Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading...I'm doing it wrong

watlow

Long story short I'm shooting production around some friends in higher divisions that are far more skilled than I am but constantly being told I'm reloading "wrong". I have 4 mags left hip bullets facing back. When I should apparently have bullets forward. Neither feel overly comfortable but just need some kind of direction and drills would be great too.

I prefer bullets forward. I use my index finger to touch the top bullet in the magazine. This helps me index the magazine to quickly and accurately insert it into the gun. Some folks have bullets out. It's personal preference to an extent but remember less movement equals less time. Some call it, "The economy of motion." There are some great videos on YouTube you should watch. And then practice, practice, practice. In no time, it will become second nature to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long story short I'm shooting production around some friends in higher divisions that are far more skilled than I am but constantly being told I'm reloading "wrong". I have 4 mags left hip bullets facing back. When I should apparently have bullets forward. Neither feel overly comfortable but just need some kind of direction and drills would be great too.

It's only wrong if you're going for maximum efficiency (speed) in reloading. With the bullets facing back, you either have to twist your hand around so your index finger is in the back, or you have to rotate the mag in your hand on the way to the gun, both of which are slower than having the bullets pointing forward or outward. But if you feel comfortable doing it your way, do it. After all, that's what liberty is all about. :cheers:

Bullets back sounds super uncomfortable to do. You need to rotate the wrist all the way to grab the mag, then rotate it back to insert.

I used to do bullets forward, but I've been playing with bullets out for the past four months, and I like it a lot. At least for the front three mags on the belt. I might change the back two mags to bullets forward so I don't need to rotate my wrist as much for those.

I'm also a newbie, (so take this for what it's worth!), but I started bullets out, changed to bullets forward, went back to bullets out and recently changed the ANGLE of the mags still bullets out. Now have the front 2 angled to the rear, the center straight up and the back two angled forward. The space between the mag pouches needed to be increased to get my fat paws on the mags cleanly. It seems to be easier on the wrists set up this way and cleaner getting them out.

The point being, change stuff around and do a butt load of drills to see if it feels better is faster or just more consistent.

Also yeah bullets forward is the way to go, I index the edge of my base pads on my palm, then point my index finger down the mag carrier and draw so that you are basically pointing the mag into your gun, and since you've been pointing at various things for sometime now this gets easy quick haha

Bullets forward...

Try this...

Mags on belt bullets facing forward..

Raise hands above shoulders.....palms facing forward...

just drop your left hand to the first mag in your belt...

grab the mag and raise it in front of your eyes...

If you use your index finger on the front of the mag it is ready to go...

If you did this bullets facing back... then you have you flip or rotate the mag...

It is all about finding the simplest, repeatable way to grab them out of your belt.. and stuff them into the bottom of your gun...

Remember Slow is smooth .. and smooth is fast !

I'm rookie but were learning tac shooting with GROM operator. Bullets in front, taking mag with little and ring fingers and palm to have free others fingers free to realase empty mags. This guy does it as quick as I cant imagine before I saw it on my eyes.

Wysłane z mojego ASUS_Z00AD przy użyciu Tapatalka

I'm rookie but were learning tac shooting with GROM operator. Bullets in front, taking mag with little and ring fingers and palm to have free others fingers free to realase empty mags. This guy does it as quick as I cant imagine before I saw it on my eyes.

A tactical reload where you retain the magazine.

Grab a full magazine so that it leaves the index finger free, eject the old magazine onto the index finger, push in the full one.

The part that takes time is really when you put away the old magazine.

You mean drop the old magazine because your hands are slick with sweat and the blood of your enemies. Thereby requiring you to bellow "RETRIEVING MAG!" to your fellow Operators amidst the firefight, before you scoop it up while continuing to scan & assess.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I did not go, but a recent all rifle match wanted you to carry a bucket with your loaded mags in it and shoot holding the bucket. I was already tired from the day before. Back on point I'm with KA, index finger on lead side of bullet and guide it in.

Can't imagine bullets facing back can be faster. I'm thinking if every top shooter positions their bullets and mags about the same way, that is where you should probably start! Obviously everyone has a natural way your hand will fall from the gun to the mag, so it's important to slightly tweak the mag pouch position to fit your tendency. I'm not opposed to thinking outside the box, and i'm sure with enough time/energy you can reload nearly as fast as a standard reload, but do you really want to spend all that time to still be slower? I think that practice time could be better spent.

Efficiency... Economy of Motion... Are the name of the game. This in a sport of based on time. I would say bullets forward always; However, if you happen to be one of the freaks of nature that is blessed freakish skill to load bullets out go with it. However, if you are getting beat consistently, and the better shooters are offering advice... Listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers. I prefer bullets out because it's easiest for me. I use Ghost pouches and they are simple to set up for bullets out and can be angled any way I like.