Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To use my Gopro or not

Yibomb

I have noticed a lot of shooters using some sort of action camera while shooting their match. I have a GoPro and was wondering if I should try to get footage of my stage runs at club/uspsa matches. I have only done four matches and didn't want to have anything taking my focus off shooting.

I always have the GoPro in my range bag.

Having someone get good 3rd person video is definitely the most helpful. It's a little bit of a PIA to ask others to do it for you all the time and I frequently don't bother (even tho I should). POV video is not totally worthless tho.. I find it lets me confirm if I'm wasting time breaking my first shots on target or transitioning. As well as allowing me to see where I could possibly be more efficient in my weapon manipulations. All in all any video is better than none to review later and identify your issues, but 3rd person is best all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do both. I run the GoPro and have someone video. Link in my signature show my last match from GoPro and 3rd person. It's amazing what you can see from to the other. They are great for learning about what you are doing in the stage. I say run both!

I use the head mount. It works well.

I do both. It's amazing what you can see from to the other.

+1. Not sure if it was Firefight, but someone recently sent in a video of him shooting,

with two cameras side by side (one on his head, one held by his buddy). :surprise:

That was really fascinating to view the COF shot from two different angles -

Very Educational, to say the least. :cheers:

Seems like most 3rd person vids I see the RO obscures the shooter half the vid, or the shooter's feer are out of frame, ect. If it's just for my personal reference I prefer the 1st person pov. And then I don't have to ask anyone to do anything for me.

I wear my GoPro on my right ear muff.

Where I really do like 3rd person video analysis is of my dry fire. That's where it really shows me what I'm doing wrong, or maybe even right.

I still like my Pivothead glasses for first person POV.

I might spring for a GoPro one of these days for when I am practicing at the range.

IMO, the worst thing you can do is have that fisheye mode cranked way up with the GoPro. The only thing that makes me click away faster is music dubbed in. <insert puking emoticon here>

Edited by Chills1994

If you decide to use your GoPro while shooting, do all of us a favor and turn it on before Make Ready. Bigger matches tend to go long with every shooter screwing with their camera for an extra 30 seconds at Make Ready. It adds up with 100+ shooters per day to a bunch of standing around time for everyone else.

If you decide to use your GoPro while shooting, do all of us a favor and turn it on before Make Ready. Bigger matches tend to go long with every shooter screwing with their camera for an extra 30 seconds at Make Ready. It adds up with 100+ shooters per day to a bunch of standing around time for everyone else.

Set the GoPro up on 1 button mode. Save battery and save time. Also like with everything in this sport practice and know how your equipment works. Make sure you know how to work the camera. May seem dumb but other than wasting time, last thing you want to you is mess around with the camera before you shoot and get frustrated.

With having someone film you, true the RO can get in the way, but you can still see things you may have never seen with POV only.

only on the newer hero4 cameras can you change from a W wide field of view to a M medium in HD. which exact gopro do you have? also, depending which editing program you use, you can remove "fish eye" effect from your video in post processing.

It is taking me some time to remember to turn on my head cam and not have it interfere with my shooting. I'm finding it useful in developing my self awareness as a shooter. Some things I see myself doing better than I thought I did them, other things a bit worse.

• 4 weeks later...

started using my GOPRO at a steel match last Sunday and then again at a Tuesday action match. Had one misshap and turned my gopro to camera mode on the 2nd stage of the steel match. Also found out I am now classified as a C class shooter in CARRY OPTICS, 55%.

As an open shooter who double plugs and has a hat camera, I have a lot of stuff to worry about at make ready. So I have started turning my dot on and getting my muffs on and comfortable during the run before me. Then I only have to load the gun and adjust the dot brightness, hit the camera button and go. Mine is set up for one touch.

A company in California is set to produce a drone that follows whoever has the watch that comes with it. The drone has a camera built in. It's originally designed for adventure type users, but with the battery life, it seems like a good fit for recording someone shooting a match. https://www.lily.camera/ I'm not affiliated with this company, I just follow technology so I found this interesting.

Yeah I just used my GOPRO on a head mount for a 7 stage match and definitely going to double plug and take it off in between shooting next time. Here some footage. I zeroed the swinger but about half of the 99 shooters zeroed it too. Last stage I had some miscues with slide locks. Thought they were misfires sense I try not to end in slide lock. Also loading my last mag from my rear pocket was awesome. So awesome I bought my 5th and final mag pouch after the match.

Maybe when I get to B class I will start asking people to film me but I would rather not worry about extra things before I shoot right now. I have a hard enough time trying to remember grip techniques and stage plans while shooting. I dry fire in front of a mirror and that has helped me tons with my draw(left hand was doing nothing at the start now it goes up to my chest). Just want something to look over my matches. After the match is over, if I dont film it, I dont remember much. I have a hard time pin pointing what I did good or bad, checking where I had a malfunctions. I have been having problems with my feed lips getting damaged so having footage of what mag I had problems on helped me out. Having POV is a lot better than nothing. Sorta wish I had started filming earlier so I could compare.

I finally got around to youtube a gopro tips video so I can now edit footage properly.

Edited by Yibomb