Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Favorite Ear Protection?

nvmichael

I like my Peltors pretty well. The seemed to have a little more noise reduction and better comfort than the pro ears I tried first. The big plus is the HS- 6's that I have are called tactical's so I can wear them to an IDPA match :D

Dave

I like regular plugs but have tried the Peltors and love them. Cabela's had them on sale awhile back for like $70. I shoulda coulda woulda, but I didn't. Could kick myself for that one. TXAG

I was looking at new earmuffs and would like to buy electronic muffs.

I would like your opinions on the good ones or the ones you own.

Thanks.

I have a set of Pro-Mag Dimension 1 from Pro Ears. I love them. I almost didn't buy them because they use four N batteries, but I've had them about 3 years and only replaced the batteries once. Plus, they come with a five year warranty. Can't beat that! Highly recommend them.

-Cuz

I've tried both the Peltors and the Dillon HP-1s, and settled on the Dillons. When I'm actually shooting, I also wear foam earplugs under the Dillons.

This isn't because of any deficiency in their effectiveness. I'm just trying to break my bad habit of listening for hits on steel. Trust your sights!

...Mark

I use soundscopes, they go inside the ear, and resemble a hearing aid, and they work great regardless of weather, even on long guns. Price $410 from your local audiologist. I know about 10 other shooters who have them and love them.

I've got Dillons electronics but have trouble with comfort (cups pressing ear against glass frames, even my cable ones). Not Dillon's fault since every muff I've tried does it to some extent after a few hours. I'm constantly removing them. My solution was a pair of custom fit in the ear plug with cords. Mine are E.A.R.Inc. I had the instant form ones by them years ago and loved them and they were about $40.00. There's no one close that "pours" them in lower Alabama so I had a set of impressons done by a local ear doc and sent them off for a set of Chameleons. These are heat curable and are suppost to last a lot longer. I also got them with filters installed (small holes that allow normal sounds but close off above 80db). Apparently these are real popular with the sporting clays croud. I've been using mine for several months now and I love them. I think they were about $120 with filters and cords attached.

I prefer the Insta mold custom plugs EAR I was lucky to find a neighbor that is an authorized dealer and she made them for me.

When I use muffs, I have Peltor tac 7 electronic. I find them much more durable that the Tac 6 muffs I had.

Peltor is a great product and they service them if necessary.

I like Peltor Tactical 7. I believe they have the one of the best NRR of the electronic muffs. One con is they are a little large for shouldering a rifle or a shotgun. The Peltor Tactical 6 would probably be better for that, but with the NRR they have you may need foam plugs with them for any serious rifle.

I never had a pair of muffs I liked. I paid like $50 or $75 for a pair of custom Emtech (not instant) earplugs. Best dough I ever spent. Do a search on Emtech here if you'd like to read me drone on about them.

I agree with Eric. Based on the reccomendations here I got fitted for a set of Emtech's and love them - I can't imagine shooting without them. I wear the plug's for the duration of the match and while shooting I throw a pair of peltor's on (non-electronic).

Zach

I dont get along with earmuffs. They gap around my glasses, they are hot in the summer and dont fit well with a hat in the winter. I cant shoot rifles without knocking them off. Maybe my head is funny shaped. Also I know myself and spending $300 on ear plugs which I will mostly likely lose or break is not gonna happen.

My shooting buddy got me to try the cheap EAR foam plugs which have a NRR of 33 (more then pretty much anything else) and so comfrotable I forget I wear them. And when I'm done they go in the garbage can because 200 of them cost like $30. I have a handfull in my range bag. And as a side effect of the higher NR, my flinch has gone away.

Like Eric W and RGS, I use custom molded plugs on the range, but double plug, using ProEars over the molded plugs when I am actually shooting or am running the timer while ROing.