Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting multiple divisions

Absocold

Did a forum search but couldn't find any info so asking here.

Currently shooting in Open class but would also like to shoot either Single Stack or Production as well. Is it possible to shoot in more than one division on the same day at the same match?

If it is possible, is there any reason not to? I haven't seen anyone doing this except at the nationals so maybe it's rude or a pain for the club or a hassle for your squad or something.

6.2.4 Subject to the prior approval of the Match Director, a competitor may
enter a match in more than one Division. However, the competitor may
compete for match score in only one Division, and that must be the first
attempt in all cases. Any subsequent attempts in another Division will
not count for match recognition.
6.2.4.1 Level I matches may allow competitors to enter multiple
Divisions for match recognition.

Sometime if it is a classifier match there is time to shoot through more than once but most of the time when you went through the whole match there isn't time for you to go through again.

My club allows a second shoot. Indoors it is easy to change because we normally only do 2 stages. Outdoors we go 6 stages and some people shoot again. Our matches are normally 3 hours and 6+ to go around twice. The twice around are also the teardown crew.

i've asked a few times and have never been turned down. i do let them know that it won't interfere with taping, resetting etc because that's really the big prob, folks spending all their time reloading and getting ready vs helping out.

Like everyone else has said it will probably be specific to your match director as to whether or not you can do it. For me, locally, I have not seen anyone shoot more than one division in the same day at a regular outdoor match. I have (and do so myself) seen people shoot one of the local indoor matches in multiple divisions. That match is set up to run multiple flights of the same match. So one group shoots at 530 and the next shoots at 8. These are much shorter 3 stage matches and overall time spent shooting is about the same as a regular match if you shoot both flights. I try and sign up for both flights when I shoot these as I allows me to get more shooting in during the crappy weather months.. and because I have to drive a couple hours to shoot so I want to make sure the trigger time is worth the travel.

That happens a little bit here in Colorado but not often. We use to have a guy that did it all the time shooting Limited and Open every single match. But he eventually got asked to not do it any more because he was too busy screwing with his guns, mags and gear switching back and forth every stage and never helped tape, brass, or RO. His squad mates basically shut it down for him because they stopped squading with him or simply didn't reset the stage for his runs so he had to tape and set his own stage before shooting it.

When you don't pull your own weight and expect everyone else to do all of the work while you shoot twice as much it does not make your squad mates happy.

I have never seen it at a real match locally. We simply couldn't do it with the number of shooters we have, it would just take too long.

The only exception would be a classifier match, but those are way faster than a regular match anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Our local club started running a second flight that's about an hour after the morning run. Honestly I really like this, though only a fraction show up for the second or will stay and run a second.....But it doesn't hold up the flow of the Match or cause issues with the shooters. It allows for a gear change and a mind set change.

My buddy went from a open run on the first to a revo run on he second, that messed with his head.

I have found when I run L10/prod day, I'm basically running same course twice and same stage breakdown Ish. From now on I plan of shooting two different "games". This month I'm set for a limited/ L10.