Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading for the AR 15

chetc

just picked up a new AR 17 and the max OAL is 2.250, i have some 75 Amax bullets, i load them with 24grs of Varget and at the length of 1.265 at that length the bullet is so far in the case that the start of the ogive is below the neck, looks weird, i only loaded 5, are they safe to shoot, going to look for some other bullets that i can load at 1.260 in the heavier bullets my barrel twist is 1-8, any suggestions on bullets to get

Chet

The Amax bullet is designed for bolt guns. If you are looking for a heavier .224 bullet and like Hornady try the Match 75gr. HPBT. If can be loaded in a length that will fit into an AR15 mag. Other bullets that would work are the 77gr Sierra MK and Nosler 77gr CC. A 1-8 twist should work for all of the bullets listed. I would pull the 5 bullets you have loaded since they may not have enough neck tension to prevent bullet set back in a semi auto.

1.265 ? I would guess that is a typo. Amax bullets need to be loaded longer than HPBT. According to the Hornady manual , 75gr A-Max for Vargnt starts at 19.4gr to max load of 23.5gr for a velocity of 2200-2600 respectively. COL is 2.39". Don't try to shoot those rounds that you made.

I would like to do some long range shooting with my AR-15, and wonder what is the highest BC bullet that can be loaded to feed reliable from a magazine. Would the max OAL then be 2.260 in/ 57.4 mm? Affordable bullets would be nice also.

My barrel is 1:8 twist, so it should be able to stabilize bullets up to 80 grains.

Would it be a bad idea to also use such a load with a heavier bullet for 3 gun? I suppose the heavier bullets will have more drop.

I would like to do some long range shooting with my AR-15, and wonder what is the highest BC bullet that can be loaded to feed reliable from a magazine. Would the max OAL then be 2.260 in/ 57.4 mm? Affordable bullets would be nice also.
My barrel is 1:8 twist, so it should be able to stabilize bullets up to 80 grains.
Would it be a bad idea to also use such a load with a heavier bullet for 3 gun? I suppose the heavier bullets will have more drop.

75gr's 2.260 OAL

You need to pay attention to the intended use and loading of the bullets that you choose. 75 AMAX and almost all bullets over 77g are not intended for magazine length use. When you look in a loading book for a 75 amax or an 80g SMK etc. you will see that the OALs exceed magazine length. Likewise, there is little to no benefit in loading lond bullets that are intended to be shot from a magazine length like the 77g SMK, 77SMK, 75 hornady BTHP etc. 77 TMK and SMKs shoot so well loaded to mag length there is not a reason to try and load them long.

Barnes did just come up with a 85gr bullet for mag length loading but that's only very recent and pretty much everything else is 75 or 77. I've tried the 75 Hornady match and like them. Is anyone here a fan of the Privi 75? Guys I shoot multigun matches with say they like the 69gr for 200-400 yd stages at times b/c it's an affordable factory offering versus loading their own.

Edited by yellowfin

Barnes did just come up with a 85gr bullet for mag length loading but that's only very recent and pretty much everything else is 75 or 77. I've tried the 75 Hornady match and like them. Is anyone here a fan of the Privi 75? Guys I shoot multigun matches with say they like the 69gr for 200-400 yd stages at times b/c it's an affordable factory offering versus loading their own.

Link?

An 85gr pure copper bullet has to be really long, which means low powder/velocity.

it's an affordable factory offering versus loading their own.

You might try some standard factory 55 gr 's at 400 yards

and see if the accuracy is holding you back.

Little reason to reload .223 anymore - lots of good factory

ammo for low $$$. :cheers:

I disagree. Name one factory ammo that shoots 1" groups for less than $.20 a round?

My Hornady 55gr FMJBT loads do for $.17 each last time I bought components, and groups hover right around an inch. My Sierra 69gr load cost about $.32 each, and are consistently under an inch.

But yep, trying different factory, different brands, bullet weights, will help you figure out what bullet your rifle likes without investing money into them reloading.

it's an affordable factory offering versus loading their own.

You might try some standard factory 55 gr 's at 400 yards

and see if the accuracy is holding you back.

Little reason to reload .223 anymore - lots of good factory

ammo for low $$$. :cheers:

what kind of factory ammo that you like, from where and what $$

In my experience, Privi 75g "Match" bullets are complete junk compared to most anything else out there in terms of accuracy I have not tried any of their factory loaded ammo. Remember that there is no stanrard for "Match" or "Match grade" and there is a reason that good bullets cost more.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, Privi 75g "Match" bullets are complete junk compared to most anything else out there in terms of accuracy I have not tried any of their factory loaded ammo. Remember that there is no stanrard for "Match" or "Match grade" and there is a reason that good bullets cost more.

When I tried the PRVI 75s, they performed worse than my handloaded 55gr "hoser" ammo at 200y.

That was factory ammo though, didnt bother trying to load with them.