Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshells for 3-gun competition

gmhicks

I have had problems with the Walmart value packs of shotshells sticking and not being ejected, Winchester being the worst. I purchased a gauge so I could check each shell and found that about 1/4 of the Federals did not fall into the guage without force and I ran into a couple that I just would not use. On recommendation I purchased some Winchester AA and they were worse than the cheaper Federals. I have been using the low recoil Fiocchi slugs without a problem until I got a box the other day that 80% would not fit in the guage. I need to find some shells that are made with some quality control. What are you using?

I use Remington gun club but Federal or Winchester, it's all the same quality stuff. Gun go bang and bb's fly out! Find something your gun likes and stick with it, dont worry too much about gauge checking your shotshells.

We shoot over 6K per year of AA's

Best cheap ammo out there, in the past 3 years we've had 1 failure , bad primer.

Consistent load, stiff hull, always go bang.

Winchester Universal on the other hand . . . . . . The only way I I would shoot them, was if they were free - then only in practice.

Did you actually run the Win AA in your gun?

They've been great in both my old semi-auto shotgun and the current M2 I run. Great shells, consistent, reliable performance.

Not yet will run a few of the worst ones tomorrow.

My FN cycles everything except the Winchester Value packs from Walmart. My IAC 87 chokes on everything except Winchester AAs. I have some brass shells I will eventually load for my 87, I just need pellets and wads.

Estate sport and competition shells have been flawless in my Versa Max.

However Winchester AA heavy game loads will not run at all in it.

Fiocci low recoil slugs work great as well

In my group there are several Versamax users, two 1301s, an 1100, an SLP and a Benelli M4. We all shoot the Remington Gun Club 1 1/8oz, 71/2, 1200fps load. It has proven to be a reliable load and we have yet to have a bad shell.

The most important factor on shotgun ammo is the crimp. If the crimp is smooth and properly formed it should run without issues. Winchester Universal is the worst I've encountered for crimps. Some of it wouldn't chamber in my over/under without being pushed into the chamber. It was fine after being run through an old Mec 650 and recrimped.

Federal Gold Medal match is a great hull. Very well formed crimps, very thick plastic, very consistent pattern with a great wad! Gold Medals can't be beat!!! They are one of the few companies that make their own hulls so the consistency lot to lot is phenomenal!

Federal Gold Medal match is a great hull. Very well formed crimps, very thick plastic, very consistent pattern with a great wad! Gold Medals can't be beat!!! They are one of the few companies that make their own hulls so the consistency lot to lot is phenomenal!

Kurt,

If you had recommended Federal paper hulled shells, I wouldn't have been surprised. :P