Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder to replace Clays?

BLT

Any suggestions on what powder would feel the same as Clays for STI Edge in 40 cal? Clays is becoming really hard to find. I'm shooting 180 and 200 gr lead bullets for maj power factor.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a lb of clays 4 days ago and shot a few rounds with it this morning. I now understand what Steve RA has been talking about in the what's your favorite powder threads now. Super soft and very accurate. Wish I would of bought the other two lbs they had also.

Clay dot and e3 have a very similar feel.

I tried the old standby, 700X. I found it is really close in feel. As of now it is my go to powder in the .45 using Blue Bullet and Montana Gold 230 grain bullets. It may even be adjacent to it on the burn rate chart. The only drawback is you really have to tamp it down and add the Wally World aquarium pump to the powder hopper to get consistent drops.

Went and bought 4 lbs after I tested it, and of course found 8 pounders at Cabelas a week later. So, I'm doing OK.

the problem with clays (I believe) is that it's one of the Hodgdon powders that is made in australia by ADI (division of Thales). That company (ADI) had some production problems in the last 2 years (fire in a powder drying facility etc) which set their production back. They have stated everything is back online at at full steam now so supply of clays should be back up in the US now or very soon.

If you get a chance, try some Solo 1000. I haven't tried it in 40--but in 45 I honestly believe it's just a touch softer than Clays.

I have friend who uses Solo 1000 and loves it. I should load both and see him w they feel.

Question for Steve RA,

When I check the different powders out there, I found several with the name "clays" in it.
Just want to make sure I am on the hunt for the right one. (please see picture)
This is the powder you are talking about....right?

post-61429-0-23719800-1448675988_thumb.j

Question for Steve RA,

When I check the different powders out there, I found several with the name "clays" in it.

Just want to make sure I am on the hunt for the right one. (please see picture)

This is the powder you are talking about....right?

Yes, it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some Clays today.
Looking on the Hodgdon website and pluggin the numbers into a powerfactor calculator, I do not see a load for a 180gr FP that will make Major

power factor.
Does anyone have a know and tested load that will make Major?

Also there is not load data for 147gr 9mm RN
Anyone have a known load that will reach Minor PF for that one?

Thanks

Also there is not load data for 147gr 9mm RN

Anyone have a known load that will reach Minor PF for that one?

I use 2.8 gr of Clays pushing a 147 gr Bayou bullet. I get 132 PF out of my G17 and my best friends Trojan. Ridiculously soft out of the Trojan. With a moly 147, I had to use 3.0 to 3.2 gr.

Remoandiris, what OAL are you loading those at?

As you being a new(er) reloader, I would suggest caution when using Clays to make major with. It is a very fast powder and the spikes in pressure go up extremely fast. That being said, others have made major with Clays, without any adverse affects, while others have very expensive paperweights due to trying to make major with Clays.