Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone switch from the Xtreme Delta to the Titan? Trigger creep

waktasz

14 minutes ago, waktasz said:

When the hammer is back the trigger bar isn't touching the wings at all...

...It's just trigger bar, sear, and hammer hooks.

The disco wing(s) are a double-action thing.

It's possible that some other aspect of @hwansikcjswo's disconnectors could be responsible for the difference, though, I suppose.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon further review, my gun with the Titan in it was behaving almost in an M&P like fashion. The hammer was camming back a bit as I was pulling through the creep, before eventually breaking.  I bet it has more to do with the angles of the hammer hooks than the length. 

It has to be hammer hook / sear face geometry, since nothing else could cause this. Right?

That's just great.

Now we are all going to be running PD's Super Titans by the end of the year with .003" travel 1.1lb triggers using Optimized hook geometry...

Thanks a lot, @waktasz.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

50 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Upon further review, my gun with the Titan in it was behaving almost in an M&P like fashion. The hammer was camming back a bit as I was pulling through the creep, before eventually breaking.  I bet it has more to do with the angles of the hammer hooks than the length. 

If it's camming back your probably right about the angle of the hooks, hence why we get such good results after cutting the Titan hooks back and slightly re-profiling them. 

12 hours ago, waktasz said:

Like 33 oz in single action. My crappy gauge doesn't go high enough to measure DA pull but it's not bad...slightly higher than with the xtreme light spring.

I lied. I remeasured tonight, it's more like 29-30oz

I have 3 guns with Deltas. I shoot locals and practice with shit primers so I wanted to put a Titan in one to see what would happen. The trigger issue appeared after that. It's honestly not that bad but my trigger OCD definitely noticed it right away

No creep in my pair but I'm not running bolo just Titan, Xtreme sear, FP and PD springs.

You had a reliable gun and 14# PD springs pop CCI and S&B for me. Also JJ's and Ben's guns have Delta. You see what you did here? [emoji23]

Ok, so I did my best to polish the hammer hooks.
I also found a sharp edge on the frame that I missed during the original polish job.
The edge of the frame where the trigger bar slides under, just back of the hole for the safety
bf106d6d297727fcbec672d5d5716afb.jpg
00e21a2838ee1aa47d62029c6dfe8e67.jpg

I just touched the front, sharp edge with a "Remgrit" file, then put some Blue Magic on it and the bar, and cycled it a couple hundred times.

I couldn't find my calipers, I'll have to borrow a set from work, and I'm assuming it's impossible to tell from a pic, but this is what they look like.... guessing it's more than enough

2be76849503f9e8e28700bb804ddecf2.jpg

After all that, I did end up with a much nicer pull.... also dropped my DA and SA pull by about #1/4 each!!!

Here's what it looks like now
https://vimeo.com/202346224

Other than the Titan hammer, how would I go about reducing DA, but raising SA pull? (The SA is under #2 on my admittedly not certified scale)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

50 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

The creep in your SA still kills me. What on earth might be causing that? You say you don't feel it when you're shooting at speed, though. I guess that's what really counts.

It's the stock hammer, the hooks are 3/4 of a mile long.  My stock setup does the same thing, I don't notice it at speed but I've not shot a tricked out PDO trigger either.

The creep you guys are seeing is strictly a Hammer/Sear interference issue. Nothing more nothing less, it's taking that much trigger movement to lift the Sear out of the hammer hooks due to an inefficient cut on the hooks or possibly the hooks being to tall. Only way to properly cure this is cut down the hooks and then re-profile the hook angle to ensure the Sear doesn't slip off to early or inadvertently.

5 hours ago, IronArcher said:

At least it's smooth travel now. I can live with it.
If the hooks are too tall, can't we just cut them down a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes you can...... However you need to ensure you can cut the hooks and keep them straight and concentric with the sear face. You'll also need to re-profile the hook angle in order to prevent a hammer hook to sear face interface that could cause inadvertent hammer drop or release and make the firearm unsafe. Its not as easy as "taking a bit off the top"...... 

• 1 month later...

How much heavier hammer spring would you need to have the same reliability with the Delta over the Titan all else being equal?

Would the only trade off be a little extra pull weight for a better trigger feel?

I'm experiencing the same thing with my new Lim Pro. What I found was that the creep actually got worse from me after polishing. Before polishing the face of the sear is still blued, and both surfaces are 'relatively' rough. This provides enough friction for the tension of the sear against the hooks to load up untill there is enough for the sear to clear the hooks as soon as it starts moving. Problem is once everything is all slicked up and oiled, even a small amount of pressure against the sear leg from your trigger/trigger bar, gets the sear start sliding up the hooks. I notice the same rearward camming thing with my polished factory hammer. That is pretty common for factory guns, because I believe it makes them safer. Even if the trigger is touched and the sear starts to lift, the hammer tension, will push the sear back down once the trigger is released, hence creep... Part of me wants to try messing with the hooks, but I don't really feel like spending the money on a Titan hammer for my backup, if I screw it up. I suppose if you really wanted to increase your sa trigger pull weight, you could touch your sear with some 220 grit or so, maybe?