Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aging Eyes

Ghorsley

I wear glasses and see what I need to out to about 15 yds. When I go 20 to 25 the target is blurry. At all distances seeing the front sight is no problem. Any suggestions? I even tried to explain this to an eye doctor. He didn't get that I needed correction that would keep my front sight clear at any distance and at the same time allow me to clearly see the A zone at 25 yards. Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any way to keep the sights sharp, and

a 25 yard target sharp at the same time, once we reach a certain age - I

may be wrong.

I compromised on sharp sights, and somewhat blurry target (compromise),

until I started shooting OPEN (WOW, that red dot cures all my 71 year old

problems - well, the eye problems anyway). :cheers:

I put on my granddaughters glasses, I'm 65 she's 20. About the same RX I had when I was her age. With no bifocals and weaker prescription, I might wear her glasses. The front sight is clear, 30 feet out only slightly blurry. The only question is purple or lime green?

I'm 58 and wear progressive lenses. I wear shooting glasses where the dominant eye has the correction to put the front sight in focus and the other eye is set at distance. Then I do most of my shooting with both eyes open. I think TGO won World Shoot in Single Stack and Single Stack Senior in the same year with a set up like this.

I have played with different focuses with contacts, but I don't think my brain will accept it. Tried a closer focus with my dominant eye and more distance with my other, but I end up with both eyes out of focus and a headache after a while. Tried stick on reader lenses but the area was too small and I wasted time moving my head looking for the right position. My conclusion is... Getting old sucks and I have learned to live with it and now I compete against myself. Not ready to go open. That is for old people and I cannot convince myself I am there yet. I can claim senior, but I already knew that. I am 58, but I will be in my prime next year.

Paul : -)#

My vision forced me into open division 4 years ago. Now I enjoy shooting again!

I suppose carry optics is a real alternative now but, I truly enjoy open . . . and all those bullets in the bottom of my gun :D

I wear glasses and see what I need to out to about 15 yds. When I go 20 to 25 the target is blurry. At all distances seeing the front sight is no problem. Any suggestions? I even tried to explain this to an eye doctor. He didn't get that I needed correction that would keep my front sight clear at any distance and at the same time allow me to clearly see the A zone at 25 yards. Thanks

Been there, lived that. The "solution" is to have different scrips in each lense. Distance lense for the left eye and sight distance lense for the right eye.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any way to keep the sights sharp, and

a 25 yard target sharp at the same time, once we reach a certain age - I

may be wrong.

The one trick that can get close to that is the Merritt sighter device which is a peep hole attachment for your glasses. It does sharpen up both the sight image and target image. Not perfect, but gets it a lot closer to focus.

http://www.gunblast.com/MeritOptical.htm

Edited by bountyhunter

I wear contacts and prescription shooting glasses. I found a +1:00 for my dominate eye gives me a clear sight picture, and a +:50 on my non-dominate eye helps me still see out to 25yds clearly. I am fortunate that my optometrist allows me to bring my handgun in on my check ups in case we have to make an adjustment. You can easily try this with some cheap readers.

For many years I've had my shooting glasses set up to allow a sharp sight picture with my right eye (right handed) and my normal distance lens in left eye. Works for many people but not everyone as some just can't adjust to the differing lens strengths.

I'm normally near sighted and didn't like bifocals so just take my glasses off if I am going to read or work on something that requires close, sharp vision. Also I don't have to lug around a second set of glasses.

The solution for me was Carry Optics. Or you could install a laser and not use the sights at all. But you used the term "A zone" and lasers aren't compatible with that.

When I shoot bullseye using iron sights the Merit Optical Device works, but it's not for action pistol.

Edited by BrianKr

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot with "computer glasses" I had made for all the screen timem they are readers that focus out to 36". Normal glasses (bifocals) I can't even tell there is a front sight. Sux being old and blind!

I found an old pair of glasses that were quite a bit weaker than my current prescription. They allowed me to see the sight much clearer, though the targets were a bit fuzzy. I had my optometrist make me some contacts in that old prescription, works great.

Skip

i'm doing the dominant eye prescrip for the front sight, infinity for the non dominant eye. Had trouble getting used to this until I tried changing glasses when I got in the car for the 20 minute drive to the range. It worked. I guess it gave my eyes more time to adjust. I'm 70. I've got an open gun waiting in the safe....a carry optic too.

I also find that lighting will affect your focus.

The less light I have (indoor matches) the harder it is to get a front sight focus.

Bright sun shinny day outdoors, very easy to get front sight focus.

Yup light sure will affect things. Our eyes work like a camera lens. The brighter the light the smaller the pupil. Anyone into photography knows that the smaller the fstop the more depth of field. That is, the more "in focus" things are.

I knew that intuitively many years ago, but my eye Dr back then was also a shooter and he made it a point to make sure I knew that. I would go so far, understand that this was many years ago when I was shooting bullseye, as to take a tiny quantity of codeine to pinpoint my pupils on match day for an overcast day. Bright, sunny days didn't require it.

Something else you might want to consider is the double D or occupational lens. In this lens you have a conventional d shaped bifocal with your reading correction. About 14 mm above that is an inverted d with the exact correction needed to see your front sight and the rest of the lens is your distance correction. I understand that airline pilots use these lenses to see their overhead instruments and I know that some painters and appliance repairmen use them. I've used them since the 80's and wouldn't want to be without them. I have several out of date lenses lying around and would be glad to send one to anyone who might like to see it (at least as long as they last).