Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vitamin D

Bill T

For about the last year or so I have had a lot of issues with muscle and joint pain. I thought it was just from old age setting in. It got to the point when I would get down on the living room carpet to play with the dog, I could hardly get up! It really hurt. Then about 6 months ago I had a doctors appointment for a checkup and routine blood panel, and he called me to tell me I had a large Vitamin D deficiency. He also was questioning my Thyroid results. He said that could be effected by me lacking Vitamin D as well.

He told me to immediately start taking 2,000 units a day. So I did. I couldn't believe the difference! Within a couple of weeks I started to improve. Most all the muscle and joint pain I was having went away. I can bounce up off the floor like I was 30. I just had my blood panel redone, and my thyroid was completely normal. I had no idea Vitamin D was that important. He said many adults in their 60's lack it.

So now I make sure I take 2,000 units a day regularly. All of the pain and discomfort I was experiencing all went away. The stuff is cheap, and can really improve your life. Try it and see. I doubt you will be disappointed in the results.

ALL of the vitamins are  ...   ESSENTIAL  ....   (NOT important) but essential.    :bow:

If you were low on Vit D, I wonder what other essential micronutrients you might

also be deficient in - my wife has short bowel syndrome and is deficient in ALL

micronutrients - she had the same AHA moment with iron, glucosamine, Vit A, D and E,

and especially Vit B12 (as we age, some of us stop digesting Vit B12 and have to

get it thru sublinqual Vit B12 pills (Put them under your tongue, and let them dissolve -

that way they are absorbed directly into the blood stream, instead of going thru the

digestive tract, which might be destroying the B12 - not everybody, but lots of old people

(I take them every day).

BUT, Vit's A & D, both, I have peculiar reactions to them both - one makes me Very

Angry (are you reading this Grumpy?) and the other makes me weepy  - so, I stay

away from both of them.

Experiment, but watch for positive AND negative reactions.    :) 

32 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

ALL of the vitamins are  ...   ESSENTIAL  ....   (NOT important) but essential.    :bow:

If you were low on Vit D, I wonder what other essential micronutrients you might

also be deficient in - my wife has short bowel syndrome and is deficient in ALL

micronutrients - she had the same AHA moment with iron, glucosamine, Vit A, D and E,

and especially Vit B12 (as we age, some of us stop digesting Vit B12 and have to

get it thru sublinqual Vit B12 pills (Put them under your tongue, and let them dissolve -

that way they are absorbed directly into the blood stream, instead of going thru the

digestive tract, which might be destroying the B12 - not everybody, but lots of old people

(I take them every day).

BUT, Vit's A & D, both, I have peculiar reactions to them both - one makes me Very

Angry (are you reading this Grumpy?) and the other makes me weepy  - so, I stay

away from both of them.

Experiment, but watch for positive AND negative reactions.    :) 

I was born angry, Jack...vitamins has nothing to with it...I slapped the doc instead of the other way round.

27 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I apologize for hi-jackin' (no pun intended) this post, and really None of My Business,

but are you mod's really reading EVERY posting?

We read many of the posts...but we also keep an eye on trouble makers...like you.:devil:

• 3 months later...

another one people especially MD's miss is magnesium deficiency...   approximately 57% of population is mag deficient.   another supplement I also swear by is (high grade) fish oil.   due to the modern farming and feed lot practices   our mag and   epa dha fats found in fish oil  are  out of  kilter...

ps.   mag help most sleep better and improve bowel function,  and helps many suffering with migraines

• 11 months later...

I have had chronic issues with low vitamin D.. When my blood serum levels drop to the mid 20's I feel like a zombie & every muscle and bone hurts.   I take 15,000 IU daily and that maintains my serum levels at about 80.   Its worth noting that people shouldnt take high doses without blood serum testing. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/21/2016 at 8:49 AM, Bill T said:

For about the last year or so I have had a lot of issues with muscle and joint pain. I thought it was just from old age setting in. It got to the point when I would get down on the living room carpet to play with the dog, I could hardly get up! It really hurt. Then about 6 months ago I had a doctors appointment for a checkup and routine blood panel, and he called me to tell me I had a large Vitamin D deficiency. He also was questioning my Thyroid results. He said that could be effected by me lacking Vitamin D as well.

He told me to immediately start taking 2,000 units a day. So I did. I couldn't believe the difference! Within a couple of weeks I started to improve. Most all the muscle and joint pain I was having went away. I can bounce up off the floor like I was 30. I just had my blood panel redone, and my thyroid was completely normal. I had no idea Vitamin D was that important. He said many adults in their 60's lack it.

So now I make sure I take 2,000 units a day regularly. All of the pain and discomfort I was experiencing all went away. The stuff is cheap, and can really improve your life. Try it and see. I doubt you will be disappointed in the results.

That’s amazing!  Congratulations!

• 1 year later...

Severe Vitamin D deficiency causes Rickets which is a serious health problem.  Several years ago I  heard a doctor interviewed on a radio health show and he claimed Vitamin D deficiency is common among Americans and he recommended a daily supplement of 1000 to 2000 IU.  He had no financial interest in this as Vitamin D is cheap and widely available in any drug store or grocery store.  

The reasons for this deficiency is our current indoor lifestyle and work environment.  We used to get plenty of Vitamin D from working or playing outside but the number of people with who work outdoor has shrunk a great deal and kids, who used to be sent outside to play, now spend their time in front of a computer or TV game.  Finally, when we do go out we tend to be covered in high SPF sunblock.   

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Some may argue that all you need is some sunlight and your vit D level will be just fine. However, in the past 10 years or so, there were a lot of studies that sunlight is not enough. In fact, a few studies were done in people who were exposed to sunlight more than 8 hours a day but their VitD levels werestill low.

Low Vit D levels have been linked to cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune disorders. Certainly wont hurt to asked your PCP to check your levels during an annual exam.

There's pretty good amounts of vitamin D in fish, milk products, and some other foods.

Sunlight might help but some of us live in places where there isn't all that much sunlight during the winter months.

I’ve had my vitamin D checked regularly for the last 10 years. I’ve found in the winter in Colorado (still very sunny and 6100’ elevation), I take 10,000 IU’s a day. In the summer I take 6,000 a day. This keeps my vitamin D levels above 50nmol/L which is the recommended level. I’m usually mid 50’s to low 60’s. I’m 38, live in a state with 300+ days of sun. Mountain bike 2000+ miles a year, hunt all September, very active OUTSIDE. Unless you live at the equator the sun isn’t cutting it. You need vitamin D from your food and supplementation. 

How well sun exposure increases your Vit D level depends on a few things. Most important are the total skin area exposed, the angle of the sun relative to the skin surface, and the proximity to the equator. The fact that one is outside is not a guarantee that you will get enough natural Vit D because, in this day and age, we cover ourselves up to avoid excessive sun.

So I agree with Nick. I was a licensed, competitive cyclist for years. The only parts that got sun were the lower half of my arms and legs. Anyone who doesn't cover up when in the mountains will learn the hard way about skin protection, especially at elevation.