Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heaviest 9mm for wife

Moltke

Without optics, comps or weights I'm looking for heavy 9mm suggestions for my wife. Right now she's okay firing my CZ Tac Sport 9mm with light loads but is there a better option? I'd like her to have her own training and competition pistol, and she's happy to trade more weight in the gun for less felt recoil. Also considering Tanfo's...

You can get a 6" 2011 stupid heavy with a steel grip, tungsten guide rod, big heavy mag well and no lightening on the slide. The question is, would it be fun to shoot. To me, shooting a 6" 2011, even a lightened 6" slide, requires a little hotter 115 / 124 grain load (~145 PF) to get the slide to cycle fast enough that I don't feel like I'm waiting an eternity. That's more energy to deal with in recoil.

The biggest (no pun intended) variable I would look at would be the size of the grip and how the pistol fits in her hand. My friend felt that a 2011 had more recoil compared to a CZ because she had a solid grip on the CZ. I've seen similar things happen for small-pawed shooters moving away from Glocks to smaller grip polymer pistols (M&P, Sig 320) because they can get a more solid purchase on the pistol.

The beauty of the SP-01 is there's enough weight in the grip to balance the dust cover AND the grips start out thin! If your wife has smaller hands, you can keep the SP-01 grip much thinner across than a Tac Sport or a 2011. Also, since the slide on a SP-01 is only working with a 4.6" barrel, you *can* use 147 grain 9mm bullets to cycle the slide plenty fast enough at 125* PF. I prefer either a 147 grain 9mm at around 135-140 PF or a 124 grain 9mm at ~130 PF but I'm worried more about tracking the sight than felt recoil. My female shooting friend that picked up a SP-01 for all the reasons I listed above loads 147 grain 9mm to 130 PF and LOVES her CZ.

Maybe I'm going about this wrong. Should the question really be -

Staying with limited minor what gun shoots the softest?

I could give her what I've got now and just add a thumb rest (because I don't have one currently).

you could stroke it to make it softer.

In regards to guns and only guns.[emoji53] What does this mean?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When you increase the stroke of the slide you increase the distance over which the spring works to slow the slide before it impacts the frame.

Another thing to consider is hand size, the SP01/CZ75 has a noticeably smaller grip that the Tactical Sport (or Stock II). And you can play around with that a bit between the thick stock rubber grips or the thin aluminum grips. So if you wife doesn't have bear paws (I don't have them either), she might enjoy the the SP01 Shadow or CZ 75 CTS LS-P.

Does the new tactical sport orange have a smaller grip? Or is that just something I imagined? Website says it weighs in at 3 pounds (aka 48 oz)

Tactical Sport Orange from what I understand had a grip reduction similar to Czechmate -- trigger undercut and grip reduction under beavertail makes it feel a lot more like SP01 Shadow than TS (my experience with Czechmate).

A female friend of mine shoots a TS 9mm. She uses 147gr bullets and Unique. I don't think she has chrono'd them, but they are stupid soft. Using my normal (not strong) grip as I would for my TS 40 on her gun, it barely moves upward when fired. You could double tap an A zone at 25 yards just by simply pulling the trigger as fast as you can.

A female friend of mine shoots a TS 9mm. She uses 147gr bullets and Unique. I don't think she has chrono'd them, but they are stupid soft. Using my normal (not strong) grip as I would for my TS 40 on her gun, it barely moves upward when fired. You could double tap an A zone at 25 yards just by simply pulling the trigger as fast as you can.

I'm calling BS on that one, I've loaded to 115 pf in my TS and 25yd "double taps" aren't happening.