Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big butt grips - why?

subsonic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Those are the major reasons. ^^^

Minor reasons include added mass assisting in recoil. Weight is back behind grip acting as counterweight especially an ebony butt. The butt also acts as a hook for lightening fast draws when conditions are less than ideal.

No one has a BB grip because they look cool. They all look hideous. Here are some of mine.

post-21005-0-59505100-1447647486_thumb.j

Might help to try them yourself. They made a big difference in feel for me. Suddenly my off/left hand played a big role in steering the gun. My little pinky was suddenly part of my shooting. I can't say they helped me keep the gun flatter in recoil. However, in feel and pointing/driving the gun, they were worth buying for me. I tried, then purchased.

I whittled the wood end cap down to fit my hands better. Like it on my 625 shooting Major PF. Don't like it as much on the 627, can't seem to get my grip quite as high. Noticed a slight difference in recoil and shot placement between the regular hogue rubber and the hogue rubber big butt when shooting my 627. Tracked it down to being able to get a higher grip with the regular rubber grips. But on the 625 it forces my hand to ride lower and seems to help keep my thumb from getting beat up.

I have had many BB grips. None were comfortable. I have large hands and long fingers. Recently went to a Nils grip. They are awesome. Trigger finger is in the right position, and I feel my control is much better. Pricey, but well worth the wait for me.

Where can I get one? I checked the Hogue site and coudn't find it.

I have a 625JM round butt, N frame.

www.4wheelguns.com has some in stock, additionally hogue has a ton on their website with all types of diffrent woods and checkering options.

http://www.hogueinc.com/grips/S&W/nframe/roundbutt/conversion/wood

you want

S&W Grips N frame round butt, then click round to square conversion, then pick your wood, then pick the big butts.

For ICORE shooters, on the Near and Far Standards stage, you can go prone and use the big butt as a monopod for more stability. I believe this was the original purpose of the Big Butt grip.

And NRA Action pistol.

Tom

Big Butts also help when shooting weak hand strings and table start stages.

Weak hand stage draw with index(trigger finger) right above big butt and middle finger on the groove on the front of big butt. Makes for a very secure draw and very easy transition to the weak hand as entire grip is available for weak hand.

Table starts the big butts hold the grip up slightly making for a slightly easier grab. Not a lot of difference but it all adds up.

Slight problem with the new Big butt grips, the screw provided doesn't contact the caged nut provided. I even tried pushing down on the grip to take all of the play out and shimming the cage nut to get it as close to the grip as possible. Any ideas? It's on a S&W 625 JM model. Thanks.

Usually the screw is a little too long. Are you are certain that the cage nut is staying aligned as you slide the grip on? Sometimes you have to look up into the hole and straiten the bracket with the nut to get it to line up. If you are sure it's the screw that's too short, I would just go down to Lowes and buy a stainless replacement. I have replaced all mine with a socket head stainless screws.

Edited by Gregg K

Looking down inside the grip, the screw hole is too far forward in the square chanel, misaligned so not allowing the caged nut and square retainer to center properly in the grip. So when I try to align the cage nut from the outside of the grip, it cocks too far to the rear.

The screw hits the cage nut retainer and doesn't contact the threads.

I have gotten used to getting it to line up as I slide the grip on but when I miss and it is a little to one side I just stick something like a tiny screwdriver or an ice pick through the hole in the bottom of the grip and into the center of the nut and force it to the center to align with the screw hole.