Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA false start - what to do?

N3WWN

I searched, but didn't find a topic that covers my question exactly.

If I have made ready, am ready and standing by and hear the timer from the next bay and start moving, but before I actually start moving my RO presses the button and his timer beeps, what do I do?

I know I reacted to the timer in the next bay. But, my RO may have thought I just had cat-like reflexes, so my may not call it.

When this happened to me last year, I stuttered my movement (going into into a run), expecting my RO to stop me, he didn't immediately, so I started to move again. The RO then stopped me for a false start, telling me that he realized what had happened. We reset and proceeded.

If he hadn't stopped me, my time would have been negatively impacted due to my confusion and hesitation.

In the future, what is the correct thing to do? Just keep going without stuttering until the RO stops me, even if he doesn't? Or is there something else that I should do that wouldn't be considered stopping myself and zeroing the stage?

Should I complete the CoF and ask the RO if he caught my reaction to the timer in the next bay so we can determine if a reshoot is required?

I am trying to understand how to follow the rules and shoot within them, not game the rules for an unfair advantage because the RO may have missed my reaction to the other timer.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Covered here:

8.3.4.1 In the event that a competitor begins his attempt at the course of fire prematurely (“false start” prior to the issuance of the start signal) the Range Officer will, as soon as possible, stop and restart the competitor once the course of fire has been restored.

Thanks, but in my situation, I didn't know if the RO knew that I reacted to the timer in the next bay.

What if he doesn't realize it and doesn't stop me? I know I false started...

Always go full speed and commit to completing the course until told to do otherwise. Even if there's just cause to award a reshoot, you can't be certain that you'll get it. Take the opportunity that you do have to get the best possible score down on paper.

As the guy behind the timer, I'll say that I'm pretty quick to start someone over for jumping the beep - giving them a STOP command - before we have to tape paper and reset any steel. 

5 hours ago, N3WWN said:

Thanks, but in my situation, I didn't know if the RO knew that I reacted to the timer in the next bay.

What if he doesn't realize it and doesn't stop me? I know I false started...

You heard a beep from the next bay over? What kind of Alien Ear Technology are you using? Not even the MSA Sordin Supreme  Pro-X can pick that up...

8 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

You heard a beep from the next bay over? What kind of Alien Ear Technology are you using? Not even the MSA Sordin Supreme  Pro-X can pick that up...

I hear multiple beeps when shooting matches all the time.

8 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

I hear multiple beeps when shooting matches all the time.

Certain range layouts make this more of a possibility. The range in St George and Wichita Falls come to mind. Their bays have a narrow road running between them. Great compact range design, but increased noise from the other bay since there aren't berms to block the noise.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I use amplified electronic ear pro sometimes, which may have been the case on that stage. I don't recall, but would help explain why I heard both beeps.

The bays are only 10 yards wide or so. If nobody is shooting, you can definitely hear timer beeps from various bays. Usually not a problem since multiple shooters aren't standing by at the EXACT same time.

I'll commit to committing unless stopped or there is a safety issue. :)

After ULSC, I'll explain the situation to the RO, if necessary.

Thanks!

In general, I would recommend you just keep shooting in most situations, but as an RO, if you stop yourself before shooting anything and tell me you reacted to the beep from the other bay, I will happily restart you. In fact, I would VASTLY prefer that to having you finish the COF and then beg for a re-shoot when your stage doesn't go perfectly. I am very likely to say 'too bad' in that case. You shoot it, you own it.

4 hours ago, N3WWN said:

Thanks for all of the responses!

I use amplified electronic ear pro sometimes, which may have been the case on that stage. I don't recall, but would help explain why I heard both beeps.

The bays are only 10 yards wide or so. If nobody is shooting, you can definitely hear timer beeps from various bays. Usually not a problem since multiple shooters aren't standing by at the EXACT same time.

I'll commit to committing unless stopped or there is a safety issue. :)

After ULSC, I'll explain the situation to the RO, if necessary.

Thanks!

Also, I believe many shooters turn their electronics way down or off WHILE SHOOTING. This lets you focus on the stage and you will most likely only hear the timer by your ear. I shoot with mine up though so I live with being able to hear just about EVERYTHING until I actually pull the trigger.

What Moto said.  I don't want  believe the people who stated that they "Knew" they jumped the start and continued on.  That is not gaming, that is cheating.

I just lost a lot of respect for some shooters. 

Paul Beck

+2 on Moto.   I will say that if you did not move a muscle before my timer beeped, I would have no way of knowing you reacted to the other beep.  I might think to myself, wow, he's fast, but I wouldn't stop you.  If you stopped yourself, I'd gladly restart you.

This makes no sense to me. If you reacted to a beep from the next bay or Atlantis or wherever and ran off shooting, but I didn't activate the timer, am gonna call time out on your fun and restart. If you reacted to "the next bay" and got some infatesimally small start on when I released the button... ok good on ya. 

I'll never forget the times where experienced RO's let me fall on my face trying to anticipate the timer. 

This topic is irrelevant to a good RO. 

Hang out with one at your next match!

whatever you do, do not stop.

it's up to the RO to stop you. if he doesn't catch it and you stop he's likely to look at you blankly while the timer is ticking over...

I have made this booboo.

a stage with a dropping target covered by a no shoot. it was activated by felling a popper. when the popper falls the no shoot drops revealing the shoot target which then also dropped leaving on 1 inch of the top visible (should have been a disappearing target but people often mess up scoring those so by leaving 1 inch visible it can technically be non-dissapearing).

While I was doing my last minute run through I heard the guy setting that target having some difficulty (which must have gotten in my head).

I shot the popper and set up on the dropper. nothing happened. I waited a beat, then lowered the gun and turned around waiting for the RO to call REF/Reshoot. Well as I'm looking at him the f$%king thing drops.. likely it was just hung up slightly. I was so annoyed and had switched out of 'stage mode' that I didn't even fire at it thus incurring 2 misses and 1 FTE. d'oh!!

moral is it's the RO's responsibility to stop you. you cannot count on him/her seeing everything. ZZT says he'd re-shoot you if you stopped yourself and explained what happened but that's not what he should do. if he doesn't call the 'creeping/false start' he cannot and should not take your word for it. next thing will be a shooter gets a crap draw or a hesitated start and decides he'll stop himself and grab a re-shoot. this is why only RO's can ORDER re-shoots. 

I don't wear electronic ear pro, but I have pretty decent ears on my head. Even double plugged I pretty frequently will jump early when I hear a shot or something from the next bay over. Generally that is not a good thing, because it seems like the RO always pushes the button while I am bringing my hands back into the start position.... I end up doing a little yo-yo action that messes up my draw.