Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 - Spent primers all over the place

Just an observation:

I have a 550. It's totally stock. When doing 9mm, small primers, I get 5% that miss the cup. I was loading large primer 45ACP the other day for 300 rounds and only had 1 miss the cup. I'm wondering if the small problem is their size/mass when they get decapped?

• 4 weeks later...

5b7e32ace5898050ae827fad9cd200a0.jpg

I said screw it and just milled the main shaft so the primers just fall out instead of jamming up the primer slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by B_Seehawer

• 3 months later...

Its interesting reading all these posts and this last picture may resolve my issue. First I just finally installed the case feeder and love it.So the same thing that was happening without the feeder is happening with it. It's not the chute door getting stuck open its the primer when it falls hits rite on the left edge of the chute so some of them bounce out.. Without  the case feeder the chute closed rides in 2 groves in the casting that attaches to the shell plate platform. On the case feeder system the chute (when it closes) is about 3/8" short of hitting the case feeder attachment. What Ganderman did by bending the lips of the chute out may help. I plan on modifying my chute with a partial aluminum collar extending it out 1/4". I hope the dam thing works. If i could just get the primers to drop more in the center, Or I maybe  will try some rubber gasket material on the inside of the chute.May also mess with the de-capping pin.

• 1 year later...

1.  Spread out the ‘lips’ of the ‘clamshell’ 16th of an inch out on each side 

2.  Used a safety pin and made the bends to lock it in just a little wider than the clamshell so it moves freely side by side.

3.  Went to Northern Tool and purchased neodymium magnets package of two to provide counterweight to the clamshell and installed one on each 550.

4. Work the press handle smoothly with a half to one second pause on the upstroke.  (more for the powder measure than the primers, but it helps the primers fall from the pin.)

So far it is working.