Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG MPX

39 minutes ago, brytec said:

What is your orientation of the bullets in you mag pouch, pointing forward or backwards for reloading?  TIA

For reloads - Beercan grip,  bullets pointing down.  With the mag/pouch in front, similar to how many Open shooters do it.

IMG_0052.jpg

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rjracing said:

Im interested in getting into PCC later this season and do you guys that have owned and been competing with the Sig MPX still think its a good platform to build off of?

Last summer it was. A friend asked me if I had been reading up on the new Ruger. I told him NO, I’d spent 8 months, and about 4K, to get a pair of MPXs set up, and I wasn’t going to change now.

That said, the guy that corrupted me to switch to MPX, by letting me shoot his, is talking about getting a JP GMR15.

My first, was an Aero survival rifle. What sold me on it, was that you can screw off the hand guard, pull the barrel out, pull the bolt assy, like a shotgun for cleaning. Stock is never good enough, so I had NJK custom thread the barrel, install a brake, drill & tap the mag release, safety, and put Dawson, lo-pro buttons on, and install mercury, recoil reducers in the stock. It was after all of that, when I shot an MPX, and I was shocked that it was softer.

That said, recoil is subjective. I’m sure that there’s shooters that could use a.308 and beat me, because they actually practice.:(

6 hours ago, Rjracing said:

Im interested in getting into PCC later this season and do you guys that have owned and been competing with the Sig MPX still think its a good platform to build off of?

Hello: I think the MPX is a good platform to build up on if you like softer recoil. It does take more to clean these but once setup they are very good. Is it that much better than a AR9? I am not sure if it really is faster or better just different. I have both AR9's and MPX's. After you get both setup with loads and weight where you want it they both will get the job done. To build an MPX I would start with a 8" pistol and build it up. That way you get in cheaper to start with and don't have to sell of stuff you don't want/need. I would sell off the barrel and hand guard and get a In Lead We Trust 16" barrel and Isler hand guard. Add a buffer tube, stock, Radian charging handle and a Thordsen adapter. Lastly get a Hiperfire 24C or 3-gun trigger. Doing all this you will have over $2000 in it. Can you build a AR9 for half of that, yes you can. If you want top shelf AR9 stuff you will have about $1600 in one if you do the work yourself. Around here we don't have many MPX's but the ones that are here seem to run 100% with either reloads or factory ammo. AR9's run better with reloads tuned to the PCC. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: To build an MPX I would start with a 8" pistol and build it up. That way you get in cheaper to start with and don't have to sell of stuff you don't want/need. I would sell off the barrel and hand guard and get a In Lead We Trust 16" barrel and Isler hand guard. Add a buffer tube, stock, Radian charging handle and a Thordsen adapter. Lastly get a Hiperfire 24C or 3-gun trigger.  Thanks, Eric

Can you turn a pistol into a rifle like that with no ATF issues? 

A well-tuned AR9 runs very close (if not identical) to an MPX.  To expand on Eric's post above, you'll trade time for money. 

I love the PCC game, and I play at least once a week and quite often twice, putting just over a case of ammo downrange a month.  I'm a B shooter (USPSA) / SS (IDPA), so not all that great, but my scores have dropped DRAMATICALLY from going from a fairly harsh recoiling Tavor X95 to an MPX.  I could likely have gotten the same benefit by going to a very well-tuned AR9, but it would have taken a ton more time AND money, because you almost certainly HAVE to reload to get the same performance out of an AR9.

You can train yourself to tame a sharp recoil jump on the second shot, and after nearly a year with the Tavor I was getting close.  Once I switched to the MPX, I realized what a handicap that was.  At B on up, the difference in scores can be less than a second per stage, and rarely more than 2 seconds outside a malfunction or mental error.  The MPX gives the confidence to just point the gun at the target and fire two very, very fast shots, and know they'll be within half an inch of each other. 

This is all accomplished by the MPX expending a lot of the recoil energy working the piston / locking bolt mechanism, instead of all the energy going through the blowback.  Taming blowback means carefully matching the round (bullet weight, powder charge, burn rate, OAL, etc) to the buffer system.  Some people love this... I can see how the tuning part can become it's own kind of game with it's own satisfactions in mastering.  I don't have the time or interest at all to do this... I buy factory ammo.  And the MPX will give you the exact same performance by throwing some hot $.17 per round bulk factory in it that the AR9 will give after many, many hours of tuning load and buffer.  An AR9 with factory ammo is going to take more practice time to get fast with.

We're already seeing more locking bolt mechanisms showing up, and I have a feeling the MPX is going to be getting a lot of competition in the future.  Right now, though, if you don't want to reload and play the tuning game, the MPX is the gun to beat.  Just bring a fat wallet. 

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think the MPX is a good platform to build up on if you like softer recoil. It does take more to clean these but once setup they are very good. Is it that much better than a AR9? I am not sure if it really is faster or better just different. I have both AR9's and MPX's. After you get both setup with loads and weight where you want it they both will get the job done. To build an MPX I would start with a 8" pistol and build it up. That way you get in cheaper to start with and don't have to sell of stuff you don't want/need. I would sell off the barrel and hand guard and get a In Lead We Trust 16" barrel and Isler hand guard. Add a buffer tube, stock, Radian charging handle and a Thordsen adapter. Lastly get a Hiperfire 24C or 3-gun trigger. Doing all this you will have over $2000 in it. Can you build a AR9 for half of that, yes you can. If you want top shelf AR9 stuff you will have about $1600 in one if you do the work yourself. Around here we don't have many MPX's but the ones that are here seem to run 100% with either reloads or factory ammo. AR9's run better with reloads tuned to the PCC. Thanks, Eric

Eric- I sold my AR9 blow back after finding how much I love the SIG- especially with the 115s and either N320- and Sport Pistol- 

Edited by Rolex
spelling
On 1/29/2018 at 3:28 AM, RH45 said:

I finally figured out what was going on. Apparently, my mags, with the +10 extensions, even when downloaded to 38, push up on the bottom of the bolt, with too much force, slowing it enough that it doesn’t always go in to battery. The regular factory mags seem to work fine. I’m going to leave the big mags loaded for a while and see if that relaxes the springs a little.

I had the same issue with mine the first time out. Now that I’ve ran a few hundred rounds through it an loaded the mags a few times they seem to be running better. Still not good enough for me to run it at a match. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a lightly used Radian Raptor charging handle. Wow, what a difference over stock.

Then, I bought a second one for my other gun,  from Optics Planet, between being on sale, and a 10% off discount code, it only cost me like $76:D

4 hours ago, RH45 said:

I bought a lightly used Radian Raptor charging handle. Wow, what a difference over stock.

Then, I bought a second one for my other gun,  from Optics Planet, between being on sale, and a 10% off discount code, it only cost me like $76:D

Hello: They are well worth the money for those empty table starts. Thanks, Eric

9 hours ago, LowBoost said:

For those with a CMore red dot. Do you believe it is sturdy enough like a Trijicon MRO or is it on the fragile side?

Hello: I have one of my C-More that has been on 223's, open pistols, 22's and now is on an MPX. It is still working after 10 years of use. I don't think it is fragile at all unless you run it over. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have one of my C-More that has been on 223's, open pistols, 22's and now is on an MPX. It is still working after 10 years of use. I don't think it is fragile at all unless you run it over. Thanks, Eric

Agreed - not fragile at all under normal operation.  I have both (MRO is on a Tavor), and the C-More is faster.  4 MOA on the CM allows for faster target acquisition, and the thin frame just disappears in my view compared to the MRO.  This was somewhat shocking to me... the MRO has a pretty thin barrel specifically to give the shooter a more open sight picture, but after using the CM for just a few weeks it's almost painful looking through the MRO.  The frame feels enormous and intrusive. 

Now, 'normal operation' refers to the fairly gentle handling a race gun gets.  The MRO is a sight you can go to war with... throw it around, toss it in the back of an vehicle, generally give it some abuse, and it will typically keep on working.  I wouldn't expect the CM to have nearly that kind of resistance to damage.