Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-cap Mags

urnsrus

It would be nice to have some new mags that work well, that don't date from before the high cap mag ban (or that didn't have to be cut and welded to make them longer. ) I tried some of the new mags caspian was selling but they never worked as well in my guns as the old ones did. I have some mbxs for one of my STIs and if these are the same quality, i'll buy a set of them.

Edited by caspian guy

8 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

I wonder if they will sell.  It's gotta be 20 years too late by now.

If the new mags work I think you will see more caspian builds. Price up a caspian frame kit vs the metal grip and frame

Thanks for the info, I'm not a facebooker and would not have see that.

Very glad to see this, I'll be buying some for sure.  I've had excellent experiences with his mags for the STI, and have a couple Caspian open guns I like a lot.   If they they are dimensioned like the new style mags that Caspian sells then they should work in the large framed Tanfos, also (at least the current mags I own do). 

When I saw that post, I was thinking that it could mean a lot more Tanfo open guns would probably start turning up at matches. The Tanfo guns have the big draw of being a factory gun for a lower cost, but the magazine situation has always sucked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that they are labeled as 9mm.  The Caspian mags (old and new style) I have all work with 38 super or 9mm.  I wonder if they are actually specific to 9mm and won't work with 38 super, or if they just labeled them 9mm and they work with both. 

I

By the looks of them they are like the SV mags without the smooth sides which work with either .38 Super or 9mm.  The STI mags have those indents/inside ribs that cause issues with 9mm unless it has spacers installed. The smooth sided mags work with both .38 and 9mm so I assume they are marked 9mm but work with both.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone seen MBX offering these mags yet? I've been keeping an eye on their webpage, but haven't seen any mention of them yet.   I don't do facebook and am wondering if I am mssing anything.   

I didn't shoot the nationals but live close enough that I intended to make the drive and visit the MBX table to checkout and buy some mags.  Hurricane Mathew had other plans for me, though, and I couldn't make it to Frostproof.

Edited by Bamboo

I bought one of the big sticks they had at Nationals. Took it to the test bay and loaded 28 rounds 9 major. The mag inserted and dropped free empty or full and functioned perfectly. That was all the testing as I had to deal with hurricane shutters. Intend to use it at a match soon. I can tell by the way the rounds stack that it should work properly. MBX deserves credit for design excellence and making it possible for Caspians to be competitive.

Ace, thanks for the report.  Good news indeed!  Shuttering up in Minnesota is a little over kill...but I was doing the same thing!  :D  Looking forward to seeing the "Buy Me Now" link on their webpage!

Garmil,I think you will find that you will get 28 or 29 rounds in the MBX mags depending on spring condition, modification, and the personality of the mag.  I have a few old stye Jim Anglin weld-ups that hold 29 and they are tweaked to just barely fit the gauge.  I also have some of the Caspian New Style mag weld-ups and those are 28 or 29 rounds depending on how I tweaked the mag spring/follower and their actual length (some are IPSC legal).  More is better, yes...but 28 reliable beats 30 sketchy any day of the week! ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 8:37 PM, Bamboo said:

Happy to see the Caspian mags being sold on the MBX website now. 

A few are heading my way and am looking forward to trying them out!

There is no mention of Tanfo on their site.  Anyone try them on a Tanfo yet?