Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pros and Cons of the Glock 24 Versus the Glock 35 For Limited

Andis2068

I purchased an STI Edge last about a year ago to move from Single Stack into Limited.  I like the STI, but lately I've been thinking about shooting something more like my work guns.  So I've been considering shooting Limited with a Glock 35 or 24.  I know that this subject has probably been covered previously, but I couldn't find a thread that really laid out the pro and cons of both platforms.  I see a lot of lightly modified G35s at local matches, but it seems like the pros that run Glocks prefer the G24.  It also seems like most of G35s I see being used by pros have a lot of added frame weight, like SJC frame weights and such.  I'm looking for the pros and cons comparison of both Glocks.

I have both.  Got the 35 first and then the 24.  I prefer the 24 for the increased sight radius as mentioned.  The only advantage to the 35 is it's available in Gen 4 and also they're readily available whereas with the 24 you have to get lucky and find one used.  That's also why you're seeing a lot more 35s than 24s at local matches.

You have already made a few good observations. Let's assume you will purchase a new Gen4 35 or a used Gen3 24. I had this same moment before shooting both and buying the 24. Break it down into a few categories:

Sight radius: 24 wins all day but the 35 is ample for most all USPSA stages. 

Trigger: 24 wins as tuned Gen3 triggers are much better than their Gen4 counterpart. 

Ergos: For me the 35 would get the nod here as I prefer the Gen4 ergos. If your duty guns are Gen3 you may be more in tune with a 24. 

Transitions: The 35 is shorter and lighter than the 24. If left in stock formation it is the clear winner. However the 24 is so much more shootable that most people, as you have stated, use an SJC frame weight on their 35s. My 24 has the heavy SJC magwell on it and it transitions much better than a 35 with a magwell and frame weight. It also has no more noticeable muzzle flip than a 35 with a frame weight. 

Holster selection: To me the frame weight was a must have on the 35 and not at all necessary on the 24. If you run the frame weight you are extremely limited on holster selection. 

I would try try to shoot both and see how they work for you. As I have stated, to me the frame weight was a necessity on the 35 but not the 24. This alone made my decision easy as I did not care for the frame weight in transition and holster selection. Your results may vary. I actually prefer the Gen4 ergos over the Gen3 so this made my decision that much tougher. I'm still waiting on the release of a Gen4 24, which would be the perfect gun in my book. Hope this helps. 

• 2 years later...

I've run a Gen4 G35 but ultimately sold it and moved back to Gen 3 frames. (common grip matching my production and CO guns)  I scored a NIB Gen 3 G24 from a local shop and have since set it up with SJC magwell and frame weight and while i have enjoyed the novelty of a lesser known Glock model, the lack of holster options can be frustrating.  Hand downs, if you want to run with 2011's a G24 can get you there for half the price - but I would recommend the CR speed holster or custom kydex build.

If i were to do it all over again, I would get a Gen 3 G35 (Magwells on Gen 4's can be a challenge for the changeable back straps - my TTI magwell would not comply but i believe some models will accept them but cutting off the bottoms) and install a extended barrel and Taylor Freelance sight tracker.  Holsters would still be a pain, but that can be offset by the ease of converting back over to a std barrel and having a few complement of holsters and gear.

"Trigger: 24 wins as tuned Gen3 triggers are much better than their Gen4 counterpart. "

This isn't true. You can drop in Gen3 parts or if tuned properly they can feel nearly exactly the same. I actually run the Gen4 "bump" trigger bar in my Gen3. 

I personally think sight radius is misunderstood and that the 24 offers zero benefit because of it. At least, when it compares to USPSA. 

Most shooters are putting on thin front sights and wide rear sights. This is to speed up sight pictures for fast shooting. There is quite a bit of daylight between the front sight and rear sight. So, I don't buy into the sight radius being anymore accurate. 

To me, it's old timer dogma. 

The 24 is gonna get you more velocity. If that matters to you.  And I think that's the only benefit. 

I believe the slide wieghs a tad more on the 24. Though, I can't remember for sure. 

The triggers are not better on gen3 vs gen4. 

IMO, neither offers any advantage. I'd want to add weight to either. 

Yes, the pros (Coley, Vogel) use the 24 but I don't think they'd loose a single point if they shot the 35. 

Of course, all this is just my opinion. I think anyone saying different is thier opinion and not fact. 

have owned a 35 and 24. Still have the 24. However I do indeed qualify as an old timer. I was shooting full autos and IPSC before some younger folks were born. 

LOL

Edited by rdinga

• 2 weeks later...

I generally shoot a 35 when I dabble in Limited.  I have found that the reputed velocity advantage to the 24 isn't true in mine.  It's counter-intuitive, but my KKM-barreled 35 will run 4-7 PF higher than the OEM-barreled 24.

I will often carry both to a match.  If it is a close-up match, the 35 wins all day long.  If there's a lot of hard cover, no-shoots, or distance, I feel that the 24 is easier to shoot precisely.

The dis-advantage to the 24 (at least for me) is that I will shoot it slower, still attempting to see a perfect sight picture before each shot.  With the 24, if the front sight is anywhere in the same ZIP code as the rear sight, the shot will be there on most targets.  You don't need to waste the time refining the alignment.   I admit that my insistence on doing that is my problem....