Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Organizing your reloaded ammo......

glassblower

I would like to hear or see how folks are organizing their reloaded ammo. I reload several calibers and use various recipes due to different types of guns. I typically use sandwich size Tupperware or 100 round ammo boxes all with recipe labels on the outside. Some recipes have a 1000 or more rounds competition and practice ammo) Even though I dedicate shelves to a specific caliber I still end up searching aroundfor or lose track of what stock I have. I would really like to find a way to keep it more organized.

Thx

Al

In my log book each caliber has a recipe and a batch number. The batch number changes if I change the recipe. I fill gallon size ziplock bags with 200 rounds (can hold 300, but easier to manage). Outside of the bag I affix a label with the type of brass and batch number (e.g. Mixed brass, Batch 2). I put 1,800 rounds (or 9 bags) in a caliber specific ammo can. When going to a match or training I either grab couple of bags or a whole can (if training class).

Now, the above method is for my handgun ammo. For my hunting rifle rounds I keep them in labeled 50 round plastic ammo boxes. I have enough rounds for couple of more elephant hunts in Africa already loaded including practice and sighting in ammo.

Ammo cans for each caliber marked with the load on the outside. Since I use pretty much the same powders and the bullets I use don't vary much in accuracy or POI, I don't sort any further than that. For precision rifle, I use 50 round ammo ammo boxes marked with the load used.

Loaded rounds go in tupperware containers with a index card with recipe. After I case guage they go in MTM containers. I have different colors for different calibers. Then they get stacked on the shelves by area. .223 rounds for the bolt gun go in MTM and AR rounds go in ammo cans.

I like the idea of putting smaller into larger containers of like ammo and taking out the smaller when going to the range and gauged ammo into MTM boxes. That will help prevent stuff from getting mixed into different areas of storage. The problem I was having was tupperware containers getting shifted around or hidden behind other recipes. Although it does seem that storing ammo takes a lot of very strong shelf space regardless of how it is contained.

I also use metal ammo cans labeled by caliber and then boxes in each labeled with different loads. I use metal filing cabinets that I got for free from offices that went all digital. Each drawer has 4-5 ammo boxes in it, and the drawer is labeled for a caliber (or two). The kids bought me one of those battery powered label makers for Christmas and I have nearly worn it out. I used to print labels on my computer and then cut and tape them in place.

The heavy duty file cabinets will easily hold four full ammo boxes and glide in and out smoothly. Quick easy access and stores a tremendous amount of ammo. I have two of these four drawer filling cabinets nearly full of ammo.

I accept that I have an ammo addiction and am actively seeking a therapy group.

For bulk loads, they go in plastic ammo cans. I tape a card on the inside of the lid with load data. This is mainly 9, 45, and 223 that I load 500-1000 at a time. For everything else, test loads, 308, some 233, it goes in Plano 50 or 100 round boxes with data on a card written front and back so I can read it thru the lid.

OLD, original Dillon boxes, the translucent ones. I hate the current solid ones. So when I need more boxes, I go to MTM and do like kneelingatlas said - different colors, as much as possible.

This way it is much harder for my wife to stick my 9 Major into her VP9.

I load about 15k at a time and put them into 5 gallon buckets. Home Depot orange for .40, Menards green for 9, Lowes blue for 5.56. Factory stuff goes in Akro bins on a shelf I welded up from 1.5 inch 11 gage steel tubing.

I use plastic ammo boxes. I've seen a friend drop a bag of ammo on a concrete floor and had several go off. I print out labels on my computer with all the information including the month and year I loaded the ammo before I store it away.

I store all reloaded ammo in 50/100 round boxes (plastic). I use a Brother label maker to generate a label that contains all applicable load info (powder and weight, bullet type and weight, OAL), label also includes month/year it was created, as well as any addition information.

Match ammo is handled the same way, but I'll add a note to the label stating its match ammo, as well as a small circle sticker that makes it easy to identify at a glance. They sell a package of 1000 for labeling items at tag sales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by safeactionjackson

Bulk "blaster" ammo gets tossed into a .30cal ammo can with a card noting bullet, powder & charge, OAL and total in can.

Match ammo is loaded up ~100 rounds at a time, placed into MTM plastic 100ct cases for inspection with a card noting bullet, powder & charge, OAL and "match". Match ammo is loaded the week of / before a match and then training/bulk ammo once per week to keep up stock, that goes into an ammo can.