Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RESURGENCE TACTICAL 3-GUN 2016

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has not been an estimated round count yet.

However....

If you plan on bringing about:

200 Rifle

200 Pistol

100 SGN Buckshot

25 SGN Slugs

...that should cover the match easily.

Maybe a few more rifle if you want to confirm zero on Thursday.

This is what Jimmy and I have discussed....more updates to follow as details are finalized.

ericm

Got a couple of pictures from a shooter showing his mag pouches and asking if they were OK.

They were fine and I feel compelled to clarify....

IF your pouches have a full width flap that goes from the belt side of the pouch up and over the top of the mag and fastens to the front of the pouch with velcro, snaps, buckles, etc., then the pouches do not have to meet the 2" and 3" exposed mag rule (5.8.5). The flap(s) must be in place and fastened at the start of an exercise.

A simple bungee cord retainer does not qualify as a "flap"; and such pouches would have to meet the 2" and 3" rule.

The 5.8.5 rule is only for exposed top magazine holders.

ericm

• 4 weeks later...

Eric

Just weighed the rifle on the bathroom scale. My HK MR762 weighs in at 12.8lbs with Vortex scope and sling. Are the extra .3lbs going to be a deal breaker?

Best

Don

Make sure that bathroom scale is close to accurate.

I was weighed once at SOF w/ my H&K 93 w/ leather sling and it was WAY over (all stock gun, too) where my scale said it was fine. They "let" me replace my nice shooting sling w/ a piece of paracord and run it that way.....it was still slightly over, heaviest 16" .223 carbine ever.... :goof:

A little fudge (factor) is fine, but too much can make you ill :devil:

ericm

P.S.: Got this PM and thought it was prescient. There was always a little leeway at SOF, it just might come with a pain factor however; carrying a 93 on paracord kinda cuts to the bone so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, In September Competition Dynamics will be administering a "throwback SOF type 3-Gun" match in Logan, NM at the Blue Steel Ranch hosted by JP Enterprises. This match will have the full flavor of the "old SOF" days, Jesse Tischauser thinks we are old :)...lol, much respect to him.
Anyway...there is 10K/3 in cash for the top finishers, 30K+in product from JP Enterprises, and awesome giveways.
We know this not a "mainstream type" match, but if you ever wanted to shoot and experience a tactical type match, that paved the way for 3-gun today, and every organization in the US followed and used their rules at some point, this is it!
With 3-gun now, we think it is at it's saturation point, Back in the day there were 3-4 matches that one much shoot...Period... SOF, SMM3G and the VIking Tactics 3-Gun Tactical Match.
Now there are literally 100's of matches, and still the same 3-4 must shoot matches.
There will be some side matches, Burris Optics is putting scopes on JP rifles, the Machine Gun Tours monster truck will be there for you to try to shoot out of as well as some Epic courses of fire!

Now is the time for questions, for we are over 2 months out.

Jimmy

Edited by VNGunfighter

Hey Guys, In September Competition Dynamics will be administering a "throwback SOF type 3-Gun" match in Logan, NM at the Blue Steel Ranch hosted by JP Enterprises. This match will have the full flavor of the "old SOF" days, Jesse Tischauser thinks we are old :)...lol, much respect to him.

Anyway...there is 10K/3 in cash for the top finishers, 30K+in product from JP Enterprises, and awesome giveways.

We know this not a "mainstream type" match, but if you ever wanted to shoot and experience a tactical type match, that paved the way for 3-gun today, and every organization in the US followed and used their rules at some point, this is it!

With 3-gun now, we think it is at it's saturation point, Back in the day there were 3-4 matches that one much shoot...Period... SOF, SMM3G and the VIking Tactics 3-Gun Tactical Match.

Now there are literally 100's of matches, and still the same 3-4 must shoot matches.

There will be some side matches, Burris Optics is putting scopes on JP rifles, the Machine Gun Tours monster truck will be there for you to try to shoot out of as well as some Epic courses of fire!

Now is the time for questions, for we are over 2 months out.

Jimmy

Hey Guys,

I had my computer taken over by "ransomware" (Google it, you won't believe it) and lost all my saved emails. This includes my registration info and anything else that was sent to me. I'm trying to recover all those emails, but it doesn't look good. Is there any way to recover them from your end?

• 4 weeks later...

CHANGES!

Hey Guys,

2 classes NOW for JP Enterprises Resurgence Tactical 3-Gun!

"SOF TRADITIONAL"...with very, Very VERY few changes to weapon systems and equipement!

"SOF MODERN"...ANYTHING GOES. Of course all caliber/gauge restrictions apply here in original rule set, 9mm minimum pistol caliber and so on...

Honestly we thought we would have more shooters and with the shotgun rule changes.

Talking with the title sponsor, he really wants this match to "go" and share the experience of the old SOF days with everyone. The match staff feel the same way, and there will be no changes in the stages to cater to ANY weapon system. I just wouldn't crawl "through the wire" with a Ghost holster!

We hope this helps, and know it might be too late to for some.

Any questions, please let me know.

As always Eric will be lurking in the shadows!

2 weeks from "match go" we will be emailing everyone with confirmations, and squading requests.

Jimmy

Match info here: www.competition-dynamics.com and www.resurgence3gun.com

5 hours ago, VNGunfighter said:

CHANGES!

Hey Guys,

2 classes NOW for JP Enterprises Resurgence Tactical 3-Gun!

"SOF TRADITIONAL"...with very, Very VERY few changes to weapon systems and equipement!

"SOF MODERN"...ANYTHING GOES. Of course all caliber/gauge restrictions apply here in original rule set, 9mm minimum pistol caliber and so on...

Honestly we thought we would have more shooters and with the shotgun rule changes.

Talking with the title sponsor, he really wants this match to "go" and share the experience of the old SOF days with everyone. The match staff feel the same way, and there will be no changes in the stages to cater to ANY weapon system. I just wouldn't crawl "through the wire" with a Ghost holster!

We hope this helps, and know it might be too late to for some.

Any questions, please let me know.

As always Eric will be lurking in the shadows!

2 weeks from "match go" we will be emailing everyone with confirmations, and squading requests.

Jimmy

Match info here: www.competition-dynamics.com and www.resurgence3gun.com

I had Eric M //// AKA ""Plain White Wrapper"" Look over my Shotgun and equipment belt at the RM3G! he gave it the thumbs up!

Don't ask him why he has that magazine, hanging Flavor Flav,,,, around his neck:ph34r:

JP, gave another explanation about this match,  I'll call it a thinking mans 3 Gun. no choreographed walk through,, so you will have to Think your way through each stage. .

Sounds interesting to me!

The Open or Modern class will have NO gear restrictions as far as holsters, mag carriers, etc. Magazine basepads can be any color:ph34r: for example.

The Traditional class (Scope and Irons shoot together and each has a 100% winner on any stage using rifle) still abide by the rules as shown on the website, including subdued colors of base pads to blend in with the terrain, just like the old match wanted:devil:  (Tape always worked :devil:.)

The match will have a Traditional class winner and a Modern class winner and two separate prize tables.

This is so we don't accidentally, God forbid, mix Modern and Traditional folks together:devil:.

I wandered around RM3G last week looking at gear, and was surprised at how much would be Resurgence Traditional legal, even on the "new" shooters. Some things don't need to change to still work.....

ericm 

This new division is a great development. Now newer 3-gunners can participate without the distraction of having to source extra equipment or modify what they have. It is also their chance to whip the old-timers butts and show how the newest generation of match equipment can be effective in "practical" applications, and is not just for gaming :devil:

In my case, part of the fun has been working out what new gear I need to fit within the traditional SOF rules. I am excited about this match in a way I haven't been for any other match in many a year. Can't wait :D

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I really like the new rule change.  I decided to wait til last minute (cause then it only takes a minute, right?) to worry about gear requirements for this match and now my utter lack of preparation has paid off!  

Still awaiting final confirmation from my friends at JP Enterprises, but it looks like there's a sponsored shooter slot with my name on it!  When I was younger, I used to read SOF and dream of someday shooting their 3-Gun match out in Vegas, so I'm really pumped to experience the "grand daddy" match that started them all.  See ya'll out there.    

ETA:  Got confirmation from JP Enterprises today that my slot is confirmed.  :)

I'm normally the guy walking a stage a dozen times the day prior to shooting so I'm interested to see how things unfold when we're forced to think on our feet with no stage preview. . . I fully expect to be humbled.  Looking forward to this one.     

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Hey jimmy - I read the rules and I'm a bit unclear on a few things...

1) Is this holster set-up permitted? (see image)
2) Are de-cocker type pistols allowed? I have a stock "CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical" (40.5 ounces) which is a duty pistol by design 
3) I know Neon base-pads are not allowed... (which is a great rule description and reason, by the way) but can my rifle bed red?
4) Are non-military issue, but 3-gun legal compensators allowed or do they have to be military style i.e. flash hiders only? " 

4.3. No compensators on any weapon unless general military or in issue form ... 

1. 13.3. Rifle muzzle brakes / compensators will be permitted as long as they are not longer than 3" or have a diameter larger than 1".

. 5) is this tube too long (see image)

Thanks,

Chris van der Walt

gear set-up.jpg

shotgun 11-87.jpg

All these answers assume you are trying to meet Traditional class, not Modern:

1. Pistol holster looks OK, pistol mag carrier to left of pistol NOT OK, pistol mag carrier to right of pistol looks OK provided not more than 2" of magazine protrudes from carrier, rifle mag carrier looks OK BUT mags as shown look like they exceed the 3" above carrier rule. REMEMBER: 2" for pistol mags, 2" for 20 rd rifle mags, 3" for 30 rd and above rifle mags.

2. Your "de-cocker" pistol is fine. See Rule 7.5 for movement and Rule 7.9

3. I assume you meant "...can my rifle BE red." YES, stickers, colors, etc. are fine on guns, just not mag base pads (hey, you want the old-time flavor don't you???)

4. 3 gun legal compensators are OK

5. The SGN tube appears to be over 23.5" from the front of the receiver as per rule 7.4.1 and appears to be NOT OK:devil:

I know it's a hard and long read, but many of these questions are discussed and answered in this 12 page tome.

Thanks for posting pic's; it helps to see the actual questionble gear and helps others visualize...

ericm

So I am unsure about shotgun barrel length with the addition of the new modern class.  I am wanting to be in non-modern class.  Originally the rules only allowed 22" barrels.  Then you made a change to allow longer barrels.  Since you now have the modern class, will the rules for the non-modern class return to 22" or shorter shotgun barrels?  Also, on pistol mags, the rules say you must start with the mag that is no more than +2.  After that point, could someone with say a 2011 use a 170mm mag assuming the mag pouches cover it as necessary?  Sorry if this was already asked.

Traditional class shotgun barrel length remains unlimited for this match. Mag tube can be no longer than 23.5" from front of receiver in Traditional class

Modern class shotgun barrel length is unlimited for this match. Mag tube can be any length in Modern class.

Your understanding of the Traditional class pistol rules is correct, reload mag could be 170 mm if carried correctly.

ericm