Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B, 1 for small, and 1 for large primers

I've had my 550B for over 10 years, loading 9mm, 40S&W, 10MM, 45ACP, 38/357, 223, and 300 whisper. I have been thinking about getting a second 550B so will not need to change priming systems. Would it be worth it get a second one, or should I think of getting the 650? I have no problem loading the volume of ammo I need with the 550B I currently have. I have also thought about getting a second hand 550B.

If you load a lot, it's a great idea.......I have 2-1050's, a 650 and a 550. The 1050's are dedicated to .45ACP on one and .9mm on the other. The 650 is set up for small primer and the 550 for large primer. I use those two presses to load for the other 11 caliber's that I shoot less of.

G

post-54197-0-41101700-1465776917_thumb.j

Edited by Slotbike

I do not have different presses for large and small primers , converting my press ( from small to large )takes my about 5 minutes , on a 550 you only have to swap the primer cup and let the primer bar in .

So i dont think it is worth the extra money , buying a second one .

Edited by Tino2212

I just did it, one 550 is set up for 9mm and the other for .45, I love it.

I have the same setup. Makes life easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just a few years ago I thought the same thing, I just had to have one 550 for small primers and one for large primers.

As luck would have it, I stopped shooting .45 ACP (large primers) and all of my reloading now is small primers (9mm and .223).

Procrastination is its own reward.

I'd go this route with case feeders. Right now I've got a 650 with case feeder set up for small primers (.223 and 9mm) and a 550 without case feeder set up for large primers (.45 and various .308 variants). I do plan to eventually get the 550 set up with a case feeder so I can crank out the .45 quicker as I load that in pretty good volume.

Edited by jkrispies

I upgraded from a 550 for additional speed on my largest volume caliber. Not long after bring my 1050 in 9mm online I came across a new/used 650, which I snagged at a decent saving. Migrated most of my 550b calibers over to the 650.... and then added another 1050.

Ironically my 550b is used for 45 colt and 454 casull... both require me to swap primer systems.... doh!

~g

glad to see I am not the only one with multiple loaders- I started on a 550 ( well actually a rock chucker, then a Hornady Pro-jector, then 550) but found changing calibers to often was harder - so bought the 650. found I ran out of one caliber ammo before getting around to all the loading in the one caliber on the machine. found two 650s for really cheap in the used market with a month of each other. I found I prefer to load the rifle caliber stuff on the 550 (as it allows me to index and do quality control checks ) and pistol rds on the 650s. Then I found a couple of 550s loose and cheap . Now I leave one 650 in 45, one in 9mm, and change one from 40 S&W to 380 to 30 Carbine as needed. The 550s are set up for 30 cal US, 303 Brit ( although with all the HXP I got that will not be a priority) 8mm Mauser and 8mm Lebel. I shoot the ammo in the MGs. Parts are common among the loaders so I do not need as many spares, and the only pain is buying the add-on stuff like bullet trays, handles, lighting and primer catch systems - once I try them I find I like them, and then need to buy several. Found a dillon SL900 cheap too- probably aught to take up clays or trap again....

I just re-organized the reloading room. this photo was taken on moving day. the Hornady 366 loaders are 12 (AA trap loads) & 20 Ga. Guess I just like machines..... there is a SDB in 38/357 in there too, got that for free from a co-worker.

loader%202.JPG

glad to see I am not the only one with multiple loaders- I started on a 550 ( well actually a rock chucker, then a Hornady Pro-jector, then 550) but found changing calibers to often was harder - so bought the 650. found I ran out of one caliber ammo before getting around to all the loading in the one caliber on the machine. found two 650s for really cheap in the used market with a month of each other. I found I prefer to load the rifle caliber stuff on the 550 (as it allows me to index and do quality control checks ) and pistol rds on the 650s. Then I found a couple of 550s loose and cheap . Now I leave one 650 in 45, one in 9mm, and change one from 40 S&W to 380 to 30 Carbine as needed. The 550s are set up for 30 cal US, 303 Brit ( although with all the HXP I got that will not be a priority) 8mm Mauser and 8mm Lebel. I shoot the ammo in the MGs. Parts are common among the loaders so I do not need as many spares, and the only pain is buying the add-on stuff like bullet trays, handles, lighting and primer catch systems - once I try them I find I like them, and then need to buy several. Found a dillon SL900 cheap too- probably aught to take up clays or trap again....

I just re-organized the reloading room. this photo was taken on moving day. the Hornady 366 loaders are 12 (AA trap loads) & 20 Ga. Guess I just like machines..... there is a SDB in 38/357 in there too, got that for free from a co-worker.

loader%202.JPG

Well....you have my 2-1050's, 650 and 550 beat! Glad that there are others out there that are worse than me, lol.....makes me look good! Awesome setup brother!

G

I would love to have a second 550. I traded into a 9mm SDB a couple of years ago and it is handy having a dedicated press. I got into that SDB at half price or so, but before I bought a new SDB a stripped 550 is close to the same price and I have everything for a 550.

That is the main reason I have pairs of the Dillon presses, I never have to mess with the priming system and always have any spare part I might need on hand.

That said the 550 is the easiest and quickest press to switch between primer sizes that Dillon makes.