Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm thinking about getting a new open gun built.

magpulled

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Bedell

You'll get what has been proven to work for years in this game

from some one who has been in the game and doing the work for years

Priced the same or less than some of the more recent builders

Buy local... things break, have the GS cut it how you want it.  Broken guns suck, taking it back to GS to fix is a pain but way easier than shipping and waiting.

I would love to have a gun from any of the builders listed but when something breaks id take it close by instead of shipping so id rather have it be built by the guy who will be working on it all the time.

my opinion, atlas guns look rad

6 months for a custom gun really isnt that long. Atlas builds very nice guns, the guns from LSI I have seen are also nice. Limcat is also another option. SVI is good but they no longer build 9mm open guns so that is a consideration as well.

16 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Buy local... things break, have the GS cut it how you want it.  Broken guns suck, taking it back to GS to fix is a pain but way easier than shipping and waiting.

I would love to have a gun from any of the builders listed but when something breaks id take it close by instead of shipping so id rather have it be built by the guy who will be working on it all the time.

my opinion, atlas guns look rad

There's really no one local to me unfortunately or I'd jump all over that. 

Im leaning towards atlas but Ive never shot one. I friend just got a chaos today so hopefully I'll put some rounds through it soon. 

Edited by magpulled
Stupid spell check

I have a mill and I build my own for around 1500.   If something breaks I order what ever broke and fix it.  So far simple things, ejector, reverse plug.    Takes about 40 hours and thats with a manual mill with DRO.

5 hours ago, magpulled said:

There's really no one local to me unfortunately or I'd jump all over that. 

Im leaning towards atlas but Ive never shot one. I friend just got a chaos today so hopefully I'll put some rounds through it soon. 

Thats unfortunate, not sure where you are but make sure to do some digging. The local may not be CK, Atlas or Akai but that doesn't mean they don't know how to make them run.

local matches are the best place to figure it out. Local is convenient, neither case is end of the world 

5 hours ago, beechnutbob said:

I have a mill and I build my own for around 1500.   If something breaks I order what ever broke and fix it.  So far simple things, ejector, reverse plug.    Takes about 40 hours and thats with a manual mill with DRO.

Im in the same boat, I have two mills now... though I still prefer to use files and stones for everything but aesthetics cuts on the slide.  

Useful tip (depending on your tooling) is that if you don't own a starrett rail mic, $280 ish look on eBay for starter "can" or "can seam" mic.  Same thing without 5 min to clearance fringing and $35-60 typically. 

The rail mic tells no lies

18 hours ago, Slostang said:

4th for Atlas. My Chaos should be here very soon and Adam has been great to deal with throughout the process. 

Agreed. Mine should be here next week.