my new CK IDPA gun and I'm sure their open guns are just as sweet.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:30 PM, jpl said:

Seems like everybody is using basically the same parts, so I would go with someone that builds the gun in the style you like.

This is great advice!  Light/heavy, short/long, holes/no holes, 9/38, these design choices go in and out of fashion and each of the 'smiths listed have their preferences.  Take it from me: don't ask a 'smith to build a gun setup different from his preferences, you'll be fighting an uphill battle; better to find a 'smith who agrees with you on the best way to build your gun.

I highly suggest asking around at the local match to see if you can try different style guns, chances are good there's someone you shoot with with a gun sitting in their safe you can shoot for a whole match because a few rounds in the been will not tell you much.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:08 AM, RangerTrace said:

What is your budget?  It matters.  

Sounds like the money won't be a problem, but if you're not solid on the choices above you might consider buying a few guns used to help you figure it out.

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

I now shoot a czechmate and it has never let me  down. With my experience, the best built gun is the one that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. 

I have built and owned many custom Open guns, CZs, Tanfoglios, and 2011s, what gun have I shot in every match for the past 10 months since I bought it? My box-stock Czechmate B)

It just works!  If I could go back in time five years, I'd buy a Czechmate and a Tactical Sport to build a custom Czechmate with a better, lighter comp.

Matt McLearn

Payson, Arizona.

I bought my daughter a McLearn Custom Guns open pistol in 38SC.  She is small framed, light, and it was the first open pistol she ever fired.  1 mag into it and she was completely hooked.  Recoil is nonexistent.  It truly is a remarkable pistol.  100% reliable.

All guns need to get broke in. My CK and open gun was very tight when I got it. I have 2000 rounds though the gun, it took close to 1500 rounds for it to feel good. Only did not go boom two times and it was from a primer both times. For price it's a great buy, but it's not a custom build. 

Glenn at LSI built me an amazing open blaster- it is set up exactly how I want it. He worked with me from beginning to end. 6 months is pretty reasonable for a full custom- some of the other builders mentioned here are 18 months or more.

I would second kneelingatlas' suggestion to pick up a used blaster and shoot it to develop your preferences. That way, you have something now while you get a custom built.

I personally wouldn't drop the coin on any of the "factory" open guns that are currently available. In my opinion the price is too close to a custom and too far above what it would cost to pick up a used gun. It seems like every week or two there is a thread on somebody's new "factory custom" that has quit at a very low round count.

Svi, McLearn, or Akai. I would recommend no one else. I've owned an Atlas.

Edit for Correction. I would only recommend the above 3 IF you're looking for a big name. My advice is to Find a local smith who has a good reputation. My builds going forward will only be through my local smith who I have used for many different things and have seen his builds run. 

Edited by Shmella

My personal experience has been great with a local builder. My gun was built using parts that I purchased or won (vetted by the builder), to the design that I sketched, and with the build choices that suited me. I was able to get a gun built in a few weeks, shoot it for a month, go back and make a few small changes, shoot it some more, make a couple other small changes, then send it off for finishing after everything was perfect. The gun has been incredibly reliable, and came out exactly as I had hoped. 

When I was an idiot and stripped a scope mount screw, I was able to drive to the gunsmith's house on a Friday night the week before an area match to have the screw extracted.

If I ever break anything else, I can give the gun to the smith at the local match and have it back within a week without paying for shipping or making a special drive to go to the shop.

There is a lot of value in having a local smith, especially for open guns. Parts will break, and having to pay shipping fees both ways and hope nothing happens in transit is not fun.

23 hours ago, MikeRush said:

Glenn at LSI built me an amazing open blaster- it is set up exactly how I want it. He worked with me from beginning to end. 6 months is pretty reasonable for a full custom- some of the other builders mentioned here are 18 months or more.

I love the open gun that Glenn just built me. Last year I picked up a barley used GANS open build (here in the classifieds) for under $3K swapped out the Optics and the trigger and it's now my back-up, doesn't quite balance or shoot like the LSI but it's great for a back-up. If you look persistently you can find good delay in the classifieds.

Jeff

On 03/07/2017 at 0:22 AM, kneelingatlas said:

This is great advice!  Light/heavy, short/long, holes/no holes, 9/38, these design choices go in and out of fashion and each of the 'smiths listed have their preferences.  Take it from me: don't ask a 'smith to build a gun setup different from his preferences, you'll be fighting an uphill battle; better to find a 'smith who agrees with you on the best way to build your gun.

This advice (above) is pretty solid.

I had a great builder local to me. He does good work and being local he shoots the matches I shoot so support is a given. However, he does not like steel grips (only polymer), he also does not believe in popple holes and I like a gun that is flatter but harder in the hand. His guns are soft shooting but not as flat/fast as I personally like.

It was a battle from the start and luckily in the end the day I was going to pay a deposit to start work he left a match early and I missed him. I thought about it a bit and realised the CK product was basically 85-90% of my current 'want list' in an open gun. In the end I bought a CK hardcore open and then a thunder open too. I'm pretty happy with them. I had a few small foibles but nothing that would stop me recommending their pistols. It had the combo of bits I wanted (titan comp, RTS2, steel grip, popple holes etc). 

Shoot a few guns to figure out what features you like, then find someone who makes those guns.

I'll throw one more in the mix. Akai. I quite like his work. 

2 hours ago, tacticalchef said:

Atlas... I have 2 of them and both are as good or better than any of the SVI's, or Akai's, or CK's ect ect ect.  And Adam will actually talk to you on the phone when you call.

I couldn't disagree with this more, but that goes to show the OP everyone has a preference and opinion and you will have to take the gamble yourself.  I have an SV and had an atlas. The atlas was not as good and surely not better quality than the Svi I own now. 

Akai for me. A good group of guy and they build great guns. Atlas will be my second choice. I have an Atlas Limited gun and I have not shot one of their open guns yet. I can attest to him being a good guy and very helpful if you call him.

2 hours ago, Shmella said:

I couldn't disagree with this more, but that goes to show the OP everyone has a preference and opinion and you will have to take the gamble yourself.  I have an SV and had an atlas. The atlas was not as good and surely not better quality than the Svi I own now. 

What was it that turned you off of the Atlas?

Was it just a personal preference/feel thing or was it the actual build?

22 hours ago, sarpau said:

What was it that turned you off of the Atlas?

Was it just a personal preference/feel thing or was it the actual build?

Overall the build wasnt bad. There were some things I questioned. The real turnoff was the way Adam treated me.

Teenjeep, I'll take you up on that offer.  A few other ppl I know want to see it too. Btw, were you carrying around a camera at the production match ?  

I shoot Sunday, what day are you shooting ? I gotta get to practicing. There's a certain Asian guy I have to beat and his buddy jason.  

On 7/4/2017 at 10:15 AM, Shmella said:

I was very serious about getting an atlas open gun until I read and heard a bunch of negative stuff recently. I called them and spoke to them a couple times but I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. 

Im just gonna be patient(something I have a hard time with) and wait on a deal. 

I do remember atlas at one time saying they were gonna keep their prices reasonable but when I called he said their prices would be going up very soon to sv price points and their guns are the same caliber build as SV. 

8 hours ago, magpulled said:

I was very serious about getting an atlas open gun until I read and heard a bunch of negative stuff recently. I called them and spoke to them a couple times but I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger. 

I do remember atlas at one time saying they were gonna keep their prices reasonable but when I called he said their prices would be going up very soon to sv price points and their guns are the same caliber build as SV. 

That was the same reason I went with them originally. Competitive pricing and a lot of praise on here. The pricing is through the roof now, and there was a lot of, say one thing and do another. I am not a fan.

8 hours ago, magpulled said:

Teenjeep, I'll take you up on that offer.  A few other ppl I know want to see it too. Btw, were you carrying around a camera at the production match ?  

I shoot Sunday, what day are you shooting ? I gotta get to practicing. There's a certain Asian guy I have to beat and his buddy jason.  

Yep that was me with the camera.  

I'm shooting the Open match on Sunday, squad 14, and I'll be out there Saturday with my camera again.

11 hours ago, magpulled said:

Gerwin has an atlas, get him to show you at the open match.

The lightly used Limcat in classifieds could be an option for you.  No connection to the seller but it's a good price on a highly optioned low mileage gun.  

• 2 weeks later...