Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG MPX

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On August 26, 2017 at 12:02 PM, TRUBL said:

BTW.......here is the very first TACCOM Carbon Fiber Hand Guard for the MPX......total weight including the nut, 6.5 ounces. This particular MPX is now at 5 pounds 12 ounces.59a1d3d7c448b_mpxdone.thumb.jpg.b9bd6681a930671e3b29aa73845bb865.jpg

Is that weight right? It looks like it should be lighter. 

20 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I got mine down to 6lbs flat and didn't like it that light.  Back up to right at 7 lbs with a stock change seems to be the sweet spot for me

Do you mean it's too light because of the recoil management and the dot moves too much now?

28 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Neither.  The gun is just more anchored with a heavier stock.  Light front heavy stock seems to work best for me.  I can sling it around and transition quickly but the gun settles down quickly.  

Ah, ok that makes sense. 

I asked because my MPX moves a little bit more, after swapping to a CF handguard. (still have the factory carbine barrel).

Thanks!

Sorry guys.......BS.......Got a couple M's and GM's in my shop that will play that card on you any day, Light weight is where it's at for USPSA PCC. Especially in the front end, the back end really don't mean crap one way or the other. BTW....our MPX's recoil like 10/22's

Hello: I don't know, there are couple of really good GM's using the Sig MPX carbine just the way they are, weight wise and doing very well with them. I think it is a personal setup that you like and shoots well for you. I do think too light can be a little harder on the shoulder just like a light shotgun over a heavy shotgun. The balance is important also. Thanks, Eric

10 hours ago, TRUBL said:

Sorry guys.......BS.......Got a couple M's and GM's in my shop that will play that card on you any day, Light weight is where it's at for USPSA PCC. Especially in the front end, the back end really don't mean crap one way or the other. BTW....our MPX's recoil like 10/22's

Meh.  Doesn't really matter much.  Light guns are quirky and heavy guns are slower to transition.  At the end of the day it mans very little.  Fast A's are all that matters.  

Hello: Has anyone been running the Gen 1 mags in there Gen 2 MPX? I have run about 500 rounds through the 20 round and the 30 round mags with no problems at all. Sig have both on sale for alot less than the Gen 2 mags. I bought 5-20 round and 3- 30 round Gen 1 mags to try out. Just collecting info and giving out info to help others out. Thanks, Eric

With all due respect to all GM and M's.  Just because they say it is the best thing going does not make it gold. It is your own personal preference and what works for you. I have shot with a GM for many years and am glad to call him a friend, and his MPX is full weight, and he has World Championships under his belt.

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Has anyone been running the Gen 1 mags in there Gen 2 MPX? I have run about 500 rounds through the 20 round and the 30 round mags with no problems at all. Sig have both on sale for alot less than the Gen 2 mags. I bought 5-20 round and 3- 30 round Gen 1 mags to try out. Just collecting info and giving out info to help others out. Thanks, Eric

I have heard that they will not run 100% and it is best to keep gen 2 mags to gen 2 guns and gen 1 to gen 1. The best part of the MPX is the insanely reliable magazines. You don't really need that many. I would just bite the bullet and get gen 2's. 

28 minutes ago, troupe said:

With all due respect to all GM and M's.  Just because they say it is the best thing going does not make it gold. It is your own personal preference and what works for you. I have shot with a GM for many years and am glad to call him a friend, and his MPX is full weight, and he has World Championships under his belt.

Yup.  The difference between a heavy MPX ( 8 lbs) and  a light MPX (6 lbs) isn't squat int he grand scheme of things.  

2 minutes ago, MHitchcock said:

I have heard that they will not run 100% and it is best to keep gen 2 mags to gen 2 guns and gen 1 to gen 1. The best part of the MPX is the insanely reliable magazines. You don't really need that many. I would just bite the bullet and get gen 2's. 

Hello: Being the magazine whore that I am I have 3-30 round Gen 2 mags as well with 2 of them having Taran Tactical 41 round base pads(they actually hold 42). The 3rd mag has the follower stopper cut off at 3/4" giving me a very reloadable 34 rounds. I am still waiting on my Weber Tactical mag pouches and hopefully they will arrive before next weekends match or else I will just have to back pocket the mags. I'll keep you posted on the gen 1 mags but for $18.99 each for the 30 round mags they may be used just for practice. The 20 round mags were a bit pricey at $8.99 each. Thanks, Eric

3 minutes ago, troupe said:

Glad to see Eric that you jumped on board. I love mine and I actually am having fun again shooting. Keep us posted on the Gen I mags.

Hello: I plan on doing a write up on my Sig MPX journey so far. I am just trying to get a load I like and a front weight setup as well. I may even end up making a barrel for it but have to take mine apart to see what is under the gas block. So far the 8" barrel with the Taccom welded extension feels pretty good with 133-145PF loads of 115,121,124, 135 and 147's. Is it a better mouse trap than my AR9mm - not sure yet. Thanks, Eric

Another local shooter got his gen 2,  MPX before I did. He runs a mix of gen1 & 2 mags without any issue. He did have issues with the charging handle, and just switched it to an aftermarket. It was hiccuping at a steel challange match. He said that was because he wanted to see how long it would be reliable without cleaning, or lube. He said it was about 3K.

I only have about 1k through mine, and only have gen 2 mags for it. It hiccuped once, out of about 200 rounds, when I was trying to run 115pf loads, at a steel match. Other than replacing the crappy, factory trigger with a Hyperfire, it is stock, and even with 130pf loads, I lose most of my brass because it throws it at least as far as my open guns do.