Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting open and limited

I shoot open in Steel Challenge and limited in run and gun. It's very hard for me to go between the two efficiently. After shooting open and pick up my limited gun I tend to focus on the fiber front with no attention to the rear sights. I hate to switch strictly to open because I struggle keeping up with the dot on the move. Any tips appreciated.

Ive heard of guys going with sideways mounts to get the dot lower to the bore. This could help out when transitioning back and forth.

I would say pick one for both. You wont get much better if you are constantly switching.

Ive seen some 45 degree mounts that offer the best of both world. No vision barrier from the cmore body and its lower to the bore. Not sure of where to find these, but I shot on a squad with 4 guys that had that setup.

Their only complaint was zeroing the sight.

I had to stick to limited I was not good enough to find the dot everytime.

Just takes repetition ....

I have read that it takes several thousand rounds to become comfortable with the red dot. Any truth that? I picked up a Glock 17 open gun but can't bring myself to commit to that type of time/money yet.

I had to stick to limited I was not good enough to find the dot everytime.

Just takes repetition ....

I have read that it takes several thousand rounds to become comfortable with the red dot. Any truth that? I picked up a Glock 17 open gun but can't bring myself to commit to that type of time/money yet.

Not true if you come from other divisions and already proficient or fairly good in those divs. For me, its all in the mind. If you think and believe its difficult, it will surely be. Dont be intimidated by the dot and it will be easier than imagined.

It's been fairly easy for me to switch back and forth between Limited and Open but I now only shoot LTD for 2 & 3 gun matches. (I've shot Prod, LTD and Open all this year) I run a Cheely 90° mount on my open gun and a larger green FO on my limited gun. The 90° mount does seem to help the transition between the two because the dot only sits ~1/4-1/2" above where the FO sits on my LTD gun.

I had taken a couple of years off shooting regularly and was having a hard time shooting targets at range with both eyes open at the beginning this year before I switched open. Now after shooting open for a few months, when I switch back to LTD to shoot a match, I see the rear of the pistol and rear sight as a "ghost" image and the front sight is completely in focus. (like it's supposed to be)

Like all other skills the more you do it (properly) the better you'll get at switching between. Then the 're-learning' time will reduce and you'll be able to get back to your skill level with just a small amount of re-familiarisation.

ideally if you want to go as far as you can in the sport you'll stick to one type of gun for extended periods. however, if you do it for fun then do what makes you happy. there are plenty of guys shooting multiple guns (irons and optic) in steel challenge, or action etc.

For some people having the dot lower (90 or 45 mount) makes the transition easier. Others like having a different index between the guns as that different hold reminds them they're shooting the different gun. I'm in the first school which is make both guns as close to each other as possible apart from the dot/comp etc.

if your open and ltd guns are both 2011's that will make things consistent in feel at least.

I use a 90 degree mount on my Open gun, no problems finding the dot at all even though I shoot Open maybe 5 times a year. A green F/O front sight on the Limited gun works great if you switch back and forth between divisions. I find the green F/O easier to focus on. All of my iron sighted game guns have green fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

my one buddy says "beware the man with one gun." but i like mixing it up... i had big problems picking up the dot but after turning it sideways it is rarely an issue now.

regarding green fiber, i had that on one gun and it seemed to wash out for me. red dot, red fiber optic, seems to work for me.

do you have a wide notch on your rear sight? that helps me pick up the front sight relatively quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

After bouncing back and forth through various guns in the past 3 years. I finally realized why I wasn't getting any better and thats because I was switching it around to much. I sold all my guns but 1 and that is all I use in IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and steel challenge. I have seen a huge improvement in just 6 months. Just started shooting USPSA last year and shot my first Master classifier last weekend.

After shooting open for 20+ years I decided to build a carry optics 9mm. After about 2k rounds with some changing between I found my open shooting got considerably slower. Back to open only for now. Slower was never the goal. Looks like one of my sons will buy the CO.