Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time slide crack

andersonj55126

Unfortunately I found a crack in my STI slide after my last practice. :surprise:

I am going to contact STI about warrenty but is there anything interesting about the crack location that you guys notice. I have never had a cracked slide before nor researched them.

no shock buff, 9 major, 8 lb spring and 17 lb main spring

post-40280-0-02852400-1461164556_thumb.j

Edited by andersonj55126

That's one of about 3 places I have had them crack over the years. The other spots I have seen are at the back of the ejection port near the square corner on the same side as yours. The othe spot I have seen is on the other side at the front of the ejection port where it is thin (top to bottom)

Shock buff is a good idea. I run them in my guns and have yet to have a slide crack (Knock on wood). I like the polymer ones from Wilson combat vs the aluminum since the poly absorbs the shock much better.

The cracks at that location happen because the slide is flat topped. A little flat top is ok, but take to much off and then remove metal from the sides and you create the birth place of a crack.

I learned the hard way and so did my smith. I would not waste my time contacting STI. You send them the slide and they will probably give you the same answer as I did.

Just get a new slide and move on.

When I cracked one my builder said STI is fairly good about replacing them if they are not too radically milled or too light. It didn't cost me anything so I'm assuming it didn't cost him either.

Whether they help out or not it's certainly worth asking about.

So my Trubore cracked in the same place, and STI asked me to send it back and they paid for that, and they had to custom machine a slide becuase the pistol was 15+ years old and they had to take measurements of the fram and built an entire new upper for the pistol, it was just like getting a new gun.

Unfortunately I found a crack in my STI slide after my last practice. :surprise:

I am going to contact STI about warrenty but is there anything interesting about the crack location that you guys notice. I have never had a cracked slide before nor researched them.

no shock buff, 9 major, 8 lb spring and 17 lb main spring

My slide was 10.9oz

STI said that just needs to over 10oz and no unnatural wear.

Yep. About 3-4 months. I sent my Trubor in for slide replacement right after thanks giving and got it back early April. They were very communicative through the process. They paid for shipping both ways, too.

Assuming that someone didn't notice the crack and continued to shoot, what would/could happen? Slide fall apart or a blow apart of some sort?

Back half of slide into your face.