Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ's at nationals

rooster

Uh oh, here we go again...

Isn't the definition in the rule book?

Edit: Yep. Appendix A3 (Glossary). The gun doesn't have to hit the ground, and it's a call "even if it is trapped against part of the body or caught in midair" (p. 58 of the current rule book).

Edited by teros135

Interesting comment Jay about the Revolver shooters not DQ-ing as much just by slightly changing the start position.

For single stack you started strong hand on the door knob. Several people on my squad considered opening the door before drawing, I think only one did it in the end. The shooting area was small and there wasn't much room to engage the left target with the door open.

For the revolver match your hand wasn't on the door, everyone opened it after shooting the targets to either side.

Hungover RO's?

In my experience, a number of DQs occur early in the day. Nervous/hyped up shooters! Remember, each day is a new set of shooters. One day format.

Jay

Besides, you know ROs don't drink. :P

Edited by JayWord

At the Area 1 match a couple of weeks ago, there were a number of DQ's on the results sheet, as well as a number of 0.00 scores. I'm assuming the 0.00 were no shows which tells me that "no shows" aren't listed as DQ's at level III matches.

At the Area 1 match a couple of weeks ago, there were a number of DQ's on the results sheet, as well as a number of 0.00 scores. I'm assuming the 0.00 were no shows which tells me that "no shows" aren't listed as DQ's at level III matches.

Only DQ'S should be listed as a DQ.

No shows will show a Zero score.

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2016 at 12:06 PM, Sarge said:

Jack, you need a rule book in the bathroom like I have. I wear rule books out by reading them so much and still miss the occasional odd ball rule.

I had to DQ a guy at a major once for ejecting a snap cap in a safe area. Kind of a double whammy.

Lol Sarge, that’s exactly where one of my copies is

On 5/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, TISCHLJ said:

Sometimes, when shooters,are given lax rules at local level 1 matches bad habits manifest themselves. When those shooters get to a major match, and penalties are applied accordingly, they learn the error of their ways...this is why the USPSA rules must be applied consistently across the board at all matches...

Agreed.  

The way I look at it, it's much better to learn the hard way at a local match than a major match on the road.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, rooster said:

Was just looking at the ss match results and noticed there were about 16 DQ's. That seems to be an extraordinaly high number. Can anybody give an run down on what was going on.

had a buddy get hit with a super questionable 180 call.  We watched the video multiple times.  It clearly wasn't in violation. bummer for sure.

27 minutes ago, Jts2581 said:

had a buddy get hit with a super questionable 180 call.  We watched the video multiple times.  It clearly wasn't in violation. bummer for sure.

Super questionable or clearly wasn’t. Which is it? Video is not allowed for a reason. I have personally DQ’d a shooter for 180 and had multiple people in agreement and when somebody showed me video of the call it looked like he was nowhere near the 180!

(Clearly wasn’t) I totally agree with you saying sometimes it’s hard to tell where the 180 lone is in videos. But this particular stage, there was a barricade right in front of him that ran along with the 180.  So it was pretty easy to tell.  I think the No Video rule is something that needs to be changed in USPSA.  We use it in 3 Gun.  It’s helped me out on 2 different occasions.   Saved me a precedural on one occasion and a no shoot on another.  Obviously there has to be stipulations on where and when you can use it, but I personally think it would come in handy in certain situations. 

1 hour ago, Jts2581 said:

I think the No Video rule is something that needs to be changed in USPSA.  We use it in 3 Gun.  It’s helped me out on 2 different occasions.   Saved me a precedural on one occasion and a no shoot on another.  Obviously there has to be stipulations on where and when you can use it, but I personally think it would come in handy in certain situations. 

So it gives you a significant competitive advantage over folks who do not video or who have lesser video skills?

I know every shooter out there wilould be more than willing to video someone if they asked. Out of all the 3 gun matches I’ve been to, the video has prob only came out less than 10x. It’s more about making the right call and getting what you earned during your coarse of fire. It literally causes zero issues in 3 Gun.  I don’t know why is would be any different in uspsa. 

The obvious question and I don't feel like scrolling back to see if it was asked.

"If video can be used to exonerate a procedure, can my video of you be used to add a procedure like a foot fault or extra fault against one of my competitors?"

19 minutes ago, Jts2581 said:

I know every shooter out there wilould be more than willing to video someone if they asked.

Out of desire to not be rude I will do it if I don't have a reason I can't, the 'more than willing' train never comes near though. 

1 hour ago, Trent1k1 said:

The obvious question and I don't feel like scrolling back to see if it was asked.

"If video can be used to exonerate a procedure, can my video of you be used to add a procedure like a foot fault or extra fault against one of my competitors?"

I think if it is allowed, then it is allowed, and if it aint , it aint.  And I would be videoing everyone and giving them all procedurals hahahahaha (that was an evil laugh, if you couldn't tell).  In all seriousness, if it is about getting calls right, then you would have to allow videos from everybody and apply or remove penalties as necessary