Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RESURGENCE TACTICAL 3-GUN 2016

Two shotgun questions. Will shotguns need slings? I know pistols must be worn on all stages, regardless if they are to be used. Does that apply to ammo methods of carry? I have an old school shotgun shell belt with a couple caddies on it, can I remove it when not needed?

Thanks!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shotguns do not require slings nor are they prohibited. Some guys used to use slings with 20 loops sewn in for ammo, etc., but that was more for ammo carry than anything else.

You may reconfigure gear between stages. That was one of the first questions my brother and I asked in 1995, when we found that carrying everything for shotgun, rifle AND pistol just couldn't be concealed under an "open front sport coat to light weight open front zip jacket."

You could theoretically carry no pistol ammo as long as you carried the pistol, but remember, you may transition to pistol IF the long gun on a stage goes down (and I mean Broken to the point where you cannot make it work, not just a jam).

ericm

So a competitor may use a flapped M-12 type holster on a stage where the pistol is carried but not required to be used, and change to a open top kydex holster for example on a different stage?

Or carry ammo in belt pouches and switch to a chest rig/vest for a different stage?

So a competitor may use a flapped M-12 type holster on a stage where the pistol is carried but not required to be used, and change to a open top kydex holster for example on a different stage?

Or carry ammo in belt pouches and switch to a chest rig/vest for a different stage?

Correct! Granted that the chest rig/vest mag holders are within the rule guidelines.

I just don't want to see a shower cap, covering your pistol!

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, Remington is running rebate deal on their "Value Pack" Express buckshot. You can buy two 100 round packs (200 total rounds in eight 25 round boxes) and get $25 rebate for each (total $50 bucks rebate). I found Rem Express 12ga 2 3/4 00 buck priced at $85 per 100 pack at Academy Sports, which isn't bad price. Then subtract $25 more per pack, ~60 cent/round.

• 2 weeks later...

Much thanks to the SMM3G staff for their "SOF" theme based stages. Hopefully everyone enjoyed it, and it was a welcome change. Everyone seemed to have a good time, and the match reports were great as well as the stages. A ton of thought goes into trying to get away with this, good on all the SMM3G staff, and all involved, well done!

Resurgence promises to be that and more, with JP Enterprises as the title sponsor, and with many others on board already, the prizes are looking great. Although our format will differ some, you will not even get to see the stages until it's your time to shoot. After sign in/checking zero, there will be a shooter meeting, bring something comfortable to sit on, adult beverages are welcome of course and get ready for "THE" shooter meeting. Then the following morning at 0800..game on!

The terrain at the Blue Steel Ranch is high desert (4500'), you will be traveling to and from stages on foot, mostly.... We are recommending a back pack with all ancillary equipment.

There will be designated parking areas, restrooms and 1000's of yards back to your car when you forget something.

There will only be 2 stages in an actual berm, the rest will be in the field...some very close, some intimate close and of course long range, nothing crazy but we never went out past 500yards.

More information will be posted as the time get closer...that is all.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much any 12 ga ammo was considered to be fine, low recoil or not, since a lot of LE used exclusively department ammo which was low recoil.

I would contend that low recoil 12 ga is still pretty impressive as far as effect is concerned.

We would only start to be concerned / angry / vindictive if the ammo was clearly reloaded and made a small popping noise when fired and a small pinging sound when hitting steel :devil:

Also, various mini-shells would probably get close scrutiny....they would have to BOOM instead of pop.

The stuff you show is fine....

ericm

RE:

"5.8.5. Magazine pouches for the pistol may leave no more than 2 inches protruding from the magazine carrier while those for the rifle may leave no more than 2 inches of a 20 round magazine protruding or 3 inches of a 30 round or greater magazine...." emphasis on greater

Does this mean the the 60 round Surefire is permitted?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm finalizing my belt gear, and I just have a few questions to make sure I'm compliant. first with regards to rule 5.4.2, is a Comp-Tac QB or Blade-tech OWB holster consider a Field Holster so as long as they meet the requirements of 5.5? Also as for shotgun loading / holding devices, going through the 10 pages of post, the only thing that stood out was Eric's first few post but I just would like clarification if my Carbon Arms pinwheels setup is SOF compliant? I'll be bringing my MMC's anyways but if I had to load I would prefer to do it load two style.

Also just a rules question, rule 7.11 DQ's shooters for dropping a Loaded Firearm. If a pistol that is unloaded drops to the gorund by accident what's the shooters course of action? Are we allowed to pick it back up and continue shooting?

Edited by DocMedic

The 2 holsters mentioned are both described as "concealable holsters" on the 2 websites :devil:

....and they are also listed as "perfect for competition" and "legal for all competition"....

So, yes, gamer, you can use them as a "field holster" remembering 5.5 of course! :devil:

As to your second question, SOF was silent on shotgun loading methods, so use them.....

As to your third question, IF an UNLOADED handgun tumbles out of your "secure field holster", you may recover it subject to the close scrutiny and direction of the RO (AND THEY WILL CALL YOU BACK) i.e. showing the current long gun is on safe, laying it down carefully in a safe direction, retrieving the handgun in a safe direction, showing the RO an empty handgun, carefully reholstering the handgun, carefully reacquiring the long gun and then proceeding upon direction of the RO. This process may take up to, oh say, 20 - 30 seconds +/- depending on the RO.....They might even ask you to slow down for safety if you're trying to rush things....

ericm

Best to crank that screw in the holster all the way down. A 'flying' pistol, unloaded or not, would give me as the RO the knee-jerk reaction of yelling "STOP" and then sort it out - on the clock, no fun and more than enough of a penalty :o

Rifle AND Shotgun rule changes

1. 4.2.1. Optics designated as RESURGENCE battle worthy: Steyr AUG optic, Colt 3X or 4X optic or copy, Elcan optic, Trijicon ACOG 3.5X or 4X optic, Trijicon Reflex fight and U.S. Optics SN-4 & SN-5 scopes.
    2. 4.2.2. Rifles in the optic category are allowed any combination of single or multiple optic sights. [2016 addendum]
  1. 4.3. No compensators on any weapon unless general military or in issue form. Through the barrel and / or slide porting is considered a compensator. A flash hider that is otherwise identical to the military flash hider except that is has a restricted exit is acceptable. [2016: Ported slides functionally equivalent to Glock 34-35 are permitted.]
  2. 4.4. A weapon can be replaced for use in later stages or strings of fire with a substantially identical weapon if it becomes unserviceable during a stage or string of fire and the MD approves the substitution.
  3. 4.5. PISTOLS. It is intended that the competitor use a practical service pistol
    1. 4.5.1. The maximum barrel length for revolvers is 6 inches and for auto pistols 5 inches [2016] 5.31"
    2. 4.5.2. Auto pistols can be no heavier than 42 oz (unloaded, no magazine). and revolvers may weigh no more than 45 oz.
    3. 4.5.3. No extended front sights to increase sight radius
    4. 4.5.4. Pistol may not begin stages of fire with an extended magazine in place except where the extension is no larger than a reasonable duty magazine base pad. This will allow most double column pistols to begin with a +2 base pad but no more.
  4. 4.6. RIFLES will be service rifles or the nearst available civilian equivalent
    1. 4.6.1. Rifles will be equipped with a sling or carry strap
    2. 4.6.2. Major caliber rifles may weigh no more than 11 pounds without optics or 12.5 pounds with optics.
    3. 4.6.3. Minor caliber rifles may weigh no more than 9.0 pounds without optics or 10.5 with optics
    4. 4.6.4. Rifles must be of military caliber
    5. 4.6.5. Rifles will be weighed empty, without magazine, but otherwise complete with sling and another attached accessories.
    6. 4.6.6. A bipod may be used providing the rifle makes weight with the bipod attached and the bipod extends no more than 14 inches
    7. 4.6.7. Rifles must be equipped with battle sights (no target sights, e.g. globe or dual aperture sights)
  5. 4.7. SHOTGUNS will be semi auto or manually operated (eg pump action). Barrel length is not restricted [2016]
    1. 4.7.1. A shotgun magazine tube may not extend more than 23.5" past the front edge of the shotgun receiver [2016]
    2. 4.7.2. Detachable magazines are allowed, but magazine carriers must meet the provisions of the 3" rule as outlined in Rule 5.8.5
  6. 4.8. Any device on the weapon to carry extra ammo must comply with rule 5.7 and must be secure enough to hold the ammo during rigorous movement.

Hope this help guys. After some thought we decided on what you have just read.

Innovation is very important, and we understand that things are different now, and for sure these changes WILL NOT take away from the true "SOF " feel you will experience on the stages. I can tell you the stages are going to be more physical and demanding on the shooter.

Jimmy

Jimmy: on rifle comps - I thought I'd read earlier that outlaw 3-gun comps (1" x 3") were permitted. What about suppressor adapters like Surefire? The Marine Corps is (was?) using them three years ago. With six rifles in the safe, I don't particularly want to build another one for one match.