Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock open gun curiosity.....

wyliearms

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran an SJC for a while and it ran like a top. Any home builds seem to shit the bed at some point. Even KC couldn't get Glock/Zev to get one to run for him. SJC is the only builder Ive seen make it work.

Prety sure that's all open guns

Not at all. Ive got two custom STI's that run and run and run. 30K in one and 10K in another.

How many of you got frustrated trying to run a Glock open gun? I can't be the only one that wants to drive over mine with a truck...

I was pretty damn frustrated with mine on Saturday. It's partly my fault though. I normally run Bayou Bullets but had some Blue Bullets that were already loaded that I wanted to shoot just to get rid of them. I had a lousy match. I had extraction issues on all stages except for one. For some reason the brass was getting caught between the slide and the C-More mount. Is it possible to "tune" the extractor / ejector to kick the brass out sideways instead of up and out? I'm going to take the DK Trigger kit out of the open gun and put it in my new Carry Optic Glock 17 and play in that division for a while.

I had the same issue with Blue Bullets. Same load as the Xtreme that worked great but 1 of 3 failed to extract. If you are running a comp it's a gas issue and you need to go up to throw the brass. The issue with low recoil rounds with the Cmore mount is that the gas expelling from the comp quickly does not have the same force to move the slide reward to force ejection. The light ejection force combined with the force of the fresh round pushing upward causes the round to eject upward and not outward. If you increase the charge that will go away. I did that and accuracy went to pot. I have to push my sight as far forward as possible to prevent it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I didn't have a single issue with mine, granted I didn't shoot it all that long (but the guy I sold it to hasn't had any issues to report either, so...). If there is any gun I want to run over with a truck, it is my 2011 open gun.

Once you get it running, just keep feeding it the same ammo and it will work.

I shot an SJC Glock with upright mount and it worked fine. Mag catch wore out at nats 2 yrs ago and cost me a lot as mags kept falling out at the worst time. Now I have a 2011 that worked for about a year and now started to have issues.

SJC has a tuning back plate to adjust the extractor. Not sure if they sell it seperate.

I run a Bobby Carver built G17 open gun with a standard upright C-More mount in 3-gun & USPSA. Nothing runs 100%, but it close if I do my reloading correctly. 7.0gr of HS6 @ 1.12-3, X-Treme 115gr RN plated. Pyramid 3# trigger, SJC 5 port comp. 10K plus rounds in almost 3 years. High primers (my fault) are it biggest problem. TF 170mm mag ext. with new springs every year. Gun is very competitive if I do my part. I do not run major. Mags & gun are very reliable.

gerritm

I have an SJC G17 and run major with 7.2 WSF behind MG 125 CMJ making 171PF. I have the Micro mount (upright) and have almost no problems. An FTE occasionally, but overall it runs great. I wish I was as good as the gun!

I"ll back Garretm his gun runs as well as as my 2011 , Minor does not hurt him at all .

Minor hurts everyone. Even someone as accurate as Michel or Tilley.

2015 open nationals had two people shooting minor. Both finished outside the top 200.

Mine runs terrific. Homebuild with 10-15k 9mm major and another 5k minor through it so far...

90 degree cmore mount

Carver 4 port comp

lone wolf barrel

glock 17 gen 3

sjc frame weight

stainless guiderod with 11# spring

3lb striker spring with Zev Fulcrom Ultimate kit - trigger and striker setup (basically all the guts) - (I swap all springs about every 5k)

jp magwell

taylor freelance big stick extensions

115 grain bullets, fed small pistol primers with HS6 running at 171pf

It can be done... takes quality parts, patience and a solid understanding of loading and load development, basic gunsmithing and a parts bin of extra parts (springs ect for tuning to your load)

Mine runs terrific. Homebuild with 10-15k 9mm major and another 5k minor through it so far...

90 degree cmore mount

Carver 4 port comp

lone wolf barrel

glock 17 gen 3

sjc frame weight

3lb striker spring with Zev Fulcrom Ultimate kit - trigger and striker setup (basically all the guts) - (I swap all springs about every 5k)

jp magwell

It can be done... takes quality parts, patience and a solid understanding of loading and load development, basic gunsmithing and a parts bin of extra parts (springs ect for tuning to your load)

Care to share your charge and oal for major and minor load with hs6?

Or, just run a 90 degree mount. The vast majority of frustration I am finding is coming from the ejection pattern in relation to the Carver mount. If I take it off completely the gun runs like a dream. I have another Glock with a dovetail mount FF3 and it runs awesome but I cant get used to the dot bouncing around. I've tried a few things I picked up on the internet the last few days and through talking to people about this issue. I am going to give it a final test this weekend and if what I did works, with the reduced power load I want, I will post them up. My issue is that I don't need a Major PF for Steel Challenge. I want a nice low PF / recoil round that extracts well. It may come down to removing the comp completely which is what others have done. If I run 7.3 grains of AA#7 to meet Major it throws them across the range but I don't need that hot of a load.

90 degree cmore mount

Carver 4 port comp

lone wolf barrel

glock 17 gen 3

sjc frame weight

jp magwell

I have been running an open G17 Glock for under a year, its primary purpose is for 3 gun but I also use it for USPSA and will use for steel challenge this summer. I have a slide mounted RTS2. The gun has been very reliable once I got things sorted out, there was certainly a learning curve. The advise I got on this board for minor loads was to use lighter bullets with slower powders to get the benefits of the comp. I am using RMR and Hornady 90 grain bullets and 7.5 grains of Silhouette and have been very happy with the accuracy results. l will chrono the loads as soon as I have enough daylight. I picked up a can of Autocomp today and want to try it also.

Most frame mounted Open guns in any platform are not readily reliable maybe due to the comp action, ejection path covered by reddot and/or mount, additional weight in the muzzle, etc. And so they need some tuning. At least all my open glocks and 2011s did/do.

You haveve the 90 degree mounts. Now that I know better thats what I should have went with.

I ran a 90 degree mount for a short while and I was a bear to keep clean.

You were a bear?

:) Make that "IT" was a bear to keep clean.

SJC Heavy weight that's 48ozs.(3lbs) of brass,steel,titanium and tungsten. 9 major and with the help of the SJC adjustable extractor back plate no ejection problems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

post-4174-14568947486_thumb.jpg