Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aging Eyes

Ghorsley

When it came time for me to have my cataracts done, I asked my doctor to put a lens in my dominant eye that would focus on the front sight and in my non dominant eye to focus on the target. Voila!

Reading is not a problem. I just use 150 power readers from the Dollar Store.

Lobonca

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wear glasses and see what I need to out to about 15 yds. When I go 20 to 25 the target is blurry. At all distances seeing the front sight is no problem. Any suggestions? I even tried to explain this to an eye doctor. He didn't get that I needed correction that would keep my front sight clear at any distance and at the same time allow me to clearly see the A zone at 25 yards. Thanks

When you see the blurry target, centering your front sight on it should result in an A zone hit. Even when my eyes were younger I never had the ability to see both a front sight focus snd target focus at distance with iron sights. As far as I know the only way to achive what your asking is with an optic.

Awhile back my eye dr had me try mono vision and I couldn't adapt. But it's getting harder to see the front sight. For grins I shot a few rounds using my readers (+1.5), and while the target was fuzzy I shot better with a sharp front sight.

Has anyone tried full lens reader safety glasses? For the price I'd like to try these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KSJQC8W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7qid=1462048355&sr=8-7π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=full+reader+safety+glasses&dpPl=1&dpID=31sIHB9KiwL&ref=plSrch

If it works I'd drop the coin for lenses that fit my shooting eye pro. I'm just thinking it might be a cheap way to try it.

I am near-sighted. I tried Rx inserts in my shooting glasses, and even the mixed distance and closeup focused lens idea. After a year of that, one day I said "Screw it" and shot with regular shooting glasses. Depending on light level and gun, the front sight may be a touch out of focus, but generally sharp. The targets are blurred. Finally, I could shoot with both eyes open, and more accuracy. An 8" plate at 20 yards is hardly sharp, but easily hit by centering the clear from sight on the blurry white spot in the distance -- just like "normal" visioned shooters. I have now come to the conclusion that too much time, worry, AND money, is spent trying to artificially get focus on sights and targets at the same time. Folks with young eyes can't do it, why try to fake it when we're older?

Awhile back my eye dr had me try mono vision and I couldn't adapt. But it's getting harder to see the front sight. For grins I shot a few rounds using my readers (+1.5), and while the target was fuzzy I shot better with a sharp front sight.

Has anyone tried full lens reader safety glasses? For the price I'd like to try these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KSJQC8W/ref=mp_s_a_1_7qid=1462048355&sr=8-7π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=full+reader+safety+glasses&dpPl=1&dpID=31sIHB9KiwL&ref=plSrch

If it works I'd drop the coin for lenses that fit my shooting eye pro. I'm just thinking it might be a cheap way to try it.

I use those and i think they're fantastic. But i use the +0,5 strength. It's enough to make my front sight crystal clear but i can still see the targets clearly

Sent by Jedi mind control

Yeah. Those are good. I also use +1.5 readers but only need +1.0 for my shooting glasses, due to how much farther away the front sight is vs how much closer reading material is.

I have a pair of safety readers that look like sunglasses.... but left lens is 0 correction, right is .75 correction..... left eye sees target, right eye has just enough correction to see sights. Kinda makes my head fuzzy for a few minutes, then I adapt. Put them on at least 30 minutes prior to shooting. Got about $30 bucks in the set.

Find a new eye doctor. I had similar sight issues but finally discovered that correcting one eye for distance and the other uncorrected for front sight works great. Get it pointed in correct direction focus front sight let it rip.

It's impossible to focus on the front sight and the 25 yard target at the same time. One or the other is going to be blurry. If one of you has the ability to focus on the 25 yard target with one eye and focus on the front sight with your other eye I'd say that's pretty incredible. At least I've never heard of that talent.

If you can't clearly see a 25 yard target then you are near sighted and need an update on your prescription. (You said you can clearly see the front sight)

I'm at the point in life where it's getting hard to clearly focus on the front sight. I can see distance no problem. Take off my glasses and I can focus easily on the front sight but can't see shit past 5 feet. lol Having the left lens for distance and the right lens for "reading" distance sounds like an option for me. That or carry optics!

Edited by 3djedi

I brought my handgun to the eye doctor. Got in my shooting stance and he made the strong eye prescription to work there to see the sights. He used my distance vision prescription in my weak side eye. Have to put the glasses on about an hour before I start shooting to let my eyes adjust. I'm 58 and wear bifocals.

Edited by BARRYJ

I had some shooting glasses made with a +1.00 lens for my dominant eye and distance prescription (-.50) in my other eye. I recently decided I shoot just as well or better with just plain lenses, so that's what I'm doing for now. The rear sight is quite blurry. Front sight is almost in focus and distant targets look normal. I find that the +1.00 lens makes distant targets look too blurry. 54 years old here.

By the way, I have the Rudy Project glasses with an insert, so it's easy to go with or without the insert. It's a slick set up.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's any way to keep the sights sharp, and

a 25 yard target sharp at the same time, once we reach a certain age - I

may be wrong.

I compromised on sharp sights, and somewhat blurry target (compromise),

until I started shooting OPEN (WOW, that red dot cures all my 71 year old

problems - well, the eye problems anyway). :cheers:

I agree. At a certain age, one's eyes are unable to focus on the sites AND the target.

No one can beat the aging process! All must adapt eventually :surprise:

.....double D or occupational lens. In this lens you have a conventional d shaped bifocal with your reading correction. About 14 mm above that is an inverted d with the exact correction needed to see your front sight and the rest of the lens is your distance correction...... I have several out of date lenses lying around and would be glad to send one to anyone who might like to see it (at least as long as they last).

Do you still have them, and can I get one lens from you? I visit India each year, doing volunteer work at an eye hospital, and once they know what to make, I hope they can do it for me.
Let me know - if so, I'll send you may mailing address. I did find a web page about this - would post the link, but as a new member here, I can't post links yet.
Thanks!!

I am near-sighted. I tried Rx inserts in my shooting glasses, and even the mixed distance and closeup focused lens idea. After a year of that, one day I said "Screw it" and shot with regular shooting glasses. Depending on light level and gun, the front sight may be a touch out of focus, but generally sharp. The targets are blurred. Finally, I could shoot with both eyes open, and more accuracy. An 8" plate at 20 yards is hardly sharp, but easily hit by centering the clear from sight on the blurry white spot in the distance -- just like "normal" visioned shooters. I have now come to the conclusion that too much time, worry, AND money, is spent trying to artificially get focus on sights and targets at the same time. Folks with young eyes can't do it, why try to fake it when we're older?

+1

I normally wear trifocals except that when shooting it works out that I get good front sight focus with my dominate eye & just plain non-prescription glasses work well for me.

I probably will never have the speed to make it to A class or IDPA master, but accuracy is not an issue and I do my best at the matches with a lot of tight shots. Aiming at the center of the fuzzy things works very well, as others have noted, no ones eyes can be focused at two different distances at the same time.

"You" can't focus one eye on the sights and one on the target unaided, but, with the proper prescription in your glasses you can have one eye focused on the sights and one on the target. Some people can't do it but if you are one who can, that is the way to go.

"You" can't focus one eye on the sights and one on the target unaided, but, with the proper prescription in your glasses you can have one eye focused on the sights and one on the target. Some people can't do it but if you are one who can, that is the way to go.

I don't think you mean to say that you can have focus on two different distances at the same time, perhaps you do.

Otherwise my optometrist says this works well for a lot of people, one lens for near and the other for far and the brain learns which eye to ignore when, I think it is sort of like how the brain learns to ignore some input from your weak eye as you train yourself to shoot with both eyes open.

I meant - referring to #35 above - that it would be very rare, if not impossible - for "you", with no glasses, to focus on two different objects at two different distances.

However, with the proper prescription for each eye, with glasses, it is possible to do so for many people.

Sorry if my post in #41 was unclear.

I meant - referring to #35 above - that it would be very rare, if not impossible - for "you", with no glasses, to focus on two different objects at two different distances.

However, with the proper prescription for each eye, with glasses, it is possible to do so for many people.

Sorry if my post in #41 was unclear.

Can you give me a reference for that ? Everything I have ever read or been told is to the contrary, that is not me saying that I know it is wrong but it seems like it has to be wrong.

No offense of any sort is intended.

Look at posts #7, #11, #13 and #20.

I've been doing it for about 30 years, right (dominant eye ) lens set for sharp front sight view - slightly fuzzy on out and left lens set for normal distance prescription which gives me 20/15 vision in that eye. Before both cataract operations my glasses gave me 20/10 in both eyes but the Dr. who did the cataract operations said he could only get me 20/15 in my current prescription for both eyes. I wear single vision glasses and take them off to read or do up close work. Most people get the replacement eye lenses for distance and then wear reading glasses but I didn't want to lug around another pair of glasses so had everything done as described.

I'm with you now. I think W.Churchill said something like "Never have two peoples been so divided by a common language" :) .

Your glasses allow you to see well with one eye when you are focusing on something distant and to see well with the other eye when you are focusing on something near. Your brain figures out which image to choose depending upon what you are looking at.

Sorry bout that.

You got it :cheers: . Some people just can't stand their glasses that way, but if it doesn't bother you, it works very well. I've also found that if you put the shooting glasses on when you get up in the morning it also helps as your eyes are starting from a more neutral position from just arising instead of changing in mid stream when you get to the match.

Very similar to my left ear that can hear the football game just fine, but my right ear can't hear a thing my wife happens to be chirping :goof:

It's very difficult to focus on two things at once. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

My solution to the age old problem was to have a special pair of glasses made. The left lens is my regular lens w/bifocal in a progressive lens. For the right lens, my eye Dr. made a lens that lets me focus 5" past my hands. That way I can see my front sight & the target is fuzzy, as it should be. This is like what a bifocal lens does but the whole lens is made that way. Now I can see my front sight and still be able to read, score targets, work the Nook for scoring. I bring my guns (with permission) to the office to check everything works as it should. The biggest problem is getting the folks that make the lens to make it to the correct prescription. They see what should be a bifocal script and don't think it is correct. Once they understand what your trying to do, then they make to lens as required.

I can now see my front sight without having to hold my head at odd angles to get the bifocal in the right place. All I shoot is SS and really don't want to swap to anything else.

Beauxdog