Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do we call ourselves...

MikieM

Back in the early 80's when someone would ask us what shooting sport we were involved with we would almost always say, "Combat." As a matter-of-fact that's where the name Wilson Combat came from.

Now, however, it doesn't seem to apply, what with political correctness, and all.

So, when someone asks what kind of shooting we USPSA/IPSC shooters do, what is the appropriate thing to say?

Thanks, Mike.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the audience. If they are not familiar with USPSA, I generally try "practical pistol" first. If they don't get that I say, "you know, run and gun with a pistol". That seems to work. :)  

"Action pistol. We shoot scenarios. You're in a room with targets through windows & around corners, or around cars on the move. Things like that."

Almost verbatim version of what I say.

"Practical pistol" sounds about as fast and exciting as a book club.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

"USPSA", "IPSC", "Practical Pistol", "Action Pistol", "3 Gun" all seem to generate blank stares and the sound of crickets chirping. I imagine most people, upon hearing '3 Gun' picture 50 foot bullseye pistol, 100 yard deer gun sight in, and a round or two of trap. The only thing that gets my point across is cuing up a short video or two on my phone / computer. Even then I would guess that half those asking / viewing think it is some sort of movie set fakery, as in no way can that be done in real life. Shrugs and sighs.

FWIW - Internationally the term tends towards either "Action Shooting" or "Dynamic Shooting."  That crowd tends to be a little more nervous about the PC implications than we do.

I agree ... One video is probably worth WAY more than all the words one can use.  Just choose your video wisely!

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

"Action pistol. We shoot scenarios. You're in a room with targets through windows & around corners, or around cars on the move. Things like that."

Almost verbatim version of what I say.

"Practical pistol" sounds about as fast and exciting as a book club.

Action pistol seems to get a response like, "oh, you mean NRA action pistol?"

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Action pistol seems to get a response like, "oh, you mean NRA action pistol?"

I've never had someone ask who would have heard of actual NRA Action Pistol. Confusing the two has never remotely been an issue. Especially since the NRA matches are all but dead, and feature no actual Action.

You're not the first USPSA guy to point out my borrowed term. ;) I'm simply following the KISS principle.

And its largely irrelevant: Usually you get to rapidly follow up with a match video off of your phone, and that's what really gets them to bite.

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

I've never had someone ask who would have heard of actual NRA Action Pistol. Confusing the two has never remotely been an issue. Especially since the NRA matches are all but dead, and feature no actual Action.

NRA types, which there a hell of a lot of, seem to recognize it.

I actually know two die hard NRA pistol instructors who tried USPSA and found it "unsafe" in their opinions.

Not arguing with you MM just trying to show it's not easy relating what we do. 

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

The fun kind ;)

Agreed. At a match last Summer I asked one of the ROs how he would describe what we do, as opposed, say, to IDPA.

He said, "Shooting USPSA is like running through your front yard shooting zombies."

Edited by MikieM

I've never called it (our sport) Practical Pistol, because many years ago there was PPC shooting. The Practical Pistol Confederation, I believe it was.

PPC was almost all Police Officers using revolvers. Mostly model 13 S&Ws in .38 Special.

24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Not arguing with you MM just trying to show it's not easy relating what we do. 

If an NRA type asked, I would frame my answer differently. But you talking about gun people asking about USPSA. That has not happened to me.

I'm always asked by coworkers or friends who own a gun, who like shooting it, but aren't gun people.  Their knowledge of the NRA ends at Charlton Heston. Hence my answer.

58 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I've never called it (our sport) Practical Pistol, because many years ago there was PPC shooting. The Practical Pistol Confederation, I believe it was.

PPC was almost all Police Officers using revolvers. Mostly model 13 S&Ws in .38 Special.

PPC = Police Pistol Combat that is why it was almost all Police. I think it can also be called "Precision Pistol Competition"

Either way, it was meant for Police, although some places had civilian divisions. It's also pretty much a dead sport i think, and most people wont know what it is. I've never heard it referred to as "Practical"

24 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

lol, if that's how you shoot USPSA, you are doing it wrong.

Well, I am a solid C class shooter so!......

kidding. 

Im D class. 

Seriosly, I'm actually unclassified. I've only shot two matches. Hope

to shoot a lot more this year!  

And no, I don't do that.  

Edited by B_RAD

If I used combat, idpa, real life, tactical, or scenarios in a sentence I'd certainly die a little inside.

heres what I do -

"so what do you do for fun?"

"I shoot a lot" 

"oh that's cool, what do you shoot at?"

"I shoot USPSA, I basically run around and shoot things. It's a lot of fun.."

"..oh.." 

"yea, here's a video"

"oh wow that looks awesome!"

then they ask a bunch of dumb questions and I answer them in laymen terms and be real nice and invite them to go and offer gear and training prior to match day. They say things like "yea that would be awesome" and then say things like "I've been thinking about getting a gun.." and then they never show up or care to shoot. Gets old