Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Wife Help

Fuzz

Backstory: The wife is coming full circle and she fell in love with my 40 S&W 1911 and wants to switch up from her PPQ and start shooting my Para 16/40 Pro Custom in the Limited Division. (Yes she has come a long way)

Problem is one I have never dealt with and I keep getting differences of opinion so I am no sure which way to go.

Problem is the Mag release with her being Left Handed.

Lots of folks suggest she just use her fore finger on the left hand to release the mag. She tried this and her finger was struggling with pushing the button. I put a light spring in it for her and took her to the range. Yep the mag kept getting bumped and dropping the mag unintentional. So then I removed the extension on the button which made it better but it still happened just a couple times.

Now I am thinking I will put a Mitchell left handed Mag release in the gun for $150. She says no she will get use to it. But with me knowing her she is just going to suffer through it and try to learn and shoot it without bumping the mag release. She is a Titewad and just thinks that way. I am not and want to get it right.

So the question is: Since so many shoot left handed with the 1911 and use the mag release with the fore finger should I let her try to learn it?
Or should I just buy the Mag release for the other side and then let her figure it out?

Anyone with any experience here, All opinions valued.

I've tried the lefty releases in my 1911 (not sure on the mitchell) and didn't like them. They can be complex internally.   Have her train with the forefinger. What I do now and find to work very well is have a wide ambi thumb safety, and fully engage the safety during the reload using the safety as something of a lever to rotate the gun a bit in my hand to better position the mag release allowing my forefinger to reach it better.  Then when disengaging the safety, the gun will go perfectly back into firing position.  It's safe and gets my finger in a spot where I can put a little more pressure on the button. Might be a slightly slower than the righties of the workd but nothing I concern myself with, and I shoot single stack. 

I've been a lefty all my life.  I just use my trigger finger to drop the mag.  It took minimal effort to learn this method back when I started, and is now second nature.  I would recommend against getting a left handed safety because then her gun will be different from every other 1911/2011/etc. gun out there.  When her gun breaks in a match and she has to borrow one to finish it will mess her up.  When ever she tries out someone's gun it will mess her up.  The good news is that by using her trigger finger to drop the mag, she will NEVER, EVER get DQ'd for having her finger on the trigger during a reload.  This technique is like any other part of shooting, it just takes a little practice at home with the gun and empty mags in front of the TV or something to get better at it.

I think she will be so much better off.  She will be able to pick up anyone's gun at the range, or anywhere else and be able to work it without any problems.

-Cuz.

I'm a lefty.  I would have her practice and master using her trigger finger to drop the mags.  I use a standard IDPA button and Infinity relieves the bottom of the button just a bit to help prevent me from dropping the mag during recoil.  I'm sure you could do the same.....

Hello: If she has small hands using the trigger finger may work better for her. If she has medium to larger hands the Mitchell mag release may work better. I know some right handed shooters who use the Mitchell mag release since they have smaller hands and are also used to an AR-15. I would let her shoot for a while and see how she does on mag changes. I found using my thumb was faster for me on mag changes since I could control the pistol better than using my trigger finger. I have a large hands so that may be a factor. If she does not like the Mitchell mag release you can always sell it. Thanks, Eric

Another southpaw here too... When I started USPSA last year (in production) I used my thumb on an ambi mag release on my plastic gun. I wanted a metal gun so I got a 2011 and switched to Limited. I thought I would buy a Mitchell, but after trying the trigger finger release, I've never looked back. Does it take some practice? Yes, but I'm glad I learned. It certainly is no slower than any right handed thumb user. I got my M card in July.  

Try using the middle finger, not the trigger finger.

I seem to get better leverage with that finger, it requires less maneuvering of the gun to get to the mag catch and leaves my trigger finger free to find the slide stop if I happen to be at slide lock (we're talking Single Stack here, going to slide lock is more common here than other divisions)

The one upside of shooting left handed is that extended and oversized mag catch buttons are not necessary. In fact they kind of get in the way.

Another lefty here, I  definitely would learn to use the trigger finger. This ensures it is out of the trigger guard for reloads, and with the finger being much longer then the thumb, she will have an advantage by not having to work so hard getting the thumb to the release. I would go so far to say if I even was forced to go right handed, I would reverse the mag release so I could use the trigger finger. I have pondered why righties have not tried doing so.

As a lefty I agree with using the strong hand index finger for all the reasons already mentioned.

How light of a spring did you try?  Wolff sells a 5 spring pack- factory and #1-4 with the # 4 being the lightest.

I've found I will drop mags with the #4, but the # 3 works fine.  Most people I've talked to use either the # 2 or #3.

Brownell's carries these also.

Steve Pitt

20 hours ago, stevepitt said:

As a lefty I agree with using the strong hand index finger for all the reasons already mentioned.

How light of a spring did you try?  Wolff sells a 5 spring pack- factory and #1-4 with the # 4 being the lightest.

I've found I will drop mags with the #4, but the # 3 works fine.  Most people I've talked to use either the # 2 or #3.

Brownell's carries these also.

Steve Pitt

I have the #3 in there now. She has struggled with several mag releases. I think she has weak fingers. (I didn't say that though) with the standard she could not do it at all. She can do the 3 as far as pushing it anyway.

There have been several different opinions on this and some people that I really respect even have differing opinions on this. She has long skinny fingers and that may be creating more difficulty for her.

At this point I will give her some time using the Forefinger and then if it does not work I will get the Mitchell. This seems to be a very personal preference. So I will leave it up to her.

On September 11, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Fuzz said:

Backstory: The wife is coming full circle and she fell in love with my 40 S&W 1911 and wants to switch up from her PPQ and start shooting my Para 16/40 Pro Custom in the Limited Division. (Yes she has come a long way)

Anyone with any experience here, All opinions valued.

Well, congrats on finding THAT woman! Nice.

Just swap it in, tell her you found parts/labor for cheap, and it's a done deal.

It's like the woman who says she doesn't really want a bigger diamond after 20 years of marriage. Just do it.