Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best custom Cz sp-01

jeremy kemlo

I live in California and looking to upgrade my USPSA production gun. I am looking at a cz sp01. Who will will produce the best gun when done working on it? Or are there any differences between cz custom, automatic accuracy, or Cajun.?

Edited by jeremy kemlo

3 minutes ago, ARy said:

Do it yourself. There are plenty of people to help you. If you're in socal, let me know and I can help. Self gratification is a great thing. No need to send it out. 

If I can save money and it will come out just as good. This will be for me and my son to share. It will most likely be used for many years to come. So I don't mind paying a little more to send it to a gun smith if that makes it better. 

I am all for doing it myself if it will come out just as good. 

You're gonna get a lot of folks telling you to search for this topic.

However, I'll offer up my limited experience with the CZ shadow. I just got one from AA as I'm making the switch from a Glock 34.  

I've borrowed a friends CZC. So, over the last couple of days I've compared them against each other.   

Ok, they do feel different but they also have different triggers.  Since I'm new to CZ's I can't think of which models are which.  The non-technical terms would be the one from CZC has the most curved trigger and the AA has the trigger with less curvature. The AA pulls less on the trigger gauge (I tested them last night) and it's also smoother to me. The CZC is slightly more crisp on SA pull but only barely. Again to me. You gotta realize that all parts are different and in combination with another part can make for a different feel for each different gun.  So, I believe it's all to be taken with a grain of salt.  

Now, I'll say this, I met the guys from AA when picking mine up. I've also talked with them several times over the last several weeks during the whole process.  And I've been pleased with thier service!  I spent some time with Matt this last weekend and he's a freakin bad mofo when it comes shooting, he is also a cool guy!  Extremely informative and answered all my questions, and I asked a lot! They will go the extra mile to take care of you. I have no doubt!

I'm sure CZC and CGW would also take care of you too!  I've actually talked with them all via email  and AA, CGW over the phone.  I've never been able to get CZC on the phone.  

As as for doing it yourself,..... Do you have the right tools? Do you know what to do? I'd be leery of someone who's not renowned for doing this work to offer up instruction.  Take the wrong angle off and yup you've ruined a part at the very least.   So, ask is your time and any hair pulling worth it the money you'd spend on the labor(still gotta buy parts).  I say hair because I've wanted to pull mine out before from getting into something I wasn't equipped to take on.  Though I'm bald so,..... I just end up scraping my scalp.  

One last thing, which is gonna be easier to resale? One built buy a pro like AA or one that's been bubba'd? Any potential buyer is gonna wonder if it's gonna function and if it's gonna go full auto!  At least I would!  

Good luck!

Edited by B_RAD

8 minutes ago, ARy said:

If you can't remove and replace the basic parts in your gun, you shouldn't be shooting it. And as for the "renowned" comment... there are plenty renowned 'smiths that are complete hacks... 

To the OP; all you'll be replacing is some springs, maybe a hammer, firing pin, disco... a polish job if you feel like you have the time.  It's not difficult. Don't let totally incompetent people sway you from working on your own gun. You should. There will be bumps and bruises, upsetting moments, but you'll look back and be glad you did. 

Well, I'm just providing the OP with my opinions. Wasn't trying to start an argument. 

Believe it or not, some folks aren't all that good at taking parts out and putting them back in.  Doesn't mean they shouldn't be shooting the gun. 

I don't really need to say much about the hack comment since the smiths in question are pretty well established to not be hacks!

Some of the parts you're talking about can require fitting. Also, I'd bet some of the parts could be made better by stoning certain parts. The shops can see that and address it.  Where as a shooter, tinkerer might not see those small things.  They know these parts way better than the average guy would!  

Not saying a DIY job can't be as good. Just saying got think about it from more than the cost angle. 

I'd say do it yourself too. There are plenty of guides - like Atlas's guide, that can point you in the right direction. If you mess a part up, cz parts are almost always readily available.

The only cz part I'd ever seen go out of stock were 10 rounder mec-gar mags.

ARy, I'm surprised your not trying to convince the OP to buy a Stock II instead, haha.

I'm with some of the others. CGW makes all the pieces that you could possibly want to upgrade on an SP01. If you learn to install the parts yourself, probably with a little fitting required, you will be much further along and actually knowing the platform of your match gun. This knowledge might prove very useful at a match one day should a part break, assuming you purchase some Of the extra parts that tend to fail over.  Especially since this is a pistol you are sharing with your son, if the gun fails you at a match and you have to drop out, so will he.

Edited by MissionaryMike

My SP01 came from Mat Mink and what is now AA.  Great pistol. 70k through it and still running strong.  Mat Mink is great to deal with.  I know Stuart Wong personally at CZC, and think just as highly of his work.  No dealings with CGW, but everything I read is positive.  Don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.  

Talk with all and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.  Although you could probably flip a three sided coin and make just a good a decision. IMHO.  

13 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

ARy, I'm surprised your not trying to convince the OP to buy a Stock II instead, haha.

I'm with some of the others. CGW makes all the pieces that you could possibly want to upgrade on an SP01. If you learn to install the parts yourself, probably with a little fitting required, you will be much further along and actually knowing the platform of your match gun. This knowledge might prove very useful at a match one day should a part break, assuming you purchase some Of the extra parts that tend to fail over.  Especially since this is a pistol you are sharing with your son, if the gun fails you at a match and you have to drop out, so will he.

Could not agree more. Do it yourself. If you are worried find someone local who is willing to help you. Will take a little longer but be fun. Especially looking forward to doing one day with my kids and showing them how to do it themselves.

If you shoot with any sort of volume at a minimum you need to be able to get at the springs and replace them.  You'll need a set of punches / roll pin punches to do that and you need a starter punch to get the trigger pin started.  The rest of the stuff are tools you likely already have.  

That said i will pay somebody to put a rear sight on my CZ ALL DAY LONG.  SCrew that.  If you don't have a proper vise, I'd let someone who does take a go at it. 

My experience was that it might be simple to upgrade a CZ but it can be much more tricky. I did all the springs on mine, but when the drop in disconnector went in it threw off the timing of the gun. A trip to CGW got it squared away though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would say do it yourself to save money and it will turn out better.  No one cares about your crap like you do.  This is by no means discounting the Smiths suggested above.  All are fantastic, but they have a finite amount of time; and can only afford to put so much time into your weapon.  You can spend 40+ hours polishing every part to the finest mirror finish.  If you were to pay a Smith to do this it will cost way more than anyone is willing to pay; I'd assume they charge at least $50/hour (probably more).  They will be much more efficient than you will be as they have done thousands and know what exactly to polish to get the best trigger for the least amount of time. Also, you'll know the pistol inside and out after doing it yourself.

Another vote for do it yourself. 

I've done an sp01 full CGW package,  then converted it back.

Did the same with my rami (no convert back though). 

Converted both our 75b to SAO. 

Installed a rail on a 97 BD

Etc.  Polished all of the internals too. 

It's fun,  and it's easy if you have the slightest bit of interest and mechanical ability.  

I need to buy one and do it myself. Over the years I have gotten more competent with gun smithing. I have the Sig platform down and even stripped down my X-5 Competition. I'm not sure how comfortable the OP is but with all the experience on this board I am sure if we get stuck we can get some help.

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Between the Atlas tutorial here and several excellent youtube videos, one should be able to do everything themselves. If you can find someone willing to help.... BONUS. My Sp-01 came from Automatic Accuracy but I'm still likely just gong to buy CGW parts and do the work myself.

Doing it yourself will allow you to tweak the gun to the way you like it.

some people like a lighter trigger, some people like a stronger return, others need more reliability built into the package as they dont reload, other can get lighter as they are meticulous about the way they reload.

I have seen some really nice work, that I wouldnt shoot because I don't like the way the trigger feels or handles.

so learning to do the work yourself has some benefits.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a CZ custom shop SPO-1 SAO gun made several years ago (c. 2009) and was disappointed with the quality and reliability of the work. 

First, I was sent completely different gun from that which I ordered (shadow DA/SA) and was forced to return it (paying shipping) and await another which eventually rattled loose.

Things may have changed with the additional talent there now, but I would consider educating yourself and possibly trying the upgrades you identify by yourself, despite the complexity of the design.

Alternatively, purchase the finest SAO pistol made, the Tactical Sport, and be done with it....

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2016 at 5:44 PM, ARy said:

.. Self gratification is a great thing. 

Hmmm, I thought that made you go blind and grow hair on your palms?  At least that's what I was taught in Sunday School.

So, jokes aside (even bad ones) here's another vote for doing it yourself and becoming a bit more educated on how your gun functions.  Although know your limitations, if you're on of those guys that has a hard time figuring out how to replace a serpentine belt or change your spare (yes, more common than most folks care to acknowledge) then leave the work to the professionals and just enjoy shooting your new, updated rig.