Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Prices

calhunter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $2.13 about 3 days ago.

If gas was adjusted for inflation from 1980 prices, it would cost $3 a gallon.

People (not anyone here) need to take some responsibility for their politics. Suing the living bejeezus out of the petroleum industry every time they want to put up and oil rig or build a refinery comes at a cost. And this is it. We really do have no one to blame but ourselves for this. The "shortage" is a shortage of refining and domestic pumping capacity. There is plenty of oil and there will continue to be for the forseeable future.

Market economics will return to the system, it always has no matter what BS the speculators and OPEC have tried to pull. $60/bbl is pie in the sky speculation over global implosion, which isn't going to happen.

$2.24 for reg 2 days ago. It's probably higher today. The lady that worked at the station said the price can go up a couple times a day. That's BS. We know they don't fill the MAIN tanks a couple times a day.

Highway robbery.

$2.24 for reg 2 days ago.  It's probably higher today.  The lady that worked at the station said the price can go up a couple times a day.  That's BS.  We know they don't fill the MAIN tanks a couple times a day. 

Highway robbery.

When your house goes up for sale, I trust it will be priced based on what is "reasonable" rather than the maximum the market will bear :).

EricW,

So are you saying that it the price per barrel should eventually fall back to the $40 level?

On the news last year it was reported that during an OPEC meeting members agreed that anything over $34 a barrel was too high ( at the time I think it was approaching $40). A few weeks later the news reported that they had decided to cut production. WTF? Then, in the months after the price skyrocketed. The only thing that I understand is that as long as they can sell it for higher and higher profits, they don't give a damn what you pay at the pump.

They used to say that when the price on a barrel of oil went up, it could take six months to see it reflected at the pump. Nowadays it seems like as soon as somebody farts overseas gas station owners get out of bed in the middle of the night to raise the price another 10 cents.

About $2.50/gal here, about a half hour north of Seattle.

Having said that, it is still a *lot* cheaper than the 1 pound per *liter* I paid in the UK last month (works out to nearly 8 bucks a gallon)

Bruce

Give me a break

Sorry Eric. I don't get on my soap box very often BUT. This whole thing started with the so called oil shortage. You remember that one don't you? No gas at the pumps, mile long lines, 10 gallon limits, telescoping storage tanks almost out of the ground, tankers sitting off shore backed up 12 deep, and oh yea, the great Alaska pipe line that was going to save us all who's oil was sold on paper to Japan before it ever started pumping. As soon as the government gave up regulating gas prices we had all the fuel we could use. Then the oil guys got out the big jar of vaseline.

There's a bunch of half wrapped towel heads that are controling the price of crude. Which in turn is controling the economy here.

That used to be called a monopoly. But due to the world economy that's being shoved down our throats it's being called a shortage. Or it costs more to refine "Summer" gas than "Winter" gas.

Gas prices are what thay have always been, i.e., what the market will bear. When dad gave me a quarter to take the gas can down to the filling station to get a gallon of gas for the lawnmower I got to keep the change. By the time I bought my first new car in 1973 it took $4.00 to fill it up. But in perspective, the three bedroom suburban house we lived in cost $13,500. Today, if mom wanted to sell it she could easily get ten times that. A $3000 Ford Mustang was uber cool in the mid 60's. Last time I looked at a Mustang it was $30,000. That $0.25 gasoline now costs $2.50 just means that everything is the same, we have just adjusted the scale. Minimum wage is no longer $0.75 an hour and everything else has increased ten fold since I was a kid. I figured out a couple of years ago this is not an evil conspiracy, it is just the way the world works.

One hundred and twenty years ago you could get a fancy new pistol for a $20 gold piece. Today, for a $20 gold piece, if you have one, you could get a new pistol.

What I hate is that I can not purchase todays goods at the prices of 40 years ago. I could retire!

norcal (sacto) last thursday, $2.24 for reg, this morning,$2.43, at arco. poor saps using diesel are paying $2.69! and i'm planning on driving to bend and vegas...do the math and in some cases, even with a rental car, it's cheaper to fly. having said that, 3 gun is a whole different animal...this weekend's trip to bakersfield gear must weigh 100 lbs!

it sux...could be worse...remember the primer shortage???

I live in the Mid West. I have to drive 17 miles to work one way. A tank of gas will last me all week. Many people have to drive 3 or 4 times that far to make a living. Do they get a raise every time the price of fuel goes up? How about the independent trucker. He's still getting the same price per mile as he did in the '60's. Every time the heat in a building goes on the cost of business goes up for that owner. Can he compeat with a business that doesn't heat or cool it's business like they do in some other countrys?

The world's oil is now being poured into one big pool. Every country dips into that pool at a price that is dictated by a group of men sitting around a table a long way from here.

I may sound like I don't believe in a world economy. I DON"T. This used to be the greatest country in the world. The industrial giant of the world. Today industry is moving out of this country every day. Moving to countrys that promiss cheap energy.

Regular unleaded running from $2.18-2.25 in the Mobile, AL area .

Diesel about $2.30. I have a co-worker who is making bio-diesel with the discarded cooking oil of fine (and not-so-fine) eateries. He says it cost him about $0.75/gal. (and alot of chemistry background)

as the golf folks used to say..."Grip it and Rip it" :wacko:

dj

They used to say that when the price on a barrel of oil went up, it could take six months to see it reflected at the pump. Nowadays it seems like as soon as somebody farts overseas gas station owners get out of bed in the middle of the night to raise the price another 10 cents.

:lol::P:D

A year ago or so I remember advertising on the radio about investing in unleaded gasoline. Not sure how it worked but if the profits from the investments followed gas prices those investors must be working on thier next of kin retirements by now!!!

In Indianapolis I found 87 octane for $2.14 yesterday. I immediately called everyone to brag...

2.05 to 2.15 for a 10% ethanol mix.

If you want fuel prices to drop,,,,one thing to do is get on the bandwagon for 85% ethanol,,,,,we got more corn here in Iowa/the midwest than we know what to do with.

One thing about Europe, they've learned long ago to develop extensive public transportation systems.....something we haven't devoted nearly the time too as our capitalistic society has stresssed individuality along with a hell of a lot of advertising dollars on automobile ownership.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I'm a conservative, I'm not saying take your cars away and ride the bus,,,,,just stating an opinion about development in the US vs. Europe.

I don't know what the percentage is, but I'd guess a huge part of that nearly $10 US a gallon is taxes meant to support that cheap dental care, medical care, great public transportation,,,,,yada yada yada.

On a side note, I'm increasing my daily commute shortly from about 4 miles to about 40 miles (one way),,,,but I'll be darned if one of my neighbors doesn't work in the same building about 3 floors down, we're already looking at carpooling.

H4444

Drove to Houston yesterday. Prices were from $2.11 at the BP to about 2.25 on the highway.

What the talking heads are saying about oil now is China. As they buy more cars, the demand will go up significantly, and the price will never really go down. YMMV.....

Lee