Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on a reloading press

rootacres

I don't agree with the [do it once do it right] thing here. You said you are new to reloading. You need to understand, and be able to "feel" the different stages of reloading. If I were you I'd start with a rock chucker master reloading kit, a 4 die set of 9mm carbide dies and a shell holder. Load for at least a year on that, then go progressive. Then, I'd go with either a Dillon 550 or 650.

You're always going to need your rock chucker in the future. I use mind for forming one caliber from another, trimming rifle cases with my motorized case trimmer, sizing rifle cases that were shot in a full auto gun, and loading calibers that I won't load often enough to justify the cost of the Dillon set up for.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had great success with my Hornady Lock 'n Load. This is my first and only press, despite being a progressive. I watched several hours of instructional videos before making the purchase and loading my first rounds. There were some things I had to adjust to get the press dialed in, but now I just load components and crank out rounds. I haven't had to mess with anything at all after the initial setup.

I use a crush washer on the shellplate, so I don't have issues with the shellplate wobbling. Smoothed out the contact surfaces on the primer shuttle and put a shim under the primer ram to get good primer seating. I'd say those were the biggest "fixes" I had to make.

The selling points for the Hornady for me were ease of changing calibers (though I only load 9mm) and lower cost. A Dillon would've been great, but I only load about 5000 rounds a year, so it was hard for me to justify the higher expense.

I was originally gifted an old Dillon 450 and got started loading 45. It wasn't bad for my experience but I didn't load much or shoot much at the time. I got hooked on USPSA and made the jump to a 650.... Oh man. HUGE improvement. 650 is a great press. I now have 2, both with case feeders (a must-have addition). I have no doubt that a 1050 would be awesome, and an automated 1050 would be outrageously great. But those options are a lot more money. For what I've spent I'm very satisfied, and like almost everyone I've had good experiences with Dillon CS when needed.

I would absolutely recommend the Dillon 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The learning curve is not that bad unless you're special ed or something.

thats what I started on. Pretty simple. The only problem I had is myself over thinking it. Just set up and go. No need in checking everything a thousand times.

I have always loaded on the rcbs pro 2000, I really like it and am completely satisfied. Like all presses, you will learn to work the kinks out. I added the auto index kit to mine, and have some bullet feeder tubes that really make loading pistol a breeze.

I started on a Dillon 550 which worked well. Now I have a 650 and I absolutely love it. If you're serious about getting into reloading and love the hobby, then I think the 650 is the way to go. If it is something you want to only make shooting cheaper, and dont want to have to tinker with it much, I'd say the 550 is prolly a better choice.

ummm

pistol costs ... a grand?

ammo for a year... for how many years?

press... about the same as a pistol?

If you sell your Dillon you are likely to get 3/4 back if you want to sell it quick.

the capital tied up can be a problem.

but it is not expensive if you plan to sell it.

I crabbed my refund money and got a 650...

ummmm.

I set it up and checked it and adjusted dies.

and then filled it with powder and primers.

after checking and watching the first 5 rounds...

I did not adjust nor tinker for the next 100 rounds

even though I checked about half the rounds.

I went through my on hand bullets and brass...

I did about 400 rounds an hour because I hand filled the primer tubes

It is hard to believe thisif you have run and tinkered on other presses.

I know.

the press is quite trouble free.

miranda

The learning curve is not that bad unless you're special ed or something.

If I take a screw out of anything, I usually can't get it back in ... :blush:

Is that "Special Ed, or something"?

Yes

I was a pretty experienced reloader when I stepped into Dillon stuff after I got my first real job. Struggled with lee before that on college student money.

I spent a lot of time reading which to get on Brian's guide. I eventually decided on a 550b for cost of caliber changes and the recommendations of Brian. I wanted to do a bunch of different calipers. It served me well, and I still have it, and use it. I leave it set up with LG primer system and do .45 colt, .308 DMR ammo, and an occasional .45 ACP. The 550 is WAY easier for load development if you are messing with different variables, at least to me, and you can be running a completely different caliber in a few minutes.

BUT, if you are talking about larger volumes of pistol ammo, the 650 is the way to go unless you are dedicated to a single caliber and have the cash for a 1050. I added a 650 to my bench a few years ago, and it is awesome. I'm a lot faster on it with the case feeder setup, and it's hassle free. It's a bit more finicky when setting up, and caliber changes are a good deal slower, but when you're cranking, it goes really fast. The 550 was never really fast enough for bulk ammo for my taste.

Edited by SPQR476

All I have ever used is a 550 and I think it is a great machine. Not hard to figure out, easy to adjust and does pretty much everything. With that said, I do wish I had a 650 simply due to lack of time i have to reloading. I used to have more time to reload...not anymore and saving time would be great!

I have been running a lnl for about 5 years. I bought it because I got a 1000 free bullets with it at the time and I was short on cash, but honestly I wish I would of just bit the bullet and got a 650. If my lnl is clean and adjusted correct I love it, but it seams that every time I start to reload I have to tinker with it to get it going smooth. I added a case feeder thinking it will speed up the process and don't get me wrong it does but it also need constant tinkering also. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a 1050 since all I am loading is 9mm at this point. I am trying to decide if I keep the lnl or sell and get a 650, I really just don't want to take the hit for all I have invested in the lnl. I wish I would of drank the koolaid and purchased that big bad mf a long time ago, that 1050 is the cream of the crop and is a lot easier on my shoulder when it comes to lots of reloading. Good luck and I am sure you will come to the right choice.

I just bought a Dillon 650 and wish I would have got one along time ago. I load 9mm mostly but bought the caliber conversion for .223. Last night I loaded 1500 9mm and switched the press to .223. Pull the 9mm tool head and put the .223 tool head in and change shell plate and the case feeder and your ready to go. I was supprised how fast it changed over after hearing all the talk about the time it takes to change a 650 over. If I didn't have to set my dies up for the first time I could have changed the press from 9 to 223 in 5mins 10 tops. I love this press if you go 650 you won't be sorry.

Its best to have complete toolheads with dies & powder measure already set up for 650 conversions. I wouldn't change mine very often if I had to re-adjust the dies every time. I recently added the low mass ball bearing and shortened the spring to fix the shellplate throwing powder, and the camming rod with the little wheel on the end. Press is smooth as silk. Spent primer catch bottle makes it very clean. Makes me WANT to load on it.

Thank you to everyone for all of the input. This topic definitely received a larger response than I had thought it would. For what I intended to use the press for and the amount of shooting that I plan on doing I landed on the Dillon 550 B. It should arrive in the mail tomorrow and then the real fun begins.

Thanks again

I have the LNL AP and it's just an okay press, i have to tinker with it pretty regularly mostly with the priming system. I thought I would like it for the fast changeovers but I only load 9mm and .223 for Multigun. All precision rifle gets loaded on the rock chucker and I still have to FL size my 223 brass on my rock chucker. I was disappointed that the case feeders are finicky and require constant tuning. To do it over again I would save a little longer and get the 650.

I have an LNL, and I'm in the same boat as most everyone else in this thread. It has some cool features like the die bushings, but I can't get through 100 rounds without something screwing up. I had a square deal b before, and loading was much faster on it. I'm about ready to go back to blue (650 this time).

Get a Lee Loadmaster in 9mm if you want a good 5 station press for around $250 and it comes with the dies which are good quality. I have loaded thousands of rounds on mine and you can do 500 an hour easily. One caveat is that they don't recommend Federal primers so if you are going to use those then choose another press.