Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAQs of new shooters

SSGJohnV

Hi All,

I'm putting together a intro to action pistol youtube series. Filming next weekend and hoping to have it released around new years.

What are the most frequently asked questions from new shooters? Going for a 3-5ish video series for the new shooters, then moving on to intermediate stuff like stage planning, the draw, and movement.

Looking for input on what I should address for the first couple of vids as a kind of primer to bring more new shooters out to the range. Thanks!

-John V

When can I load my gun? When and where can I load my mags? Where can I draw my gun? Do I have to shoot at the steel until I run out of ammo? How many mags do I need? What kind of holster do I need?

You can only load your gun AFTER the RO gives you the command to "Make Ready".

You can load your mags anywhere EXCEPT at the Safe Table.

You only can draw your gun at the Safe Table or when it is your turn at the line, after the command to "Make Ready".

You do NOT have to shoot at steel until you run out of ammo.

You need enough mags to complete a 32 round course of fire.

You need any kind of STRONG SIDE, OWB you want/can afford.

Just woke up so this will be a rough go, bear with me.

Each of these topics can be broken down into several different videos, some topics into quite a few videos.

1. Intro: Basic overview of what action shooting is. Who does it and why. Where can you do it. Sanctioning bodies and types of matches they offer. Entrance and/or membership fees. Benefits.

2. Pistols: Basic rules on what can be used at each type of match. Ballpark low/mid cost estimate of each (there is no upper limit).

3. Ammo: How much required for each match. Is reloading necessary. Major vs Minor. Pros and cons of each caliber choice.

4. Gear: Eyes, ears, belt, holster, magazines, mag holders, clothing, shoes, kneepads, training aids, range bags.

5. Matches: Basic range commands. Qualifying/classifying. Etiquette, sportsmanship and volunteering. Basic stage procedures and no-no's. Squadding. Scoring.

6. Improvement: Drills. Drawing. Dry fire. Live fire. Controlled pairs. Marksmanship. Mental preparedness. Fitness.

When can I load my gun? When and where can I load my mags? Where can I draw my gun? Do I have to shoot at the steel until I run out of ammo? How many mags do I need? What kind of holster do I need?

You only can draw your gun at the Safe Table or when it is your turn at the line, after the command to "Make Ready".

Yes, I know all that. He was asking what should he address for new (er) shooters....

Yes, I know all that. He was asking what should he address for new (er) shooters....
Hilarious! Reading ALL the posts helps.

Actually holster position and type are not restricted in Open, Limited, L10 or Revolver. Only Production and Single Stack, which has both holster and magazine holder restrictions. I regulalry shoot an IWB holster from appendix position in Limited.

Rules Appendix D1 Open, D2 Limited, D3 Limited 10 and D6 Revolver are under rule # 20 Holster restrictions NO.

Appendix IWB Holster

NROI Ruling 5/30/2014

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=59

Question:
I can see nothing that would prevent a competitor from using a holster of safe design, inside the waistband, at a position forward of the hip bone, say 2:00 or even cross draw at 10:00, so long as they were in L10 or Limited Division and all other holster & drawing rules in section 5 and the Appendix Limited or L10 holster rules were complied with. Correct?
Answer:
Correct, 5.2.6 states USPSA Handgun matches will not require the use of a particular type or brand of holster. However, the Range Master may deem that a competitor’s holster is unsafe and order that it be improved to his satisfaction, failing which it must be withdrawn from the match. Divisions may restrict a specific type of holster. It is not one of the illegal holsters as outlined in 5.2.7 and following sub 5.2.7 rules. Some folks may be using the last paragraph of 5.2.6 as a reason to ban this type of holster because of 10.5.5, but that is wrong as 10.5.5.1 gives an exception to sweeping the extremities below the belt during the draw and holstering. If the competitor can demonstrate that they can draw and holster the handgun safely, there is no reason to not allow it, same as a cross draw holster
Edited by 9x45

OP, the first rule for any new shooter is don't point your gun at me. First time shooters are over whelmed, especially for the clubs that do not require a half/full day competition class before they shoot their first match. And you can't overload them with rules, and gear, and stuff, it just takes several matches to figure it out. What I do put them last on the squad and have them watch what all the other shooters are doing, and then tell them you are not going to do that. Then we give them a nice easy D class plan and coach them thru the stage, focusing on finger off and accuracy, not speed, and trying to get them to remember what their hits looked like. If they are shaking too badly, we just start them from the low ready. They need to have a first good experience to build their confidence up. Newbies can watch all the videos they want, but at some point they need to load and make ready. My video would be 5 seconds long, saying take a competition shooting class first.

Edited by 9x45

I'd start with showing a typical stage being shot, to convey how much FUN the sport is. Get them excited about participation.

Next, focus on the basic safety and participation protocols:

- Cold Range/Safety Area

- Range Commands

- Safety Rules

- Etiquette

Maybe some easy-to-remember tips for success:

- Tell the RO it is your first match.

- Have a basic stage plan (target engagement order, reload locations).

- Focus on the sights and trigger pull.

- Go slow, be safe, survive your first match. Speed will come soon enough.

- Learn from what the more experienced shooters do.

For equipment, I recommend running whatever they already own in Limited or Open for several matches until they get the hang of what their options are. They just need the most basic of guidelines: 9mm+ caliber, strong side belt holster that covers the trigger, enough magazines to carry 32+ rounds onto the stage. With almost zero experience, the equipment minutiae matter little and can be a huge distraction... way too many newbies use "not having the right gear" as an excuse for delaying their entry into the sport.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

All great input. Thabks for that. I think the first video will be a pure intro. Meaning, the bare bones to interest a new shooter and put out the bare minimum before they show up. The follow on videos will go a little more into the division system and such.

I'd like to expand the series after the initial intro vids to include gear reviews and uspsa specific training tips.

OP, the first rule for any new shooter is don't point your gun at me. First time shooters are over whelmed, especially for the clubs that do not require a half/full day competition class before they shoot their first match. And you can't overload them with rules, and gear, and stuff, it just takes several matches to figure it out. What I do put them last on the squad and have them watch what all the other shooters are doing, and then tell them you are not going to do that. Then we give them a nice easy D class plan and coach them thru the stage, focusing on finger off and accuracy, not speed, and trying to get them to remember what their hits looked like. If they are shaking too badly, we just start them from the low ready. They need to have a first good experience to build their confidence up. Newbies can watch all the videos they want, but at some point they need to load and make ready. My video would be 5 seconds long, saying take a competition shooting class first.

I challenge you draw from a cross draw holster and not break the 180.

Off thread, but I said IWB appendix position, not cross draw. So do you let shooters in your match that run FBI canted holsters? They start out breaking the 180.

Before USPSA, before IPSC, before electric ears, before optics, before wide body 1911's, before Kydex and nylon/mylar, before electric timers, before 8 round sticks, before cell phones and computers, long before Glocks, and maybe even before you were born, this is how we used to roll.... I still have my old Ernie Hill rig and belt around somewhere. Even had a hair cut like that, but I had to wear glasses for vision correction.

image37155.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Off thread, but I said IWB appendix position, not cross draw. So do you let shooters in your match that run FBI canted holsters? They start out breaking the 180.

I quoted the wrong post. From before that one you said,"If the competitor can demonstrate that they can draw and holster the handgun safely, there is no reason to not allow it, same as a cross draw holster"

Edited to add a holster is allowed if it points within 3 feet of the shooter. FYI can't is covered by that. Cross draw is a totally different animal

Edited by Sarge

For some guidance and to avoid reinventing the wheel, I would suggest that you start by looking at some videos and information that is already on the web at many USPSA club websites. The South Florida club comes to mind with some good "new shooter" info and videos - see http://www.sfpc.org/?page_id=31and http://www.sfpc.org/?page_id=29. A little bit of searching will yield lots of others. Best of luck, Adam.

Juipiteradam. Will do. Going to go over what's available and try to add to it with my dashing good looks, superior talkability, and charisma.

Seriously, though, the intro part is more like a entry point to the stuff I really want to make regarding training and stage breakdowns. Doesn't seem to be a lot out there in that regard. Hook new shooters with the basics, and go from there.

Before USPSA, before IPSC, before electric ears, before optics, before wide body 1911's, before Kydex and nylon/mylar, before electric timers, before 8 round sticks, before cell phones and computers, long before Glocks, and maybe even before you were born, this is how we used to roll.... I still have my old Ernie Hill rig and belt around somewhere. Even had a hair cut like that, but I had to wear glasses for vision correction.

image37155.jpg

I hope you had a stash and hat like that to ... Very stylish ! And let's not forget the weak hand thumb and index finger position ... Very important .... :)

Here is something I downloaded from this site years ago.

We were ‘Newbies’ Once... And Young

It’s easy to forget; For some of us shooting IPSC has been a part of our lives for years, decades in some cases. But there was a time when we were ‘newbies’. We have become so acclimatized to shooting matches that in some cases we forget how confusing this whole thing is for the new shooter.

Not only do they have to remember not to shoot anyone or break the 90 degree rule, but they have to figure out how the match is run, what happens when they get to the berm, what does ‘on-deck’ and ‘in the hole’ mean. And why do people keep giving them a roll of brown tape....???

So here is the ‘newbies’ guide to shooting a match; We will assume for the moment that you have successfully completed your handgun safety course and that you are familiar with how to use the firearm safely, blah, blah, blah...

Sign-Up. The matches usually start at either 9am or 10am. If possible try to arrive a couple of hours before this. Then you can help with the stage setup. You will be amazed at what you can learn whilst putting up a stage. You will see how the designer works out all the angles and the positioning of the targets. While putting up the stage you may start to figure out the best way to shoot that stage.

Fill out the score sheets. Make sure that you put your FULL name and the type of division that your are shooting in on the score sheet. If you have a USPSA number then put that down as well. Don’t forget to indicate if you are shooting MAJOR or MINOR.

Squadding. Try to latch on to someone that you know at the match, sign up at the same time as that person to increase your chances of being on the same squad. Once everyone has signed up the Match Director does his little safety speech, pay close attention to this as there may be announcements at the same time. As part of the talk the Match Director (he who must be obeyed) will indicate the squadding. He will say something like ‘Squads of 15’. On your score sheet will be your shooter number, If you are 1-15 then you are in Squad 1. If you are 16-30 then you are in Squad 2... etc..

Briefing. There then follows the hike up and down the shooting range while the Match Director spells out what the course of fire is for each stage. Try to get at the front of the crowd to make sure that you can hear what is said. Don’t worry if you miss some of it as it is all written down on a piece of paper that stays on that particular berm. If you have questions, now is the time to ask them. Don’t be afraid to ask a dumb question, we have all been here before and we have all asked dumb questions at one time or another; In fact some shooters make a habit of asking dumb questions just to rile up the Match Director (he who must be ridiculed). Once all the briefings have been done then everyone splits off into their respective squads and heads to the correct berm. If you are in Squad 1, go to berm 1. If you are in Squad 2 then go to berm 2... Do you see a pattern emerging here ?

The Berm. Okay we have made our way to the correct berm, the butterflies are doing acrobatics in your abdomen but don’t worry, it’s going to be okay. First things first, someone will be collecting score-sheets. Find the correct score-sheet for this stage, if you are not sure which is the correct score sheet then ask someone.

Walkthrough. The walk through is a vital part of the stage, this is the opportunity to walk through the course of fire as if you were shooting it, leave the gun in the holster at this point. Handling the gun without the supervision of an RO

(Range Officer) causes a tremendous amount of excitement... but not the good kind; You will suffer a match disqualification which means you get to go home very early and install shelving in the kitchen. If you are unsure of the best way to shoot the stage - and bear in mind there may be many ways to shoot a stage - then don’t be afraid to ask for help. We were all new at this once and everyone will happily offer advice. The trick for the first few matches is to keep it simple.

Procedure. Once all the walking through is done, then it’s time to start shooting. There will be an RO (Range Officer) and a scorekeeper. These are usually people of have done a few matches and who are familiar with the rules. Some have completed extensive USPSA training to become RO’s but there is no training to be a scorekeeper, which is why checking your score sheet is so important. More on that later. The scorekeeper will call out the name of the first, second and third shooter. The first shooter will be called the ‘shooter’, (pretty obvious so far), the second shooter will be called as ‘on deck’, the third shooter will be ‘in the hole’. Don’t ask why they are called that, it may go back to some dark masonic ritual. If you as a ‘newbie’ are called to shoot first, tell the scorekeeper that you would like to be moved down a bit in the shooting order, this gives you an opportunity to watch some other people make a complete twit of themselves before it’s your turn in the spotlight.

Workers. Once the list of the shooter and the two standby shooters have been called, then the scorekeeper will call the names of the people who have to work. They will typically call two people to ‘patch’ or ‘tape’ and one person to set steel, assuming that there are steel targets on this stage. And one or two people to ‘brass’.

Patching/Taping. If your name is called as a PATCHER or TAPER then grab a roll of brown sticky tape, it’s hard to miss, it looks like a very flat inedible donut. As the RO scores the targets - actually AFTER the RO scores the targets - you can tear off an inch of tape and patch the holes. There is white tape for the no-shoot targets and black tape for the hardcover targets. Make sure that the tape is pressed down firmly and not left all curly.

Brassing. If your name is called to BRASS then it means that you get to scrabble around in the dirt and pick up the shooter’s empty cases. Most shooters have a ‘brass bag’ for this purpose. It should be pointed out that the bag itself is not brass, but it is a bag for holding brass. I think is is important to clear up that misunderstanding.

Shooting. This is the stuff where you get to do your thing. You should be familiar with the standard procedures, such as

‘LOAD AND MAKE READY’, ‘STANDBY’, ‘BEEP’..bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, fumbled reload, bang, bang, bang, ‘OH SH*T WHERE DO I GO NOW ???’, bang, bang. ‘UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR’. ‘GUN IS CLEAR, HAMMER DOWN, HOLSTER’. By now you are out of breath and wondering if you screwed up or not. Don’t worry about screwing up, as long as you are safe then no-one will laugh, we were all ‘newbies’ once.

Scoring. The RO will now proceed to score your targets - don’t worry about picking up your brass cases or your empty magazines your squad-mates will take care of that - you will get plenty of opportunities to pay back this kindness later. Follow the RO around as he scores your targets, look at where your shots are. If they are too low or too high then some adjustment of your sights may be in order. The RO will call out the hits and misses and the no-shoots and the procedural errors that you had for running over the fault lines that you missed in all the excitement. The job of the scorekeeper is to immortalise all this data on your score sheet and total up all the hits, misses and no-shoots etc..

Checking. Once the scoring has completed the scorekeeper will hand you the score sheet to check and sign. Check the score-sheet, make sure it is your score-sheet and not someone else's, make sure that the time is recorded correctly. Make sure that the total number of Hits and Misses totals the number of rounds on the stage. If you are happy then sign it, if you

are not happy then call the scorekeeper a blithering ignoramus and indicate the cause of your displeasure. Once the error has

been corrected to your satisfaction then you can sign the score-sheet. The scores remain with the scorekeeper who will see that they are handed in at the end of each stage.

Preparation. Clean your magazines that you dropped all over the floor and load them up ready for the next stage.

Helping. Once you have prepared everything for the next stage, you may want to help out with the Patching or Brassing.

Even if your name has not been called to help, helping to patch and brass keeps the squads moving and prevents delays in the match. Alternatively you may want to follow the scorekeeper around to see how the score sheet is marked up. That way you can do this duty yourself after a few matches.

Remember. Shooting is a volunteer sport. Everybody loves a volunteer, nobody loves a slacker. Everybody loves the shooter that turns up early to set up the match, nobody likes the shooter that turns up late and leaves early. Everybody loves the shooter that help to patch and brass, nobody likes the shooter that slinks off the berm once they have shot and then slithers back like a snake at the end of the stage just as everyone else is done shooting. Everybody loves the shooter that brings donuts, I’ll say that again... everybody loves the shooter that bring donuts....!

image37155.jpg

I hope you had a stash and hat like that to ... Very stylish ! And let's not forget the weak hand thumb and index finger position ... Very important .... :)
Well I was born in 59 so you're not as experienced as you might think.:)

What was the rule set like back then. I could live with that holster position but would be watching for any wobble of the gun beyond the 180. Is that how it was way back when?

Well I was born in 59 so you're not as experienced as you might think. :)

What was the rule set like back then. I could live with that holster position but would be watching for any wobble of the gun beyond the 180. Is that how it was way back when?

Declaring OFF THREAD again, but really? I started with Cooper in 67. So yea, I have some experience. This was before IPSC, no rules, only engagement. You could live with that holster position? That's how it was back then, you make a mistake, you got stopped and lectured. A DQ is a self correcting problem... It was then, it is now. Don't ever try to put hands on a shooter and try to control him, their immediate reaction is to tighten up and pull the trigger. My partner did that one time, and the guy put a cap within inches of his arm. You only yell STOP, which is the only command a USPSA RO can issue between start and finish.

Yea, I did! Rod and could have been brothers, although he was younger and better looking. We were both bikers back then also. If you could see my avatar pic up close, I have my weak thumb touching my index finger at the trigger, from the old days.... But even more cool, I was rolling in my 74 TransAm, 455SD, bad ass back in the day.

74transam4.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Well I was born in 59 so you're not as experienced as you might think. :)

Declaring OFF THREAD again, but really? I started with Cooper in 67. So yea, I have some experience. This was before IPSC, no rules, only engagement. You could live with that holster position? That's how it was back then, you make a mistake, you got stopped and lectured. A DQ is a self correcting problem... It was then, it is now. Don't ever try to put hands on a shooter and try to control him, their immediate reaction is to tighten up and pull the trigger. My partner did that one time, and the guy put a cap within inches of his arm. You only yell STOP, which is the only command a USPSA RO can issue between start and finish.

Wow, you are quite the drifter! :) you said maybe even before I was born. I was pointing out that that isn't likely.

Also, who in the heck said anything about grabbing a shooter?

I'm sure your experienced and don't doubt it at all , just not pre 59.