Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trojan vs wesson pm9 as backup to sti for SS

motosapiens

So I'm thinking about getting a backup gun, or maybe it will end up the primary and my current gun (STI USPSA model in 9mm) will be the backup.

I could just get the CRP trojan (in blue or hard chrome) from dawson and just about be done with it. Probably just replace the extractor and slide stop with wilson bulletproof parts, since the wilson extractor helped my current sti noticeably.

Or for a similar price I could get a dan wesson pm9 and trick it out with an ICE magwell and probably an ed brown mag release and button.

I think the dan wesson is (by reputation) a tighter and better built gun, but there may be compatibility advantages in sticking to the same manufacturer. at least I have confidence the dawson mags will continue to run perfectly in another STI, and the carefully fitted dsperman 2011 grips should fit right on.

OTOH, I will probably get another set of dsperman grips anyway, and im pretty confident the dawson mags will run perfectly in the dan wesson too.

what would you do?

Hello: I know the two Springfield Loaded target 9mm I have are both very well built. For just over $900 I think they are a good buy. They don't list it any longer but I have heard they will have some new models in the next couple of weeks. The Sig Elite guns look good also. I have a Sig Max in 45acp I am playing with right now. I prefer to put in the parts I like and get the gun a little cheaper so I can do that. Since you are putting different grips on you won't need a checkered front strap so the Springfield Range Officer my work as well. I like stainless guns or ones that are brushed hard chromed. I think after Shot Show you will be able to see more of what is out there and what is new. Thanks, Eric

Better build quality and nicer serrations on the DW. Neither of mine ran out of the box. Both required screwing around with the extractor & ejector. The PM9 required an extended ejector and the Trojan required clearancing the ejector to keep the mag from contacting it. I run an Aftec extractor in my Trojan. I might put one in the PM9 if I run into any more extraction issues.

P.S. Sad to say my favorite 1911 right now is a SIG officers model in 45acp. It's been flawless right with minor and full power ammo. The SIG uses an external extractor and a flat wire, captured main spring. When I have some more pennies in the piggy bank I'll likely five one of their 9mm 1911's a try. The SIG trigger will likely suck so I guess there are some trade offs.

Edited by blind bat

I have not handled a PM9 but have heard good things about them. I used to own a DW CBOB (regret selling it), if the PM9 is on par with my old CBOB you won't be disappointed. I say do something nice for yourself and get a PM9. On the off chance you don't like it I bet you know someone who will buy it off you.

I recently purchased a PM9. Excellent pistol, very accurate. Nice clean 4# trigger right out of the box.

Using 4 different bullet types I have run about 400 rounds through it, still waiting for my first jam.

I have both and the PM9 is a much better 1911. Both Trojan and PM9 run flawless but the fit of the PM9 is.much better.

Felt recoil on the PM9 is less and the trigger out of the box is much better. I also like the checkering on the PM9 much more than the cut they,use in the trojan.

Never owned a PM but have several 1911's and had about all af them open. Reason lot's of custom guns are built on STI parts. All will require a little

tuning to be competitive. My Trojan has 30k and the slide to frame is still tight. Hard chrome and the finish still looks good except for wear on the grip

safety, Usually look for bargains on the net right now there is a Trojan blued, ambi safety's Dawson mag well and Dawson front sight for $899.00.

Check Gunbroker on page 8, was there last night. Good buy for a gun with desirable extras. Like the high cut under the trigger guard on the Trojan.

Gun points well. This one is in 45acp with options and the first owner has taken the loss,

I have a Trojan in 40, and a PM 9 in 9mm, and a DW SSC40.

I like the fit and finish of the PM9 better. It also has better checkering and a better trigger. I think mine also came with a fiber optic front sight. I also looks better.

The only thing I did to the PM 9 was to throat the barrel to get my berry's bullets and moly coated bullets to extract better.

I like the Trojan and it runs, but is not as tight, and the finish is not as pretty. I had to do a trigger job on it to get it to where I like it. I also added a FO front sight.

I would buy the PM9. I only bought the Trojan so I could shoot it with the STI contingency program.

Randy

I have a PM9 and really like it. Smooth out of the box is an understatement.

I did have some feed problems, which required some smith work. But after that it seems to run fine.

Even with some issues, I absolutely love the gun..

It does need a magwell for competition , but everything else is on the gun.

With it being a 10 round, it makes single stack run like a limited 10.

Hello: Springfield just brought a Range Officer in stainless with a fiber front sight but no forward cocking serrations. Depending on price it may be worth a look. I like the STI Trojan but wish they would either not serrate the front strap or use checkering on it. But then again skate board tape is cheap and effective. Thanks, Eric

But on a competition single stack built by a competition gun builder, the stippling on the Trojan is just stupid, especially at that price. We shouldn't have to put $.50 worth of skate tape on a $1200 gun.

Get the PM9, add a magwell & some 10rd. mags, shoot, repeat as necessary.

The stainless RO sounds interesting, though I doubt it will be as nice as the PM9.

But on a competition single stack built by a competition gun builder, the stippling on the Trojan is just stupid, especially at that price. We shouldn't have to put $.50 worth of skate tape on a $1200 gun.

Get the PM9, add a magwell & some 10rd. mags, shoot, repeat as necessary.

The stainless RO sounds interesting, though I doubt it will be as nice as the PM9.

Hello: The range officer depending on price could be a great starting point. If it comes in the street price of $750 range that gives you a lot of room for improved parts and upgrades. At $550 cheaper than a PM-9 that buys a lot of upgrades and magazines. It seems that the 1911 is making a comeback in 9mm but still no love for one in 40 S&W. Thanks, Eric

Pm 9 all the way. Nicer than any sti, Springfield, sig, s&w, Kimber I have owned or handled. Very tight. I checked out the RO and was actually pretty disappointed. The pm9 is better than my Trophy Match.

I have a newly acquired PM9 and it is very nice. Amazing shooter. Right now I have put about 1,000 rounds through it (it was used when I got it) and have two IDPA matches in. Excellent quality and very good trigger. The CZ may be going up for sale. You won't go wrong with the PM9.

I want a second one now!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I stumbled across a nice lightly used pm9 in the classifieds here on a day when I had almost broke down and ordered one from oak hill or grabagun. Lucky for me I was shirking at work. I got it yesterday, fitted the perman grips that I like due to my now stiff pinkie finger, and sighted it in today at the range. 120 flawless rounds. I'm very happy with the gun and it looks like after a few hundred more rounds it will become my primary SS gun and my STI will move to backup status.

I was wondering how this was all going to turn out for you and am glad you like the PM9, and am not surprised you like it.

Got one for myself a while back and have been extremely happy with it.

I only wonder why they don't make .40s and .45s with all the features of the PM9, seems like a no-brainer.