Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 9mm Loaded Target to 40 S&W begins.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Since my search for a Springfield 1911 in 40 is going no where fast, I decided to build a new top end for my 9mm. The parts are a Caspian 5" steel slide, Schuemann 5" W/N ramp bushing barrel, Dawson firing pin, Caspian extractor, Ed Brown firing pin stop, ISMI firing pin spring, EGW guide rod. EGW barrel bushing, EGW link, Dawson fiber front sight, Dawson rear Bo-Mar type sight. I still have to decide on what serrations I am going to do and how light I want to make the slide. I have the slide and frame fitted already. Going to change out all the other parts on the frame as well. The parts came from Shooters Connection and Dawson Precision. Thanks, Eric

post-9254-0-57185600-1447352237_thumb.jp

post-9254-0-65828800-1447352253_thumb.jp

I did that to a Kimber last year. Turned out nice (ugly until I get the slide coated, it has a bad parkerizing job on it for now).

I used a STI slide and Kart EZ fit barrel and bushing.

Biggest hurdle was getting it to feed reliably, EGW higher mag catch was huge in fixing the erratic feeding.

I shoot 1.120" OAL, same as my Caspian limited gun and it's as reliable as any 1911 I have. It's softer shooting than my Les Baer .45 and as accurate.

I left the lower stock, it had about 15K rounds through it and has a nice trigger. I did have to have the frame cut for the Wilson/Nolin ramp and disable the firing pin block deactivator, easy enough with a file. A very fun project.

I don't know how extended your ejector is but that might be an area that pops up...are you going to load long for the .45 mags you said you use for .40 in another thread? I put a Delta Elite slide and Schuemann barrel on a frame that was from a .38 Super Open gun (single stack, yes a pretty old Open gun) and had to cut the ejector back to even with the back of the magwell in the frame when the extended tip got bent from a too vigorous slide-lock mag change.

Edited by gino_aki

Hello: I saw toothed the top of the slide and cut the front and rear sight cuts in so far. I think I am going to tri-top the slide next. If I get the weight down I may be able to use a tungsten guide rod and steel mainspring housing. Still trying to decide on which serrations I am going to do, Trophy Match style or Loaded angle style. Thanks, Eric

Eric, I did a 40 top end on a Caspian SS race frame recently. STI carbon slide with CP ramped Infinity barrel. I had to tri top the slide and fit a Caspian aluminum grip safety to get 42.8 oz. with a steel guide rod. I will probably do black Cerakote on the slide when finished. Good luck with your build. Doug

post-38721-0-85837600-1448107124_thumb.j

post-38721-0-81484500-1448107166_thumb.j

Hello: That is great hear you can get enough out of the slide to use a tungsten guide rod. I did not think I would like the tungsten guide rods because of the added weight. I added one to my Limited gun I just built and really like it. The light slide it has and the full dust cover makes it shoot very well with no problems with transitions for me. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

Hello: I finished the serrations today. The new top end is all machined now. The gun weights in at 41.27054 ozs with a Metalform Elite 45 mag and Dawson aluminum base pad. Going to try a tungsten guide rod, steel mainspring housing and some lighter grips. Thanks, Eric

What grips do you have. If they are G10 material then you can always relieve the interior of them and save a bunch of weight there. Also there are more ways of shaving weight off of the slide without putting go fast holes in it. I've seen a few smiths turn out SS legal sub 10 oz slides.

Looking good Eric. I had a 9mm built last summer. STI slide and frame, and had the slide tri-topped with a french border milled in right at the lower angle of the tri-top (just because). Mine weighs in at 42.5 oz with a Tripp mag even with the steel MSH from S&A. Originally I tried to order their aluminum MSH but they were out of stock. But seeing as I make weight with the the current setup, I'll probably stay with the steel MSH.

I've been shooting 9mm in SS for most of the fall and I kind of like it. I also have my 1911 in .40 and one in .45 when I want to shoot major PF, but at the local level I'm finding the extra 2 rnds is nice to have and the recoil is stupid soft.

Hi there, I am actually thinking the same but I have a springfield loade 1911 in 9mm (full gun). When you had a 40 upper (slide and barrel), does the 40 barrel fit the frame as a drop in? What I am after is a swappable upper so I can have it as a 9mm or a 40.

Hello: The Springfield Loaded 9mm uses a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel. The barrel and slide will have to be fitted without touching the frame. Mine is a direct swap. Take the 9mm setup off and install the 40 setup. The only thing I had to change on the frame was the ejector but use it for both top ends. I am using a EGW ejector that I tuned for both the 9mm and 40. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The Springfield Loaded 9mm uses a Wilson/Nowlin ramped barrel. The barrel and slide will have to be fitted without touching the frame. Mine is a direct swap. Take the 9mm setup off and install the 40 setup. The only thing I had to change on the frame was the ejector but use it for both top ends. I am using a EGW ejector that I tuned for both the 9mm and 40. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

awesome - thanks; so is the 9mm ramp narrower? so you had to narrow down 40 barrel ramp?

awesome - thanks; so is the 9mm ramp narrower? so you had to narrow down 40 barrel ramp?

The ramp cut in the frame is standard and will work for both calibers

Hello: The Springfield Loaded 9mm uses a Wilson/Nowlin ramp so I bought a Schuemann barrel with the same ramp in 40. Looks like I will be tri topping my 9mm slide as well to get the slide speed up and reduce weight. I will also be playing around with weight of different components to see what works for me the best. Lots of cool things to try out with a 1911. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...