Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 - Spent primers all over the place

The spent primers jump out to every place but the cup. Floor, the case tray (which causes its own issues if one gets in a case), the finished round tray etc. etc.. It is even more of a pain when it gets on the track preventing the primer holder coming back. This is BEFORE it gets into the chute, in other words the primers are going everywhere but into the chute.

Doing a search I see a lot of mentions of this problem, but they were related to the chute not releasing into the spent primer cup properly. The machine is new, and this started occurring couple of hundred rounds into loading brass that still had primers.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Edit:

The following item would not work ( http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1346-550) as it replaces the cup and still assumes the Dillon chute working.

Edited by tanks

I have had a similar issue happen to me, the primer chute was opening and closing like it should, but primer were going all over the place too. I was using RCBS dies, so I figured out the decapping pin was my issue. I played around with the length first and then changed the tip of the pin to look like a spitzer bullet tip (shaped and polished) and my problems stopped. I have also on my factory Dillon dies done the same adjustment and it help a lot too. I also build some "wings" out of cardboard that I hot glued on the side of the primer chute when I load 44 magnum. That one caliber and the factory Dillon dies make me nuts!

The use of a piece of wire instead of the cotter pin has reduced the spent primers flying around drastically. Just once in a while one finds its way on to the floor, and I have not figured out why. However, changing from the cotter pin to a simple piece of wire was a big improvement.

I had the same issues and found it was the primer chute sticking in the open position and not closing to catch the primer each time to deliver it to the cup. I replaced the cotter pin with a piece of paper clip and then stuck a small round magnet on the moving part of the chute (the back side) and that provided enough weigh to make sure it closes every time to catch the spent primer.

Edited by Intel6

I have fixed the chute and polished the pin but at least 1 out of 100 primers go flying. I think this maybe the brass and how the primer was installed originally.

Heh, I have 100 out of 100 flying at the moment. So, 1 out of a hundred would be an improvement. ;)

If the spent primer is not making it into the catcher and is just flying at the moment of getting de-primed it's the de-priming pin.

The de-priming pin wants some love also. The tip will get pointed or deformed from use.

As soon as one fly's on mine I grab a small fine file (ignition file from the days of points under the distributor cap) and re-file the tip flat and then file the shaft part at the tip so it is smooth. Easy on the pressure so you don't bend the pin.

If you look at a new one you'll see it's flat. If you have a new one to look at and don't want to file install the new one.

Hope this helps.

I had the same issues and found it was the primer chute sticking in the open position and not closing to catch the primer each time to deliver it to the cup. I replaced the cotter pin with a piece of paper clip and then stuck a small round magnet on the moving part of the chute (the back side) and that provided enough weigh to make sure it closes every time to catch the spent primer.

I use the magnet trick on my 550. Works like a charm!

I tried the paper clip method and it helped a little bit. But primers still all over the place. Upgraded to a 650 problem eliminated much better spent primer capture system

Just go to eBay and buy the tube and holder jar, while your at it pick up the one for new primers. Best money I ever spent on the press.

550 doesn't have a place where new primers collect like the 650 does.

If the spent primer is not making it into the catcher and is just flying at the moment of getting de-primed it's the de-priming pin.

The de-priming pin wants some love also. The tip will get pointed or deformed from use.

As soon as one fly's on mine I grab a small fine file (ignition file from the days of points under the distributor cap) and re-file the tip flat and then file the shaft part at the tip so it is smooth. Easy on the pressure so you don't bend the pin.

If you look at a new one you'll see it's flat. If you have a new one to look at and don't want to file install the new one.

^^ this helped me a lot. I took my depriming pin out and beveled slightly on the bench grinder, and went from a 20% or more primers bouncing out to more like 2-3%. I can pick up 2 or 3 every 100.

I replaced the cotter pin with a stainless 4-40 screw and nylon locking nut, purchased and installed the Bob Chute as pictured above and stuck a small round magnet on the moving part of the Dillon primer chute. That was 3 years ago and I have not seen a primer on the floor since. All the old primers go down the clear rubber tube into a plastic coffee can. Works just like Roscoe for me.

OK. Further investigation revealed that the chute was not opening at all and getting stuck in the closed position. I followed one of the suggestions and put a magnet on the chute which made it open every time I lowered the lever. However, after a while the magnet would move and then I'd have to reposition it to make it work again.

I will buy some super glue tomorrow and permanently affix the magnet (I guess any kind of weight would do in reality) so the chute would be top heavy enough to open every time I lower the lever. I m surprised it does not come from the factory that way.

OK. Further investigation revealed that the chute was not opening at all and getting stuck in the closed position. I followed one of the suggestions and put a magnet on the chute which made it open every time I lowered the lever. However, after a while the magnet would move and then I'd have to reposition it to make it work again.

I will buy some super glue tomorrow and permanently affix the magnet (I guess any kind of weight would do in reality) so the chute would be top heavy enough to open every time I lower the lever. I m surprised it does not come from the factory that way.

If the chute is sticking, make sure you replace the hinge pin with a piece of paperclip or safety pin or one of the other fine suggestions given here. It should move freely, with or without a weight.

OK. Went to replace the hinge pin with a straight paper clip piece after taking off the magnet. It looks like it is loose enough now to open freely without a weight. Live and learn. If it starts happening again, now I know what to do. :)

Edit: Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

Edited by tanks