Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enlarging Grip Distance on AR so Finger Falls on Trigger

Frankly

Wondering if there are any off the shelf solutions for increasing the distance between the AR grip and trigger?

I have XL hands and would love to have the first joint of my finger naturally fall upon the trigger but with all normal grips I'm either scrunching my hand lower (and losing control) or firing with the second joint.

Seems like somebody should have a plastic gizmo that would move the grip back an inch.... send royalties please.

Wondering if there are any off the shelf solutions for increasing the distance between the AR grip and trigger?

I have XL hands and would love to have the first joint of my finger naturally fall upon the trigger but with all normal grips I'm either scrunching my hand lower (and losing control) or firing with the second joint.

Seems like somebody should have a plastic gizmo that would move the grip back an inch.... send royalties please.

You could look at the Magpul MIAD grip. It comes with different back straps.

I really need a full inch of rearward space, I wear 12 glove and even the MAID isn't cutting it, it would need a huge backstrap . This is what I use now and it fills my hand but it doesn't move my long fingers any further back. It's a leftover MOE with a Pachmayr palm swell.

IMG_1657.JPG

Edited by Frankly

A long time ago I used a Speedlock Systems "Slipgrip" for Highpower competition it added about 3/4" rearward distance to any AR grip.

May still be available from David Tubbs web store.

Checked the Tubb store no "Slipgrip" but he has

http://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-competition-shooting-accessories/ar15-grip-composite

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

Use a grip with a backstrap and the CMC flat trigger. That is what I did.

P1000274_zps401f0e6e.jpg

^^^^^^ This is what I was about to suggest. I have the Ergo grip shown here and a curved trigger. Ideally, I need a little more space so a flat trigger would likely be best for me. Somehow, it needs to be set forward more.

Here is the Rite-Pull grip adapter from Brownells that just arrived today... it works fine, my finger falls perfectly on trigger. It is made from a dense plastic like Magpul stuff, so yes you could strip the threads if you really cranked on it but if you go that hard then you probably break lots of other things too.

It does look stupid but it works. Had I known about the Accu-Grip.net (one message up) I would have gotten one without a doubt but since this was already in my mailbox I decided to try using it. I may still get an Accu-Grip but I'll shoot this for a while to see how it holds up.

(After looking at the Accu-Grip videos I think they are pretty similar designs so I won't run out to get one so long as this one works OK. I already built up the Magpul grip with some padding to fill my hand better and it is working pretty well.)

As a reference, if you have a lot of extra money, these custom wooden grips from Germany would be the ultimate: http://www.nill-griffe.com/Tuning_Parts_32.htmlI have a Rink Grip on a target pistol, same idea, very nice stuff but probably in the $400 range.

IMG_1812.JPG

Edited by Frankly

• 2 months later...

Just to add to the knowledge base, I got a Accu-Grip and while it is nicely made, I do not think it will be as strong as using the Rite-Grip spacer w conventional fixed grip. Both are plastic but the Rite Grip has more bearing surface versus the Accu-Grip which depends on small ratchet-type grooving to be adjustable. At max extension it is the same distance as the Rite Grip but dependent on only 3-4 of those tiny grooves to hold the grip. Both look equally stupid and the Accu-Grip has more of a straight up and down pistol grip angle.