Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gray vs. Burke?

saibot

I'm going to send off my P320 for a competition action job and there seems to be two names that come up, Bruce Gray and Robert Burke.

I feel confident that either one will do an excellent job but was curious about the feel of the guns that each produce. Has anyone compared them? Or is it pretty much the same result from each?

It was be great to know the "personality" of the guns so I can send mine to the proper smith.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Both have exceptional reputations. Bruce Gray has spent a lot of time working directly with Sig working on the P320. Most of his work on this pistol has been in combination with the Sig Shooting team. I have had him work on a number of other pistols and have been very satisfied. If there is a negative he has a large back log and expect your gun to be there awhile.

Jay

I sent my P320 to Robert Burke for Competiton trigger job and sight installation. Was like two week turn around at that time, He did an outstanding job on both.

I've never got to feel a Bruce Gray trigger job so I can't make a comparison.

Bruce's triggers will be lighter. My current P320 pulls at 3 lb 4oz with stock, uncut factory striker spring and triggerbar spring.

He is also starting to make more of his own barstock parts and springs that are going into his trigger jobs versus using modified factory parts.

He is still dead set on having drop in kits available soon but in the meantime his hands-on work is the best.

The wait will be longer but it's worth it.

I have shot 320's worked on by both Burke and Gray. The Burke model was done late 2014 or early 2015, and the Gray model was done relatively recently. IMHO, there was a vast difference between the two. While the Burke gun was better than a stock gun, it did not compare favorably to the much better Gray version. The Gray trigger was significantly lighter, crisper, and the reset was much better.

• 11 months later...

I went with Burke and to be honest, it didn't go well. It didn't function in a small grip frame and had to send it back. Then it was inconsistent, so I wound up giving it to a buddy that uses a medium grip frame. 

These days I have 2 P320's and both of them have stock triggers and work just fine for me. 

54 minutes ago, saibot said:

I went with Burke and to be honest, it didn't go well. It didn't function in a small grip frame and had to send it back. Then it was inconsistent, so I wound up giving it to a buddy that uses a medium grip frame. 

These days I have 2 P320's and both of them have stock triggers and work just fine for me. 

Hmm.  Thats the first negative thing about him I've read all day.

Burke and Grayguns approach P320 trigger jobs very differently. Bruce is now making his own sears, triggers, sear Springs and followers few others parts that go into the trigger. He is making some geometry changes that significantly lighten the pull and improve their other characteristics. Burke primarily modifies factory parts and in his higher end work is doing a lot to shorten the overtravel and pre-travel. That is what I think makes them somewhat sensitive to small changes in tolerances when doing things like changing grip modules. Max has four grips I made for him and for the longest time they would not work with his guns that had the Burke triggers. 

I think Max had been using Burke so I think he kept on using Burke, and I am guessing the shorter trigger travel of the trigger appealed to Max even though it's likely to be a bit heavier and not quite as safe as GGI work. I know that of those 6% of shooters at Production Nationals who were shooting SIGs there was only one P320 that we heard about having problems (it tripped on one stage) and it wasn't one worked on by Bruce. 

The biggest complaint about GGI I generally think turn around time. Now that GGI has its own internal parts instead of having to modify factory ones, the P320 jobs are clearing the shop much faster an should be expected to last longer overall. 

14 hours ago, alma said:

Burke and Grayguns approach P320 trigger jobs very differently. Bruce is now making his own sears, triggers, sear Springs and followers few others parts that go into the trigger. He is making some geometry changes that significantly lighten the pull and improve their other characteristics. Burke primarily modifies factory parts and in his higher end work is doing a lot to shorten the overtravel and pre-travel. That is what I think makes them somewhat sensitive to small changes in tolerances when doing things like changing grip modules. Max has four grips I made for him and for the longest time they would not work with his guns that had the Burke triggers. 

I think Max had been using Burke so I think he kept on using Burke, and I am guessing the shorter trigger travel of the trigger appealed to Max even though it's likely to be a bit heavier and not quite as safe as GGI work. I know that of those 6% of shooters at Production Nationals who were shooting SIGs there was only one P320 that we heard about having problems (it tripped on one stage) and it wasn't one worked on by Bruce. 

The biggest complaint about GGI I generally think turn around time. Now that GGI has its own internal parts instead of having to modify factory ones, the P320 jobs are clearing the shop much faster an should be expected to last longer overall. 

All I want to have done is an action job on a P227 work gun.  Oh and I may have him bead blast the Nitron off of the slide.......having Burke's shop 15 minutes from my house is very convenient too!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm gonna have to bring this one back.   I would HIGHLY recommend grayguns.  I had some issues with their PELT trigger that were totally 100 percent tolerance issues with the actual gun.  When I contacted them they were more than helpful.  I made it clear that I didn't believe that it was their parts that were the problem and it wasn't.  They said they don't care.  Send it in and they will make it right.  So I did.  I decided to have them do their competition trigger job while it was out.  Because I was having problems they put it to the top of their list, and that they did.  They received it yesterday and are putting it back in the mail today and they are covering the return shipping minus the overnight charge because I am impatient lol.  The customer service they have provided is unrivaled.  I had the gunsmiths cell number that worked on my gun.  I have a business and I struggle to provide that kind of prompt top notch service.  They always answered my emails and even my text messages. I haven't received the gun back yet but I do not doubt it will live up to their reputation.  Can't recommend them enough. 

• 10 months later...

Thread Revivie!

I have heard conflicting answers on this so Im wondering if I can get a definitive one here.

On the P320 X5, does the grayguns competition trigger job disqualify you from running in IDPA ESP division or USPSA's production division due to the fact that you are swapping out factory parts for aftermarket ones? Some people argue that is does due to the fact that they are no longer OEM parts. Others say since the aftermarket parts are modeled after the OEM ones, they are legal. 

Has anyone contacted the USPSA or IPDA to inquire about this, or actually talked to an RO at a high level match to get a definitve answer?

TIA

Edited by Gunnar971

58 minutes ago, Gunnar971 said:

Thread Revivie!

I have heard conflicting answers on this so Im wondering if I can get a definitive one here.

On the P320 X5, does the grayguns competition trigger job disqualify you from running in IDPA ESP division or USPSA's production division due to the fact that you are swapping out factory parts for aftermarket ones? Some people argue that is does due to the fact that they are no longer OEM parts. Others say since the aftermarket parts are modeled after the OEM ones, they are legal. 

Has anyone contacted the USPSA or IPDA to inquire about this, or actually talked to an RO at a high level match to get a definitve answer?

TIA

I can't speak to IDPA.  However, the GGI trigger will be USPSA Production Division legal in approximately 3 months with the very recent rules change. 

On 1/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, mag17 said:

I will take them...

On 2/22/2018 at 1:46 PM, Gunnar971 said:

Thread Revivie!

TIA

From the USPSA perspective ....

Swapping out INTERNAL parts is LEGAL under the current rules and rules that take affect on May 18, 2018.  Internal parts DOES NOT include the trigger (PELT).

Now .... once May 18th comes, you can run whatever trigger, mag release, slide release, etc.

I wanted to give a quick update. I ended up sending off my X5 to Robert Burke. Turn around was SUPER fast (from the time it was sent out until I got it back in my possession was less than a week). 

I havent gotten a chance to live fire it yet, but in doing some dry firing there is a noticable difference with a marked improvement.

- Takeup has been reduced to almost nothing 

- Trigger weight has been significantly reduced (Robert advertises 4lbs and I dont have a pull gauge so Ill assume its very close to that) without any creep or spongeyness

- Trigger reset is smoohthed out significantly

I would be interested to compare it to the GG trigger job and I am on the waitlist for their drop in kit. I have another P320 FCU  Ill drop that into if/when they become available. Something of note, however, is their drop in kits are ONLY for guns that have gone through the volunitary upgrade. I have not done this with the X5 or other P320 yet, which is another reason I went with Robert.

thanks again to everyone for their input and help understanding the rules

I also sent my upgraded X5 to Robert Burke for his competition job. The trigger came back right at 4# and absolutely amazing.

I have another X5 that was bought slightly used with a full GGI competition job. That one (not upgraded) arrived at Robert's shop early last week. I went with Robert mostly because of several recommendations from shooters that I knew, and the fact that the GGI triggers are not legal for IDPA SSP division. I needed to get a trigger job that used the factory Sig trigger unit. The X5 (IMO) is an perfect weapon for SSP class.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, Gunnar971 said:

Thread Revivie!

TIA

The GGI trigger IS legal for IDPA ESP division, but it's not allowed for SSP.