Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does one clean newly reloaded rounds?

IGOTGLOCKED

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be no issue. That blue coming off is more concerned to me. Not powder coating for sure. Some other coating. Nothing in the above pictures seems to support case lube issues, just poor coating. And why waste time lubing straight wall cases anyhow.

Is tumbling coated Bullets fine after reloading ? No issues ?

Some people claim it changes the characteristics of the powder by crushing it up a bit. But personally I haven't noticed any difference through a chrono...

Should be no issue. That blue coming off is more concerned to me. Not powder coating for sure. Some other coating. Nothing in the above pictures seems to support case lube issues, just poor coating. And why waste time lubing straight wall cases anyhow.

Saves stress on press

Saves stress on arm and shoulder

Produces more consistent oal/PF

Many of the gang here reload a thousand or more at a sitting. If you only plink or shoot an occasional match , lubing a few hundred cases probably isn't a big deal. But reloading several thousand every few months or a year and you really come to appreciate the benefits of lube.

BUT, maybe you do shoot that much and still see no reason to lube. That's fine too. I THINK I know at least one other guy who thinks the same way. Maybe....

I dont bother cleaning the OneShot off my 9mm or 45 when I load. It only takes just a small amount, so if you are getting alot of residual lube on your cases, use less lube. I lay my cases in an old cake pan, a single pass with spray, shake and dry. Once you get some lube built up in the sizing die, thats all you need.

I dont lube rifle cases with OneShot, I use lanolin, and they get tumbled post sizing and trimming.

I dont bother cleaning the OneShot off my 9mm or 45 when I load. It only takes just a small amount, so if you are getting alot of residual lube on your cases, use less lube. I lay my cases in an old cake pan, a single pass with spray, shake and dry. Once you get some lube built up in the sizing die, thats all you need.

I dont lube rifle cases with OneShot, I use lanolin, and they get tumbled post sizing and trimming.

Agreed. But, as much as I loved OS, I switched to home made lanolin based lube because it works so much better. The only problem with it is the amount of residue left on loaded rounds. And it doesn't take much, so very little is used.

Agreed. But, as much as I loved OS, I switched to home made lanolin based lube because it works so much better. The only problem with it is the amount of residue left on loaded rounds. And it doesn't take much, so very little is used.

The home made lube works great, but IMHO needs to be tumbled off. Not a big deal, and caused no ill effects that I could see. I've switched back to coated and didn't like that the tumbling started to wear the coating, so I've switched back to one shot. In my experience one shot doesn't need to be tumbled off. If leaves a little discoloration, but they aren't sticky.

I dont clean my rounds after loading, am I alone here? I case gage and then pop them into containers. I will sometimes shake them around in an old t-shirt or towel if I load a bullet with no primer and powder flakes get all over the place. Other than a wipe down I dont clean loaded rounds.

I dont clean my rounds after loading, am I alone here? I case gage and then pop them into containers. I will sometimes shake them around in an old t-shirt or towel if I load a bullet with no primer and powder flakes get all over the place. Other than a wipe down I dont clean loaded rounds.

No sir. I'm in the load 'em, bag 'em, and tag 'em camp. Seems like just another step that I don't need to take. I don't lube them prior to loading either; they are normally pretty slick coming out of the walnut media tumbler.

I did a test years ago that showed that very heavy case contamination with lube could affect round performance, but needed to be basically a soaking of the case interior.

These days I use silicone spray. I have gotten into the habit of dumping the newly made ammo into a towel a couple hundred at a time. A quick rubbing takes off much of the silicone, leaving enough to keep the rounds fairly slick but not so slick that they are hard to handle or attract grit.

Are you tumbling off the lanolin before you load? My issue with lanolin is that is doesnt dry, so you will get powder sticking to it. Thats the good thing about OneShot, can just load, and have no problems. I love lanolin, but only for for sizing rifle.

If you put the lanolin based lube just on the outside of the case where its needed, how does powder get stuck to it?

True, but I prefer quick and easy or down and dirty fast spary and shake. OneShot allows you to do that with a bunch of screwing around. To each their own, as long as you are happy with it

If you put the lanolin based lube just on the outside of the case where its needed, how does powder get stuck to it?

True, but I prefer quick and easy or down and dirty fast spary and shake. OneShot allows you to do that with a bunch of screwing around. To each their own, as long as you are happy with it

If you spritz some of the lanolin into a ziplock, add cases and shake it all stays on the outside. Fast and easy. Once I started doing that powder sticking went away.

One shot gets sprayed right on the cases.

Lube kills the shine - reason enough to tumble after loading... at least to me. On match ammo I then spend time with an exacto blade, puling the media out of the JHP cavity, but it is worth it.

Handling beautiful shiny ammo has always been a part of this sport's enjoyment for me.

Edited by Foxbat

Lube kills the shine - reason enough to tumble after loading... at least to me. On match ammo I then spend time with an exacto blade, puling the media out of the JHP cavity, but it is worth it.

Compressed air is your friend.

Tumble pickup brass for 30 mins.

Lube cases with one shot.

Run them through a 650 and turn them back into ammo.

Scrub them clean with a brisk journey back through the magzine and chamber of my gun.

Pick them up out of the dirt.

Repeat.

Edited by MemphisMechanic