Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder through expanding die options?

louu

Hey guys, are there any other options out there besides the Lee or the Hornady for a powder through expanding Die I can use with the Lee Auto disk?

I have the LnL press and using the Lee Auto disk with the Lee die. The problem is that the brass gets stuck and I dam near pick the whole bench off the floor every time I flare/charge a case.

I can't use the Hornady powder measure because I'm using the bullet feed die in station 3 and the Hornady measure hits the BFD. Station 4 is the seater and 5 is the FCD.

Thanks in advance

You can try polishing the outside powder funnel part of the die. The other possibilities that I can think of are that your brass is too clean, the powder funnel is getting gummed up (if you're using lube on your cases), or that you're belling the cases too much.

Have you tried figuring out why it gets stuck before changing? I have a press set up with the Lee auto disk and PTX for .45 and it runs smooth.

Not really, I cleaned it and it still does it, not really sure what else to do. I just kind of figured that's how it works.

Have you tried figuring out why it gets stuck before changing? I have a press set up with the Lee auto disk and PTX for .45 and it runs smooth.

Not really, I cleaned it and it still does it, not really sure what else to do. I just kind of figured that's how it works.

That's not normal, from my experience. It tends to "clunk" as the case is coming out of the die, but that's to shake powder loose that might be inside the die. It shouldn't be stuck as hard as you're describing.

Edited by TennJeep1618

You can try polishing the outside powder funnel part of the die. The other possibilities that I can think of are that your brass is too clean, the powder funnel is getting gummed up (if you're using lube on your cases), or that you're belling the cases too much.

Yes my brass is too clean (wet tumble) and I'm not using lube. I'll try to back off the bell right now.

Take it out and polish the "heck" out of it, not by hand but mechanically. This will reduce the diameter and also release easier from the inside of the case. Case will then grip the bullet more tightly and you require no crimp, just straighten the case wall at the flare.

If the Lee expander die is that hard to remove from the case something is definitely wrong, especially if your cases are coming out properly expanded. My brass is clean and I don't lube yet it requires almost no effort to expand and charge 45acp cases.

If you are one that shines cases inside and out, you have removed the natural dry lube in the cases--your could try dipping the cases in powdered graphite or micro-ground mica.

Next, smoothing the expander helps. With Lee, you can also call them, tell them your problem, and they'll send you a new powder-expander insert (or they did for me).

I have no idea how you can use a Hornady PTX with a Lee measure. Maybe it is easy, but post instructions and pictures.

ALL PTXs (Lee PTE, Hornady PTX, and Dillon "Powder Funnel") all can stick in super clean cases.

You could buy the SUPER Lee Pro Auto-Disk, commonly called the Dillon Powder Measure and get the cartrdige/caliber specific "powder funnels."

Night Owl Enterprises is a well regarded moldmaker and now makes powder through expanders for lee dies.

Personally I would also lube my cases... wet tumbling definitely makes brass "sticky".

• 2 weeks later...

I run the exact same setup and have never had that problem. Something is terribly wrong with it if it is getting that stuck. It may be too far down. Have you tried backing the die off a little bit. I'm running a LNL AP, all Lee dies and I don't use their powder drop. Runs as smooth as glass.

Edited by wyliearms

I run the exact same setup and have never had that problem. Something is terribly wrong with it if it is getting that stuck. It may be too far down. Have you tried backing the die off a little bit. I'm running a LNL AP, all Lee dies and I don't use their powder drop. Runs as smooth as glass.

Does the inner piece of your expanding die move up and down inside the die body?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Does the inner piece of your expanding die move up and down inside the die body?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes. It "floats" freely.

I wet tumble and have the same issue with brass sticking to the expander. So now, what I do is when I know I'm going to reload, I throw the cases in the dry tumbler with some wax for about 5 minutes. This helps a lot and my cases don't stick anymore.

Sorry for not updating this and thanks for the replies.

I haven't messed with it anymore because instead I figured out by turning the Hornady powder measure around to where the adjustment faces away from me it fits. It also makes a lot nicer bell with the Hornady Powder Through Expander (PTX) than the Lee ever did.

It just kinda sucks because I have two Lee measures and was hoping to have one for every caliber I load (only load three calibers). I'm probably going to sell them and get another Hornady measure setup.

I have had this problem on my Dillon 550b with the Dillon PTX, and the problem was I was using new brass. Brass that is new or too clean will do this, regardless of expander brand, although some of the Dillon expanders have LONG necks before you get to the flare.

I actually sent a few of mine away for some super-slick coating, similar to TiN, and that certainly helped. It was an experimental thing, worked out with a guy who had access to a shop that applied such coatings to other parts, but as far as I know it is not something that is commercially available now.