Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Atlas Open 2011

grantwoodok

11 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

That’s funny because I use to use pro grip religiously when I was using a plastic grip gun. I haven’t touched it since I got my Atlas. Those PT grips are great in that aspect.

Today is my first match with this gun and I'm going to pay for my practice with it last few days. My hands are roughed up to pretty bad. Going to need tape on fingers to get through today :)

11 hours ago, fatjoe123111 said:

Looks great! What was your wait time? I’m at 103 days since I ordered. 

104 days from initial order to in my hands.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really trying to decide what I'm gonna do next year. I'm liking open a lot!  I'm shooting a CK thunder and it's ok. It's been 100% but I'm just not loving the feel of the grip or the gun as a whole!  I know how much in prefer my Titan over CK limited guns. So, I know I'm probably not gonna be happy with my Thunder. 

Though, I'm not sure I want the heavy frame for an open gun. I want the feel of the PT grip and the awesome trigger and the smoothness the Atlas will have. Just don't think I want the weight. Or the cost!  6k for an open gun...... Dang!  And you gotta have 2 if you're serious!

Guess I got some decisions to make!

Edited by B_RAD

Not sure about the Chaos but the Atlas I had was about 53 or 54oz. Kinda wished I had kept it, it was a nice gun just could not afford to have 3 open guns. My Limcat weighs 43oz. I think if you only have one and train with it it the weight is not a problem, but when you have more than one they need to be close to the same.

10 hours ago, SWprotected said:

Not sure about the Chaos but the Atlas I had was about 53 or 54oz. Kinda wished I had kept it, it was a nice gun just could not afford to have 3 open guns. My Limcat weighs 43oz. I think if you only have one and train with it it the weight is not a problem, but when you have more than one they need to be close to the same.

What's the cost for a Iimcat?

Edited by B_RAD

22 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I'm really trying to decide what I'm gonna do next year. I'm liking open a lot!  I'm shooting a CK thunder and it's ok. It's been 100% but I'm just not loving the feel of the grip or the gun as a whole!  I know how much in prefer my Titan over CK limited guns. So, I know I'm probably not gonna be happy with my Thunder. 

Though, I'm not sure I want the heavy frame for an open gun. I want the feel of the PT grip and the awesome trigger and the smoothness the Atlas will have. Just don't think I want the weight. Or the cost!  6k for an open gun...... Dang!  And you gotta have 2 if you're serious!

Guess I got some decisions to make!

I weighed my CK Thunder and Chaos for fun - CK Thunder was 42.2 oz, Atlas Chaos 53.3 oz.

Only had the Atlas for a week now, but I don't think the weight is a negative. In practice last week, I was still able to get fast hits from a draw in same time as with lighter gun. While the Chaos feels heavier doing it, my hits were consistently better with heavier gun in this drill. Much greater control - I like it.

The grip is amazing - waiting on my hands to toughen up more to support the fun now!

1 hour ago, racer-x said:

I weighed my CK Thunder and Chaos for fun - CK Thunder was 42.2 oz, Atlas Chaos 53.3 oz.

Only had the Atlas for a week now, but I don't think the weight is a negative. In practice last week, I was still able to get fast hits from a draw in same time as with lighter gun. While the Chaos feels heavier doing it, my hits were consistently better with heavier gun in this drill. Much greater control - I like it.

The grip is amazing - waiting on my hands to toughen up more to support the fun now!

Thanks for weighing both. 

I shot a 53 oz Titan in Limited. It's an awesome gun!  

I hear people saying heavier guns are slower to transition. I disagree. I think it can be transitioned just as fast, just takes more effort. Also takes more effort to stop. While the heavier gun should shoot flatter, splits are the least important aspect of shooting.  At least in my mind. For me, accuracy then transitions are far more important than split times. I'd even say split times are down at the bottom of the list for me. It's not hard to split .20 with solid fundamentals (aka the correct sight pic). Transitioning to the next target with speed and precision is my new focus! Splits are not an issue for me. I'm thinking a lighter gun is going to be esiser to be more precise with. Though, practice is going to be the key with either. I just don't think the cost of the heavier grip, for the reason of faster splits, is worth the cost. 

BUT........I love the feel of the PT grip and that alone could make me ignore everything I just said!

Agreed on the split speeds being down the list of priority's. Fast A's on the move are where its at.

One of the hardest transitions we make is from the holster to first target. My point with that example in my training at least, was that I can still get 2 shots into a target just as fast with the heavier Chaos. Thinking the balance of the Chaos weight being further back helps this a lot. Much heavier grip and shorter overall length gun with lighter Titanium comp compared to lighter CK Thunder with poly grip. Chaos is not as nose heavy as a traditional full size gun with steel comp. At least for me, transitions have not slowed with the Chaos.

18 minutes ago, racer-x said:

Agreed on the split speeds being down the list of priority's. Fast A's on the move are where its at.

One of the hardest transitions we make is from the holster to first target. My point with that example in my training at least, was that I can still get 2 shots into a target just as fast with the heavier Chaos. Thinking the balance of the Chaos weight being further back helps this a lot. Much heavier grip and shorter overall length gun with lighter Titanium comp compared to lighter CK Thunder with poly grip. Chaos is not as nose heavy as a traditional full size gun with steel comp. At least for me, transitions have not slowed with the Chaos.

Yeah, I'm only dabbling in open.  I didn't think about shooting on the move. Seems that's more common in open. Though, to me the heavier the gun the more it's gonna bounce up and down while moving. 

All else being equal, I still think the heavier gun only helps with keeping the gun flatter for splits. Just my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Yeah, I'm only dabbling in open.  I didn't think about shooting on the move. Seems that's more common in open. Though, to me the heavier the gun the more it's gonna bounce up and down while moving. 

All else being equal, I still think the heavier gun only helps with keeping the gun flatter for splits. Just my opinion. 

My experience is just the opposite.

Assuming proper technique (footwork, lower stance, balance, etc.), shooting A's on the move is easier with a heavier gun. Newton's 1st law in play here.

4 minutes ago, racer-x said:

My experience is just the opposite.

Assuming proper technique (footwork, lower stance, balance, etc.), shooting A's on the move is easier with a heavier gun. Newton's 1st law in play here.

You might be right. 

18 minutes ago, MrPan said:

I don't think you will be able to tell the difference of 10 oz

10oz is a huge difference in an open gun. Example, a steel guide rod is 1.5oz and a tungsten is 3oz. Decent difference on how the gun feels/handles and that is only 1.5oz. 

Maybe some can't tell the difference as some also can't tell the difference shooting a 115 vs 124. 

Nothing wrong with that, just some can tell the slightest differences and some can't. But 10oz is big. 

Edited by echotango

Guess I am not sensitive enough to feel the difference in weight over a certain point. I do not think I could shoot notice the difference in performance between the two. I think it comes to balance rather than weight

I have zero experience with the high dollar open guns I just shoot a DVC but I've shot it with a plastic grip and then cheely E2 back to back same day.  My drill times were consistently .5 seconds faster on 2-3 target mach stages. I felt the weight helped me transition slower and not over run targets. If that makes sense. 

On 11/5/2018 at 4:21 PM, teros135 said:

A difference of 10 oz (that's more than a half-pound) is definitely noticeable, in  overall weight, balance, and recoil absorption.  I have steel grips on three guns, and they all shoot better for me. 

Agreed.

As another point of comparison, consider how differently the gun feels between first shot and last shot with a big stick. With my setup, that's 12.87 oz. lighter at the end of mag. Very noticeable to me.

18.28 oz. - 170 mag + 30 rounds

5.41 oz. - 170 mag - empty

I figured sense it’s the start of the off season for me, now would be a good time to try a few different powders and experiment a bit. I was using HS6 in my old gun so that’s all I really have experience with in my Chaos. I ordered a pound of each of the following:

Accurate #7
WAC
Silhouette
Shooters World Major
Already have HS6 (Currently using 8.2gr)

In the next month or so I’ll find a good load for each and then compare all 5 and see which feel I like better. If I’m really feeling ambitious I might even try each with 115gr bullets for the hell of it. Initial testing will be with 124’s.

I’ll be sure to keep track of everything and post any valuable results here for guys that might want to try something different.